Click me to see why these adverts are here

Login:
or Register

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 4.5 Average
The Official Nonsense Thread
16-06-2015, 02:50 AM
RE: The Official Nonsense Thread
Recently a bunch of people started mourning Rue McClanahan's passing with much lamenting. She passed away 5 years ago. The Internet, ladies and gentlement.
Quote this message in a reply
17-06-2015, 12:56 PM
To be honest I'm really useless at knowing actors' names or remembering which programmes or plays they were in. Christopher Lee was an exception. I probably encounter the same people in different things all the time, but I don't see the actor, just the character they're playing at the time, so then I can't identify them when they appear elsewhere or see them in real life. I'd be hopeless at seeing through disguises! The benefit is that I can get completely absorbed in another world (my friends are afraid to let me try Oculus Rift in case I'm lost in there forever) but a side effect is that I never have a clue who anybody is.

I really need to get the latest GoT and get it watched. I can see that Wanda and Minty have been discussing it, but cannot venture into the thread due to risk of spoilers. It's miraculous that I've managed to get this far without hearing what has happened. The only things I know are that the series was generally thought to be less good than the last, but that the final episodes are exciting, and that it ends with a shock outcome.

In the meantime I've been watching the TV adaptation of Johnathan Strange and Mr Norrell. I enjoyed the book so I was nervous of watching it in case they ruined the version inside my head, but I think they've done a great job and it was brilliantly cast.
17-06-2015, 01:38 PM
Haha, I'm horrible at actors' names, too, but I still recognise them in different plays sometimes. That's, like, the worst of two worlds. Biggrin
Or maybe I'm just always picking shows with the same actors? I think I mentioned Continuum before, the time travel thing? Of the 7 people who are sent back in time, 2 have been on Stargate and one has been on Orphan Black, a show about clones that also has cylon Nr. 5 from Battlestar Galactica AND Daario from GoT. Needless to say, I don't know any of their real names.
17-06-2015, 10:24 PM (This post was last modified: 17-06-2015 10:29 PM by Caspin.)
Well that's good news that I'm not alone in my unknowing. We can sit together on the sofa and just point vaguely at the TV. Occasionally you will say "look, there's the guy who was in another thing" and I will respond "what guy, the wizard? never seen him before" And everyone else will shake their heads in disbelief. Minty may even roll his eyes.

Currently watching the Women's footy. Someone is injured (of course I don't know her name) and the physiotherapists have rushed in. I always fancied doing that job - running onto the pitch and applying the Magic Spray and Miracle Sponge. Must be fun. Perhaps I should retrain.

Oh, and someone has subjected me to a GoT spoiler. I'm not angry, just disappointed. Diablo
18-06-2015, 12:53 PM
I hope it was an accidental spoiler. If not, what kinda jerk did that?
20-06-2015, 02:33 PM
It was accidental. I saw something posted by Jon Snow (the newsreader). Unfortunate, but there you go. I suppose the expectation is that most people have seen it by now. It's not their fault I am so behind the times. Biggrin

Went last night to catch Death Of A Salesman. Lots of audience members shedding tears. I have to say I don't find that play particularly sad, as such. I find it frustrating and infuriating. But then it's a play about people, so that is to be expected.

For the past week the pollen levels have been so high I've felt as though my head has been filled up with glue. I need to go and get a really fiery curry so I can at least numb the sore throat for a little while. Bloody summer!
20-06-2015, 02:59 PM
Curry does the job for you, Caspin? I'd just take a Halls or something for a sore throat. Or lots and lots of tea. What about tea with chillies in it? That would probably work too.
22-06-2015, 08:42 AM
Mmmm, yes, curry does it for me. Tea as well. I'd take a throat lozenge if I was ill with a cold or something, but seeing as my hayfever is likely to span around three months, I'd rather deal with the symptoms with food/drinks that I'd be having anyway. Saturday night is always curry night for me, unless something untoward occurs or I'm away. I love the stuff!

Feeling a little better today, happily, after a load of rain fell in the night. It's warm, but the air feels clearer and my head is less cloudy. It's nice to have a moment of normality.

This weekend I binge-watched a load of "Orange Is The New Black" and managed to get to the end of the first series. I really enjoyed it. I think there are two more series to go.
27-06-2015, 03:13 AM
I've only seen commercials for 'Orange is the new black' but it looks interesting. Care to give your first impressions, Caspin?
28-06-2015, 01:42 PM
I've finished the first series and have just started the second. It's quite funny and there are loads of interesting characters. Not as good as Breaking Bad, perhaps, but entertaining all the same. One of those programmes where you find yourself rooting for the criminals!

I had a very weird week - I injured my right arm so have been struggling to do simple things like type, wash my hair and carry cups of tea. It was a bit like having tennis elbow but without the tennis. Fortunately it's getting better now. I'm going to have to wear one of those tubular bandages at yoga to remind myself that it's injured, otherwise I get all overenthusiastic and excited and start attempting things that are not really feasible.

Despite being physically incapacitated to a small degree, I was still able to go to the cinema and the theatre this week. I saw Ian McKellen as Sherlock Holmes in "Mr Holmes". It was quite a sweet film but I somehow managed to go to see the captioned version of the film and it was quite hard work to avoid reading the subtitles, particularly when there were two girls sitting just behind me who would occasionally read them out to each other!

On Friday I saw Measure For Measure at the Globe. That was hilarious and very saucy - terrific fun. It was baking hot though, even though I was right at the top where you get the best chance of a breeze. I don't know how the actors manage to keep going. I guess they must guzzle buckets of water when they go off stage. And all the people down in the pit looked like they were wilting.

Right, I'd better get on with some ironing. It may take a while with this dysfunctional elbow!