Click me to see why these adverts are here

Login:
or Register

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 4.5 Average
The Official Nonsense Thread
01-10-2014, 10:53 AM
RE: The Official Nonsense Thread
I am going to start a new award each year for the householder with the clearest gutters and I think Minty will win every time. Tongue It makes me wonder what state our gutters are in, given that they are four floors up and I can't imagine anybody ever cleaning them out.

If I allowed an hour per day I don't think I'd be able to keep up with the influx of spiders - we are overrun, I tell you! And some of them are huge. I got trapped with one in the shower yesterday as I didn't notice it before I'd hopped into the tub - we kept running to different ends of the bath to avoid each other. He was very speedy. Eventually I managed to catch him in jam jar from the recycling box. I keep chucking them out into the garden and they merrily stroll back in. I don't really understand why people kill them, though - I do get creeped out by the big spindly ones but I appreciate our spiders and their useful munching of greater foes (and then they themselves can be munched by the poor hungry birdies) so I will continue to capture and release rather than squish.

I'm off work today due to feeling like complete shine. Hopefully I will make it back in tomorrow, as I'm then off again to go up north to check on the various unwell family members. I am hoping that I can get to the match on Saturday as well, although I seem to be the only one enthusiastic about that plan. I suppose I might just go by myself if nobody else is up for it. It's not too cold yet so I should be all right - when they play in the winter it's so cold in the stand that I need my brother and my dad either side as windbreaks. Biggrin
Quote this message in a reply
03-10-2014, 12:10 AM
Sorry you're feeling unwell. I was death warmed up on Tuesday & had 24 hours to get sorted for yesterday's latest 2nd interview, which went far better than expected. If I get offered this one as well I'll be convinced someone's trying to torment me.

Spent the afternoon finishing the summer project stripping all the upstairs windows sealants & replacing it with 10 yr guaranteed mold resistant stuff, which in the very hot 3pm sun (as opposed to the bitterly cold 7am earlier) dried very quickly. The house is looking ship shape for my return to work & all I'll have to worry about now is the leaves at weekends.

Elsewhere I got some revenge as I was offered a spare flu jab today from my surgery due to someone dropping out. A few hours later I was back to go to their rivals across the corridor (three different practices share the surgery) to have my medical & complete the formalities of moving to them. I was also told that I'm far from the first, & will be far from the last, as they're sold booked with medicals for next week. Eventually the local health board's going to start wondering why so many people are leaving one practice to "cross the floor" (& why a "partnership" seems rather reluctant to take on any partners but a never ending series of locums) & with any luck they'll have their board licence revoked or whatever you call it.

My organisation disturbs me at times.

Egyptiandance Wacko Fryingpan

[Image: 135762.jpg]
03-10-2014, 08:07 AM
I had my flu jab yesterday morning at a chemist, on the way to work. I was feeling better yesterday so was able to go into work. My arm is a bit sore from the injection but that's fine by me. Infinitely better than getting flu, which nearly finished me off when I last had it nine or ten years ago.

I have arrived safely back in the north now and have woken up in my childhood bed, which is always a bit strange. Everyone here seems to be holding up reasonably well, given the circumstances. And tomorrow we are going to the match so yay! Clapping

Enjoy your last few days of leisure, Minty. Was it terrific fun to go and tell the job centre that you won't be seeing them again? The weekends will feel great now!
04-10-2014, 10:13 PM (This post was last modified: 05-10-2014 03:07 PM by Caspin.)
That was something of a sorry debacle. Sometimes the players act as though the ball is on fire, they are so desperate to get rid of it. It spends more time out of use than in play. Bizarre. And why is that they prefer to header the ball rather than kick it? Even to the extent of dropping to their knees to be able to get their head to the ball?!

Still, after a fair bit of rain through the night, although not as much as promised, the sun did at least put in an appearance for the game. More importantly I got my favourite seat. Yes

[Image: imagejpg1-13.jpg]

We drew 2-2 so it could have been worse.

Also I bought a new badge, which made me laugh as it looks like a prefect's badge from a posh school. Biggrin
05-10-2014, 11:05 AM
The weather looked fab - up here it has been dreech all weekend.

That other company I was at an interview with who said they would let me know one way or another on Thursday never called back, & the headhunter people who now want me are too late as far as I'm concerned (plus if an offer sounds too good to be true, it's usually because it is). It's a relief in a way, as it means I can plough on with the new people without any "what if" moments to haunt.

Yesterday in Glasgow Central, a guy walking some way in front of me was searching for stuff in his white jacket pocket like he was rummaging in a cupboard, & a white plastic pen fell out of his pocket. I picked it up & caught up with him reckoning he'd be needing it. At first he denied it was his, I insisted it was - now wondering if this was some litter lout who couldn't have been bothered to find a bin. He changed his mind & looked up to say thanks.

It was Jim Sillars! Shocked

05-10-2014, 03:19 PM
These litter bugs, eh!

Yes it was sunny at the match. In fact if I hadn't borrowed some sunglasses from my mum I wouldn't have been able to see a damned thing. It is quite bright even today so I hung out a load of washing before heading back to the train. A fun visit in many ways and somewhat harrowing in others.

I am glad that you are feeling more settled about your job. The one true job. The one job to rule them all! For a while there it looked as though you might end up with an embarrassment of riches. Too much choice can be a bad thing.

Very good luck for tomorrow. I hope it's ok and you will work with nice people. And I will keep my fingers crossed that they don't make you do any nightmarish "ice breakers" or group hugs or something. Like that time we were given a craft box and had to make hats to wear and then were made to perform a pantomime. Let me know how it goes.
06-10-2014, 07:10 AM
Hi ho, hi ho - - - - -> Sohappy

(By the end of the month it will be PissedOff

06-10-2014, 10:03 PM (This post was last modified: 06-10-2014 10:05 PM by Caspin.)
Aw, I hope it was all right!

I am just going to do an experiment here to see if the iPad emoticons appear. Can you see funny animals and trees?

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

Is so, prepare yourselves, as there is little to stop me from going smilie crazy!

Bed time for me. Night-night.

Edit: Oh. Clearly the experiment has yielded a negative outcome and all the animals have become question marks. What a shame. Oh well!
07-10-2014, 06:58 AM
First day was fine but a lot to take in. I was shocked how easily I could get a train seat at that time of the morning when it's the worst line outside of London for passengers having to stand for as long as I can remember - another sign all the "green shoots of recovery" talk is crap.

Dosing myself with Vit C stuffs to avoid the traditional "new job cold" I always seem to get before the week's out Sick

07-10-2014, 08:48 AM
Well that's good news that the commute is not so terrible. If you can get a seat on a Monday morning then you should be OK for the rest of the week, I should think. Everyone here is sick and everyone at home is sick. Not full blown viruses, just annoying niggly coughs and headaches, that kind of thing. I was a bit headachy myself last week, but that could have been for so many reasons.

It's funny seeing you post in the morning instead of late at night, Minty. Although nice to know I'm not the only one up and about! Biggrin