Click me to see why these adverts are here

Login:
or Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Trait-based character generation
25-03-2008, 12:45 AM
Trait-based character generation
Aside from way more flexibility in the options that determine how your Sim looks (The Sims 3 offers separate wide-ranging sliders for both musculature and body fat, so you can make tons of different body types), every adult Sim now has five distinct Traits that define their personality -- descriptors like Outdoorsperson, Jock, Paranoid, or Kleptomaniac chosen from a pool of approximately 80. These replace the messy/neat, active/lazy, and other personality sliders to dictate interpersonal relationships.

Plusses: We couldn't resist an opportunity to apply high school-level math. If there are 80 traits, then there are 24,040,016 possible permutations (though this doesn't take into account that some Traits, such as Good and Evil, are mutually exclusive) of Sim types, from perfectly productive to just plain insane. We wouldn't be surprised to see a whole expansion pack dedicated entirely to new Traits somewhere down the line. Loves Dogs? Only Turns Left? Dances at Inappropriate Times? Cries When Eating? The possibilities are almost endless.

Potential Pitfalls: What if five Traits aren't enough to make a Sim seem "human"? A personality quirk like Kleptomaniac sounds fun, but it could end up dominating a Sim's life.
Quote this message in a reply
25-03-2008, 01:33 AM
Re: Trait-based character generation
hmmm... well, there's over 700 million possible sims you can create, so there's my chance to put some high school thinking in.

Tick tock. Tick tock.<br />Only so long before my head explodes in anticipation of TS3. Big Grin
25-03-2008, 01:43 AM
I really can't wait to try out this trait system.

I'm sure I'm going to get some favorite combinations at some point, but for the most part I'll be experimenting.

ah, the fun that will be had.

~The Great And Powerful Moz<br /><br />tons of info about The Sims 3.<br />http://www.sims3.com/the_sims_3/check_this_out-t976.0.html
25-03-2008, 02:00 AM
(25-03-2008 12:45 AM)something link Wrote:Aside from way more flexibility in the options that determine how your Sim looks (The Sims 3 offers separate wide-ranging sliders for both musculature and body fat, so you can make tons of different body types), every adult Sim now has five distinct Traits that define their personality -- descriptors like Outdoorsperson, Jock, Paranoid, or Kleptomaniac chosen from a pool of approximately 80. These replace the messy/neat, active/lazy, and other personality sliders to dictate interpersonal relationships.

Plusses: We couldn't resist an opportunity to apply high school-level math. If there are 80 traits, then there are 24,040,016 possible permutations (though this doesn't take into account that some Traits, such as Good and Evil, are mutually exclusive) of Sim types, from perfectly productive to just plain insane. We wouldn't be surprised to see a whole expansion pack dedicated entirely to new Traits somewhere down the line. Loves Dogs? Only Turns Left? Dances at Inappropriate Times? Cries When Eating? The possibilities are almost endless.

Potential Pitfalls: What if five Traits aren't enough to make a Sim seem "human"? A personality quirk like Kleptomaniac sounds fun, but it could end up dominating a Sim's life.

so do the kids have the same persona as the parents?
25-03-2008, 02:06 AM
I suppose it will either be a mix or it'll be decided later in life depending on experiences.

~The Great And Powerful Moz<br /><br />tons of info about The Sims 3.<br />http://www.sims3.com/the_sims_3/check_this_out-t976.0.html
25-03-2008, 02:10 AM
I really hope traits are not genetic.  It would be awfully boring to have a family full of sims with the same traits.  It would be nicer if their differing personalities were to collide.
25-03-2008, 02:13 AM
maybe they'll be randomly generated or something o_0

25-03-2008, 03:40 AM
i've read this in an article on gamestop i think already. you should give credit to them... they have a whole article of pros and cons. but i am very excited about the new trait system

<br />I Love Tokyo Police Club (DAVE!), Cupcakes, Brownies, and Besties!<br />Joined March 17, 2008<br />[Image: 5I25.gif]
[Image: XRFP.gif]
25-03-2008, 03:46 AM
(25-03-2008 03:40 AM)hansthesockmonkey link Wrote:i've read this in an article on gamestop i think already. you should give credit to them... they have a whole article of pros and cons. but i am very excited about the new trait system
That's what I was going to point out also,I read this in an article.I thought in the article they had no idea what they were talking about.Theres no chance of one particular trait dominating a whole sims personality.Theres five traits so I'm pretty sure it's a mix of all the traits togehter that create a unique personality.