or Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Is anyone watching the Olympics?
05-08-2012, 04:39 PM
RE: Is anyone watching the Olympics?
[Image: _62054672_andy_murray_victory_leap.jpg]

Good god in Govan, the Hibee won the gold! Shocked

First Brit to do it since 1908. Hood half thunk it?

Egyptiandance Wacko Fryingpan

[Image: 135762.jpg]
Quote this message in a reply
05-08-2012, 06:06 PM
Poor thing, he'll have to try to smile now, not muscles he usually uses Big Grin

Watching now to see how they do in the doubles.
06-08-2012, 05:23 PM (This post was last modified: 06-08-2012 05:24 PM by Minty.)
I thought the mixed doubles would be a game too far at such short notice, but they came close. Laura Robson wasn't quite the "teenage sensation" she was hailed as. Fish out of water if ever there was one.

I used to work for the same company her dad was a big shot of. The company newspaper were always going on about her every chance they had, along with footballer Matty Upson for the same reason. This was back in the days before every firm started having a company newspaper when print became cheap enough.

No one was allowed to remove copies from company premises to take home. What the punishment would have been for doing so I never found out - taken out into the yard and shot?!

06-08-2012, 06:32 PM
Watched quite a lot of the athletics over the weekend. I was so happy that Christine Ohuruogo won a medal; I like that she doesn't pay attention to the press (before she ran they had written her off completely and then when she takes silver they change to 'she should have won') and she just gets on with the race.

Some friends of mine went to visit the Olympic Park, they had a good day out with their kids but mentioned that all the spectators are trampling the flower beds, which seems a shame. I'll be interested to see how well they manage to use the facilities when the Olympics finishes. It'd be tragic if the Aquatic Centre doesn't stay in use, since there aren't many full size swimming pools left these days and councils have shut some of the local baths.
08-08-2012, 09:24 PM
I hope the facilities get properly used after the Olympics, although I will curse West Ham forever for getting the Olympic Stadium and probably ensuring the doom of poor little Leyton Orient as a result.

That's Britain reached its target, so every medal from now on is a bonus. Can barely believe how far we are ahead of the rest of the pack apart from China and the USA.

Where did we go right?! Dunno

We've also been very lucky with the weather for the Olympics. Who ever heard of a British sporting event with this prolonged period of sunshine?

08-08-2012, 10:56 PM
Just had to say congrats to Gabby Douglas :3
oh and Michael Phelps too ;D

09-08-2012, 08:34 AM
Loved the two brothers from Yorkshire winning medals in the triathlon!
12-08-2012, 07:59 PM
Did anyone else see Stephen Kiprotich's audacious win of the marathon? The boy played a blinder!

Sitting in third, started drifting behind until he was ten seconds behind the two Kenyans, slowly began to catch up, and once at the last blind bend of the track in the final lap beasted it round and left the two of them floundering.

Right up until that point I was convinced it was going to be a straight battle right to the tape between the other Kiprotich and Kirui (Kenya's Kiportich was a minute ahead of the rest of the field for a large chunk of the marathon). The Ugandan finished 26 seconds ahead of Kirui at the end of it - & funny enough trains in Kenya.

The American Mebrahtom Keflezighi was also a legend. The two better runners from the US team pulled out when it looked like they'd no chance of winning with supposed injuries like big girls (like Andy Murray's "sore leg" that always appears whenever he's about to lose at tennis!) when Kenya's Kiprotich was miles in front & both were stuck in a pile with Kirui, Kiprotich, the two Ethiopian guys, the Eritrean and the Brazilian. Kef stayed on despite being literally miles behind, and in the last seven minutes as everyone in front began to tire in the heat he sneaked past the lot of them to finish in fourth out of nowhere (the Japanese guy looked like he was going to kill him at the tape!).

Never thought I'd say this, but I am really going to miss the Olympics.

12-08-2012, 08:19 PM
What a lot of names beginning with K! Or have I just done too much of this Haveadrink!

I know what you mean, though. The Olympics has been great and I do feel quite proud. London should thank Mit Romney. As soon as he implied that we weren't ready, everyone decided to show him that we were.
:mw_tease:
I'm surprised I managed to type that correctly. Time for some more Haveadrink