Click me to see why these adverts are here

Login:
or Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Offical Book Thread :D
24-04-2012, 02:34 AM
RE: Offical Book Thread :D
haha Josh Hutcherson is adorable and he did well with Peeta's part. Jennifer Lawrence did amazing, too. And Amandla. ):

You really should. They're a perfect mixture of like.. action/adventure/comedy/romance.

Carstairsrandomlegacy.wordpress.com - A Random Legacy
Quote this message in a reply
27-04-2012, 12:37 PM
I'm Reading LOTR. It'll probably take me forever.

[center][Image: jZwBSkZFApwr9ym65iLlFoaGo1_500.jpg]
[center]
30-04-2012, 10:41 PM
Have just finished Roberto Bolano's "The Third Reich". If I knew where he was buried, I'd dig him up and throw cowpats at him for revenge for those hours of my life I threw away on his stupid book! Diablo Diablo Diablo Diablo

Egyptiandance Wacko Fryingpan

[Image: 135762.jpg]
02-05-2012, 11:37 PM (This post was last modified: 02-05-2012 11:38 PM by Crimml.)
(30-04-2012 10:41 PM)WaffenThinMint Wrote:  Have just finished Roberto Bolano's "The Third Reich". If I knew where he was buried, I'd dig him up and throw cowpats at him for revenge for those hours of my life I threw away on his stupid book! Diablo Diablo Diablo Diablo

Guessing it really was one of those arty farty books, then? xD Maybe I'll look at it anyway, just to see how much I dislike it...

I found THG interesting, and am definitely a fan, but as has been said, it does slow down a bit... I have however been reading The Percy Jackson series, I personally so far give it a 5/10, though xD Not my type of book... It's interesting in regards to Greek mythology, though Big Grin

Call me Overlord Thai.
04-05-2012, 06:54 AM
Just finished You Against Me by Jenny Downham, who's a writer in the UK, and I had no idea that the grammar was different from American English! It was interesting.

Carstairsrandomlegacy.wordpress.com - A Random Legacy
07-05-2012, 09:42 PM
I've read The Mortal Instruments/Infernal Devices Smile

And the most recent book I read was The Fault in Our Stars. I could actually relate, like, wow.

[Image: BreeBree711.png]
Insufficiency Revealed
19-08-2012, 10:51 AM
[Image: 2gsfrz5.jpg]

It's probably one of the most disturbing pieces of news this week, that the Objectivists might be getting a toehold once more in the most powerful nation in the world. Objectivists are the followers of writer Ayn Rand, someone who as a "political writer & philosopher" was as grotesque as Hitler.

Amid much talk about "freedom" and stopping "state interference", Rand believed in survival of the fittest, or "rational self interest." Liberty to her was the freedom to exploit others as much as it was possible to get away with it. She hated religion, morality, & anything else that got in the way of people getting wealthy, no matter what the cost. At a time when the United States was finally beginning to realise they'd treated the American Indians brutally over the decades, she spoke out that the European settlers had every right to take all land away from these "savages".

You could call her little better than a fascist, expect like many of her kind she saw them as bleeding hearts for believing in such things as health care being something a civilised nation should provide to all its citizens for free. Rand on the other hand believed that "free" medical care was for "parasites". That didn't stop her taking social security and medicare when her years of chain smoking saw her develop cancer. She was a big flag waver of Israel, even though Israel's welfare state (especially its universal health care system), anti-monopoly laws and coalition party democracy epitomised everything she opposed as standing in the way of "profit".

Rand spoke in favour of what Thomas Hobbes had warned against three hundred years earlier, a world where everyone is in it for themselves, where there is no such thing as society, & everything is there in the world to be used & abused as you see fit & can get away with - the result being a life that is "soliitary, poor, nasty, brutish & short". Rand's philosophy is like most "crisis" philosophies an appeal to people's worst instincts. If her ideas are becoming popular again amongst the political classses in the most powerful nation on earth, start worrying.

[Image: 135762.jpg]
21-08-2012, 09:18 PM
I love books. Can't do Kindle - must have paper.

At the moment I am re-reading for the umpteenth time, some of the early Poirots. It puzzles me that despite being blessed with a pretty good memory and having read them before, sometimes I really can't recall who dunnit!

At the weekend I'm going away, so I plan to take a very lovely new gift - a hard-backed copy of 'Tender Is The Night' - with me. It'll do very nicely for a long train journey, followed by some lolling and lounging, which is all I plan to be doing between meals Smile
22-08-2012, 12:36 AM
omgosh. I can't do with e readers or stuff like that. paper ftw.

30-08-2012, 09:56 PM
Now re-reading The Great Gatsby for the dozenth time. I like something about the book, just don't know quite what.