Click me to see why these adverts are here

Login:
or Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
April Fools joke, or not?
01-04-2009, 12:44 AM
April Fools joke, or not?
I am NOT the type of person to take a Virus threat seriously, because let's face it ... our anti-spyware and antivirus programs are good.  But, my best friend from back home called me, apparently this is ALL over the News back home (I'm from the east coast in USA, the state of Delaware) and even all the BIG News Stations from there are advising everyone to turn off their computers tonight and to NOT turn it back on until the 2nd.

This is what I found online about the threat the news station has mentioned.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/Technology/...story.html

Again, I am not one to take these "OMG A Virus!" threats seriously because it's usually a bunch of BS, especially since tomorrow is April Fool's Day.  But I've gotten a lot of people backing my friend up on what they saw and have seen online about this.  I dunno if I believe it or not yet myself, but who knows.  Might not be a bad idea to give the internet a rest anyway lol.

Again, the fact that the big name News Stations are warning people has me convinced this could very well be an actual, serious threat.

Just thought I'd share and give a heads up.

Member since March 17th, 2008
Forever and Always, a SimsForums Oldie
Quote this message in a reply
01-04-2009, 12:47 AM
Re: April Fools joke, or not?
{unsure} I say it's fake.
I mean IT is after all April Fool's Day tmmrw[The day I dread.]
So I don't know what to really say,it could be real. Or the local station played a trick on everyone.

01-04-2009, 12:50 AM
yea i heard about this, its all over the internet and microsoft is even giving people a $250,000 reward if they can catch who the creator is. Im not taking any chances though so i updated my antivirus program just to be sure Big Grin

[center][Image: CrowdSpringSiggy.jpg]
[/center]
01-04-2009, 12:51 AM
o-o
I don't even have an antivirus software. if this is real,i'm screwed.

01-04-2009, 12:52 AM
I figured it's fake too, since it is AFD tomorrow, but as I said, several big name stations are talking about it, and I doubt they'd want to cause state wide panic like that.

Could you imagine the lawsuits?

01-04-2009, 12:55 AM
OMG.
If it was fake,I would defiantly sue >_>

01-04-2009, 12:57 AM
Exactly.

Too many people run home based businesses.  Turning their computer off for the day is a full day of lost profit.  Actual big name companies could lose customers, etc.

So to just be joking would be traumatic.

But, the article even says "we don't know if it's one bad joke or not" and simply advise that people turn off their computers.  So if you don't and something happens, they warned you.  And it turns out that nothing happened at all, better safe than sorry, right? lol

01-04-2009, 01:14 AM
im scared though
i dont want my pc to crash!
no way jose! {no}
01-04-2009, 01:27 AM
Well, all I can say is, if it is just an April Fool's Joke, it's a pretty rotten one. If they're going to put this much effort into it, they mind as well make it something a little more funny and a little less inconvenient. I mean, okay, haha...they tricked us into turning off our computers. Big whoop. If they're going to play some sort of mega joke on us, they should really plan it out a little better and think of something that'll really make 'em say "got ya, everyone."

I did read about this on AOL, though. But...turn off your computers? Really? Think about it, what would happen if EVERYONE turned off their computers for the day? Including businesses? Yeah, don't think that'd work out very well...

[center][Image: icon110.png]
[Image: 7.png]
[Image: 8.png]
<br />[Image: donutmanatee2.gif]
<br />It's...the doughnut manatee. XD
01-04-2009, 01:34 AM
This would suck if tommorrow when I turn my laptop on during school my laptop crashes.