Click me to see why these adverts are here

Login:
or Register

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 4.5 Average
The Official Nonsense Thread
03-05-2015, 02:29 PM
RE: The Official Nonsense Thread
That's OK, Ollie. After careful consideration I've decided to forgive you. You may come out of the stocks now and I'll stop chucking rotten veg at you. Tongue

My feline friends have been returned to their actual owners. I miss them a lot. They were very entertaining and sweet, even if I did have to frequently shovel up their poo. They were also rather stealthy and gave me a lot of frights, particular when they'd sneak into the bathroom and then I'd turn round and see them sitting there with their eyes glowing in the darkness. Oh well, hopefully they will give my accommodation a good review and then maybe they will return for their next holiday. It was very nice to thoroughly clean up the flat after they'd gone. The amount of cat hair was extraordinary! That is the one good thing about their departure - my place is spotless!

I was so looking forward to the long weekend (Monday is a bank holiday in the UK), so naturally I woke up yesterday with a sore throat and a bit headachy. I can't tell whether I've caught some silly virus or whether it's just allergies, as there are loads of horse chestnut trees round here, hurling masses of allergens into the air. Either way, I hope it passes soon. Having a sore throat did make Saturday night curry amazing though - the numbing effect of chillies was greatly appreciated!

I think I will spend this afternoon playing sims and gargling cognac.

Be good! Haveadrink
Quote this message in a reply
05-05-2015, 11:00 PM
Hello,

Apologies if I'm necro-ing this part of the thread. I figured I'd make my first stop the nonsense thread. Anyway, my experience with German is minimal but my favourite German word is Aufklärung (rough translation; enlightenment).
Okay, now I'll keep roaming through this thread and see what pops up. Have a good day.
06-05-2015, 01:14 PM
Yes, I find that nonsense is always a good starting point. But oh no - more German words for me to fail to pronounce!

Yesterday I went to look at the Indigenous Australia exhibition at the British Museum. It included some terrific art including huge paintings formed from dots of colour and some ginormous masks, including one of a crocodile that was wider than I am tall! You were supposed to wear it as a kind of hat but I'm sure I would just fall over. It was very interesting but also, of course, quite depressing, since the Aboriginal people and Torres Strait islanders have been so abused and oppressed. It seems amazing that Australia didn't even count them in the census until the 1970s. And, as ever, while some of the items on display were gifts from the Aborigines or were commissioned from their artists, so much was simply stolen from them. On one display you have all this information about how the Aborigines have maintained their culture for over 60,000 years and how important their land and their ancestors are to them, then on another you have information on how the British Museum accepts the fact that they'd like the human remains of their ancestors to be returned but the museum refuses.

It's one of those weird days here for which you need both a raincoat and sunglasses. It's messing up my head, I tell you.
06-05-2015, 09:22 PM
Aufklärung is a funny word indeed, for it refers not only to the age of enlightenment but also to "enlighten" your children - meaning, giving them "the talk". Biggrin
I'd love to explain how to say it, but couldn't think of an english word with the "ung" sound. "Auf" is pronounced "ouf" (like out, but with an f) and "klär" pretty much sounds like Claire. Man, I love explaining pronounciation. (And I hate typing words that long.^^)

To all of you who are British: Happy voting tomorrow!
(Has anyone ever wished anyone "happy voting"? Does it even make sense?)
I read some articles on the election in the UK today. Is it actually possible that a party has only one person in parliament? If we had that here, Parliaments would have, like, 15 parties each, most of them represented by 1 or 2 people.
07-05-2015, 01:37 AM
That's a new take on the word for me, Wandarine. So it can be applied to telling your kids about woohoo? That does make for some enlightenment. Okay, enough about German words.
Up in the True North (speaking of politics) Alberta changed their ruling provincial party after 4 decades. I don't know if going NDP will be a good thing for them (as it has stunk for other provinces) but we'll see.
08-05-2015, 04:00 PM
Moving back to Scotland has always been an attractive idea, but never more so than today. Several of my friends are also willing to go and several colleagues. I have already broken my promise not to go off on a mad political rant twice today, so I shall spare you here (lucky devils!). Suffice it to say that I am displeased with the election results across much of England and Wales. But that is that.

Wanda, yes a party can be represented in parliament by just one candidate. Or in fact you could have an independent candidate who does not belong to a party. Imagine if we had hundreds of MPs who were all independent - that would result in some true chaos, but the debates might be more entertaining. Maybe I should stand in 2020.

You will probably find this hard to believe, but after studying the above instructions, I reckon I can actually say "aufklärung". So if anyone needs me to introduce The Talk to any German-speaking youngsters, I'm right here and ready. I remember my mum giving me The Talk when I was a young Caspin - by the end we were both laughing our heads off!

Urgh, I am so done with today. I am going to go and drink an extraordinary amount of wine, eat something delicious followed by ice cream and watch a play. Then my equilibrium might be restored slightly. Thank goodness tomorrow is Saturday and I can just stay in bed and lament the state of the nation from beneath the duvet.

Try to enjoy your weekends!
09-05-2015, 02:30 AM
Sorry to hear that Cameron won again, Caspin. Sounds like the independent party and Labour took a beating this time around. Well, if you do move north, there's talk about another referendum in the works for Scotland. Geez, it's like Canada and Quebec all over again.
Stay cool and hope your weekend goes really well regardless of what goes down at 10 Downing.
09-05-2015, 12:13 PM
Quote:Yesterday I went to look at the Indigenous Australia exhibition at the British Museum. It included some terrific art including huge paintings formed from dots of colour and some ginormous masks, including one of a crocodile that was wider than I am tall! You were supposed to wear it as a kind of hat but I'm sure I would just fall over. It was very interesting but also, of course, quite depressing, since the Aboriginal people and Torres Strait islanders have been so abused and oppressed. It seems amazing that Australia didn't even count them in the census until the 1970s. And, as ever, while some of the items on display were gifts from the Aborigines or were commissioned from their artists, so much was simply stolen from them. On one display you have all this information about how the Aborigines have maintained their culture for over 60,000 years and how important their land and their ancestors are to them, then on another you have information on how the British Museum accepts the fact that they'd like the human remains of their ancestors to be returned but the museum refuses.

Indigenous Australians do have a fascinating culture and art. Last year in English we watched a film, Samson and Delilah. It was pretty interesting, presting issues that occur today in poorer aboriginal communities. In the same class we also read a playwright, Stolen, by Jane Harrison, focusing on the lives of indigenous Australians affected by the child removal policy.
I find it so sad that took so long for that law to be abolished, and then they had to wait until 2008 to get an official apology from the government.

[Image: od8QQA8.png]

10-05-2015, 03:55 PM
What happened to the weekend? Somehow it has sped past me! All I seem to have achieved is to buy a new washing machine and make a lasagne. Although, actually, the lasagne is only half made, but I will get there. It's important to savour these moments of freedom, as apparently fox hunting may be reintroduced and surely workhouses will follow. Barbaric "sport". I swear some people want to make us live inside an episode of fudging Downton Abbey. Excuse me for a moment while I give way to melodrama and despair.

Fence

I noticed, Ollie, on the calendar, that the end of this month features Australia's national "Sorry Day", a day to reflect on the wrongs done to the Aborigines.
11-05-2015, 10:41 PM (This post was last modified: 11-05-2015 10:42 PM by Caspin.)
I'm definitely getting better in yoga. Tonight I achieved some interesting angles! And only toppled over once. Yeah!

I wonder if Minty is ever coming back..... perhaps life is just too good north of the wall and he has forgotten us. Or he cannot forgive us for persuading him to get GTA.

Right, way past my bedtime night-night!