Login:
or Register

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 4.5 Average
The Official Nonsense Thread
28-12-2013, 11:51 PM
RE: The Official Nonsense Thread
That doesn't sound too great, Caspin.

Minty, not too long ago I found myself watching The Great Train robbery TV show, too bad it was on quite late and interfered with another TV show that I watch often.

[Image: od8QQA8.png]

Quote this message in a reply
29-12-2013, 02:26 PM
Thank goodness that was all you managed to suffer in the end. The worst thing about high winds isn't just the roofs blowing off, it's the parts turning into shrapnel destroying everything in sight. The weather up here right now is more like a fine spring day. So much for those worst winter in 50 years predictions back at the start of the month from the "experts".

London ain't what it used to be according to my brother (he lived there while working for Imperial College). There's always been a lot of standoffishness, but it is certainly worse than a decade ago. Mind you, there's the south side of Glasgow where the Asians are at near war with the Roma in places like Scotstoun but everyone pretending it's not going on. Maybe I'm getting old & cynical, but cities seem so much less friendly than they once were, & people are colder.

Oh yeah, forget what you've been hearing about bustling sales & record crowds at the sales up here - total fiddlesticks & flapdoodle this year yet again. Will dig up my Boxing Day photo from my phone later to show you.

I see someone in the papers today going on about nuclear fusion & talking about it not happening until 2040. WTF? They were talking about fusion reactors being a reality back in 2000! It's the old story: no one wants to fund the development properly, even though once they can be made it's game over as far as energy worries are concerned with minimal environmental impact (unlike fission). They want someone else to invent it, so they can get their spies to steal the blueprints.

Oh yeah, did a bit of BF2 playing lately - nice to see it's still as bad tempered as ever. It's like the officials Sims 4 section with guns! Biggrin

Egyptiandance Wacko Fryingpan

[Image: 135762.jpg]
29-12-2013, 06:26 PM (This post was last modified: 29-12-2013 06:27 PM by Caspin.)
I've lived down here for 14 years now (looks at self in shock). Originally I meant to stay for 4 years to do my PhD, so I'm already a decade late in moving back north and now it I don't know if that will ever happen. I don't mind people keeping to themselves, it's the outright hostility that I object to. People quietly going about their own business and don't want to chat - go right ahead. People physically throwing you out of their way because they are so super important and must get where they are going quickly while checking facebook on the phone stuck in front of their eyes - not so keen on that. They won't waste a second in telling you to fudge off, but can't be arsed to say good morning. I don't think it's particular cities - just people in the modern world. I just hope I never become that way.

Yes I am very glad that the damage to our house was minimal. We were lucky and we know it.

I have been playing TS3 today. Smile I will put some pictures up in a moment. I haven't installed my new expansions yet as I don't think I could cope if anything went wrong. I will save that for a future weekend.

Now I need to do some packing as tomorrow I'm supposed to get the train to the south-west to spend a few days in Cornwall. There's meant to be more bad weather down there over night so we shall see how far I get tomorrow. My life is one big train journey. Yes
30-12-2013, 01:41 AM
I agree completely with you about how unfriendly people are. It's hard to put a finger on when it all went wrong, when the world became a more callous place to live.

Was it when politicians OPENLY told lies & no longer had to resign when caught out? Was it when we lowered the bar with reality TV shows where people were encouraged to be the worst they could be? Was it when we started punishing people for being honest, good, kind; and being cruel, dishonest & shitty became "right" & worthy of reward?

I dunno, but I'm long tired of waiting for the backlash they've been promising.

30-12-2013, 09:18 AM
I think it started in the 1980s.

Looks like the trains are running so I'd better start getting ready to do battle with the railway. Catch you guys later. Don't worry, there's wifi down there so I can still talk at you!

Big Grin
31-12-2013, 06:29 PM
The winds are starting to whip up here so we could get that big storm after all.

I see that Caspin has made it into that Six Of The Best awards Sims 3 malarkey again. I have done my bit, but I see that the sugary cult are all voting for their mistress in droves. That's the whole lot of them voted in one night I'll bet, so plenty of time for our Caspin to catch up!

Vote Caspin for Most Entertaining Poster outside of the officials

Vote Caspin for Best Quote

OK Miss goody two shoes Berry Sweet. You wanna battle? Let's be 'avin' ya!

01-01-2014, 04:45 PM
I'm somewhat mystified but it's always nice to see some appreciation of limericks as an art form. Biggrin

Did the big storm hit? Apparently there are MORE on the way. I am starting to feel like I am reading the same weather report every day.

Yesterday down here we had bright sunshine, rain, wind and occasional hail. The sea during a sunny spell looked inviting (but no, I did not go for a dip).

[Image: image-3.jpg]

It was pretty quiet at midnight - just a few fireworks. I do like a peaceful new year these days. My wild Hogmanay days are behind me! Today went for a slightly precarious walk on the coast path and now have some seriously muddy clothes and boots to pack. Delightful.

Home again tomorrow, trains allowing, then everything back to normal.
02-01-2014, 06:06 PM
Up here the weather largely behaved itself, except for some mad squally showers. The storms were meant to hit us today, but once again it appears they've called it wrong.

Hibs vs Hearts tonight, & we have to win this to have any real chance of survival. In reality we were doomed to relegation from the start (a squad of only 18 players with all but two under 22 year old), but the theory is that young squads do better in the second half of the season when the weather gets better & the legs of the older pros start to tire off. Either that or it's the latest "clutched straws" doing the rounds!

My brother & his wife came back from South Africa, the whole country's still down in the dumps over Mandela - & they're both down in the dumps because the sales were crap! Biggrin

04-01-2014, 04:03 PM
Hmmmm. Bad luck there Minty!

Wow, South Africa is very far away. An awfully long way to go for the shops!

As you can see, I am safely returned from the south-west. Train was delayed by flooding but thank goodness I chose to travel on Thursday, as another storm hit that night and multiple lightening strikes took out a lot of the signals!

This afternoon I installed Generations and Into the Future. That is finally the end of the series. I am really excited that the game is "complete". There is so much that I haven't done yet. I always start out a game thinking that I'll try some new idea but then I get settled into my usual sort of thing. It's like a comfy old pair of slippers.
04-01-2014, 10:22 PM
I'm currently holidaying on the New South Wales Central Coast. Yesterday I was out swimming on the beach and came back home to find myself in imesureable pain, looking like a shriveled up lobster.

[Image: od8QQA8.png]