www.simsforums.com - the Sims series, computer games & other nonsense since March 2008.
Cover Versions - The Good The Bad & "I'm Going To Kill Them For This!" - Printable Version

+- www.simsforums.com - the Sims series, computer games & other nonsense since March 2008. (https://www.simsforums.com)
+-- Forum: The Sims Forums Community (/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Thread: Cover Versions - The Good The Bad & "I'm Going To Kill Them For This!" (/showthread.php?tid=11626)

Pages: 1 2 3

Cover Versions - The Good The Bad & "I'm Going To Kill Them For This!" - Minty - 22-03-2013 09:44 PM

I'm prompted to do this after hearing the following:

I don't care that it's for charity. One Direction ought to be throttled for what they did to Teenage Kicks (for the ten seconds or whatever of murder they committed to it), & that has to be the blandest version of Blondie's "One Way Or Another" ever.

Here's the originals, compare & contrast -

Feel free to add your own "better than"s or "worse than"s.

Egyptiandance Wacko Fryingpan

RE: Cover Versions - The Good The Bad & "I'm Going To Kill Them For This!" - Ollie - 22-03-2013 10:25 PM

I'm sorry Sommie, but One direction, doing that, it's a big no no in my books. How dare they do that to Blondies song and Teenage kicks (which I've never heard of until now, so thank you Minty for that great song).

RE: Cover Versions - The Good The Bad & "I'm Going To Kill Them For This!" - gothika - 23-03-2013 01:53 AM

I personally loved the cover of 1Ds.

To each their own.

RE: Cover Versions - The Good The Bad & "I'm Going To Kill Them For This!" - Caspin - 23-03-2013 10:23 AM

Ehhhhhhhhh dear (do it in Yorkshire accent).

I have to sit with Minty on this one. Especially Teenage Kicks, which I love. Having said that, I listened to the One Direction version first and it did have me up and dancing round the room, as far as the headphones cable would let me stray from the computer.

Also how marvellous that after Teenage Kicks the little YouTube box then reminded me of 500 miles by The Proclaimers. Ah, good times.

RE: Cover Versions - The Good The Bad & "I'm Going To Kill Them For This!" - Minty - 23-03-2013 12:11 PM

Here's one in the opposite direction:

The cover later was so good, he appeared it the video for it. The song that launched a million wedding reception first dances!

Anyone got something more recent?

RE: Cover Versions - The Good The Bad & "I'm Going To Kill Them For This!" - Caspin - 23-03-2013 06:10 PM

I hate wedding receptions. Down with them I say!

Like the song though and enjoyed listening to the original, which I haven't heard before.

When anyone says 'cover version' I always think of Lou Reed's 'Perfect Day', which has been covered loads of times. I like Mr Reed to sing it though.

Better than listening to Susan Boyle do it. The lady can sing but I don't like her voice.

RE: Cover Versions - The Good The Bad & "I'm Going To Kill Them For This!" - Caspin - 23-03-2013 10:13 PM

Alrighty here is another. My Head of IT has been playing me cover versions of songs all day and reminded me of this one, which seems appropriate considering the insane snow blizzard going on outside.

Not the original, I don't think, but near enough:

And a version by Tom Jones and Cerys Matthews (if you need some singing doing, bring out the Welsh), which I happen to really like. I don't prefer it to the original, I like them both.

I have more ideas but I need to find the videos on YouTube ...

RE: Cover Versions - The Good The Bad & "I'm Going To Kill Them For This!" - Minty - 24-03-2013 11:02 AM

Here's another example of a cover that was done far better when they got the Welsh to do it.

Elvis' original was a complete flop - Dave Edmunds version was a worldwide hit, his second biggest after "I Hear You Knocking". No wonder.

RE: Cover Versions - The Good The Bad & "I'm Going To Kill Them For This!" - Caspin - 24-03-2013 02:03 PM

Love the people roller-skating down the street in that video. Wheeeeeee!

OK, don't laugh at me - be nice! When I was younger (so much younger than today) I loved Bananarama. Actually I still do love Bananarama.

So here you go - 'Venus' by Dutch group Shocking Blue.

And Bananarama's version from the 1980s.

Must have cost them all of ten quid to make that video. Biggrin

On reflection I think I prefer the original (please note that does not diminish my love of Bananarama).

Now you'll have to excuse me while I go and don some fluorescent leg-warmers and re-live my youth.

Listeningtomusic

RE: Cover Versions - The Good The Bad & "I'm Going To Kill Them For This!" - Caspin - 24-03-2013 08:26 PM

Now I am officially addicted to comparing cover versions of songs. Someone stop me!

Betty Hutton's "It's Oh So Quiet":

And the wonderful Björk's version. Bless her craziness.

Both versions are delightfully mad but I love Björk so I'm going to pick her version as my favourite.

Sohappy