Click me to see why these adverts are here

Login:
or Register

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 2.67 Average
The New Official Movie Thread
10-02-2014, 02:23 PM
RE: The New Official Movie Thread
The Gertrude Baniszewski/Nadine Van Fossan case was the blueprint for all those psycho family movies that were ever made. "An American Crime" was pretty sanitised (especially the way it treated Baniszewski, who was evil to the core & that she got only 14 years for torturing a child to death beyond belief) & the truth a lot worse.

The way the film implies religious nut = psychopath waiting to happen is a stupid cliche, as was the ending implying that she was in any way sorry for what she did to that poor child. All Baniszewski was ever sorry about was getting caught, & its a pity Sylvia Likens family never managed to track her & the other scum responsible down for a bit of "eye for an eye".

The novel/film "The Girl Next Door" is nearer to the truth in terms of motive (partly written in protest at Baniszewski's release, with the film version in turn rush made as a counter to An American Crime). If you found this one harrowing Ollie, never watch "The Girl Next Door", as even for a horror movie it is notable for its unpleasantness.

Egyptiandance Wacko Fryingpan

[Image: 135762.jpg]
Quote this message in a reply
11-02-2014, 07:51 PM
I decided to read about the true story on the internerd and upset myself to the point of having a nightmare about it. Probably best if I don't watch the film either. Sad
23-04-2014, 01:41 PM
I think I just found one of my new favourite movies, Goodfellas. Funny how only a couple of weeks ago I had to study a scene for it in media and now I've watched it thanks to it being on TV.

[Image: od8QQA8.png]

23-04-2014, 11:55 PM
(23-04-2014 01:41 PM)Ollie Wrote:  I think I just found one of my new favourite movies, Goodfellas. Funny how only a couple of weeks ago I had to study a scene for it in media and now I've watched it thanks to it being on TV.

Was it an offer you couldn't refuse? Tongue

I loved "Once Upon A Time In America", although the ending was flat. I tried to watch the Godfather movies whenever they were on but they bored me silly. My two favourite movies with gangsters in them were "Bugsy Malone" and "Some Like It Hot!"

25-07-2014, 11:39 PM
I have now saw two of those Percy Jackson movies on the TV, & the only part of them that is remotely worth watching is Alexandra Daddario's eyes. BeatingHeart

26-07-2014, 12:59 PM
Well she must have very nice eyes if the films were so poo but you went beyond watching just the one Tongue
26-07-2014, 11:58 PM
What can I say, the telly was that poo! Tongue Thought I may as well see what all the fuss was about.

I couldn't believe how bad they were, especially considering Christopher Columbus (director of the first two Harry Potter movies) was behind them. There was nothing approaching a plausible plot. Both from start to finish seemed only vehicles for one set of special effects after another.

I'm currently watching "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford". It's done in that bleak realistic style they redid "True Grit" in. It's all a bit flat. I like the way they've got James down as the vicious thug he was rather than the American Robin Hood lie often peddled, but the whole thing is so depressing.

Meh, I'm getting old. I expect movies to have a plot.

27-07-2014, 01:48 PM
I find it interesting that you thought Christopher Colombus (what were his parents thinking) being the director would be a plus. I thought the first few HP movies were the weakest and that they got better under different directorship. Also, the child actors grew up a bit so I suppose that helped as well. Ron was always OK but Harry and Hermione seemed to "act" using only their eyebrows for the at least the first two.

I realise now that I haven't watched a film for ages. I have taped a few things recently - I've got the Ladykillers (the old B&W version) on the recorder gadgety thing. I love that film. And I'm going to tape Sleepy Hollow when it's on next week. Save them all up for a rainy day.

Haven't actually been out to the cinema for a long time. I don't even know what's on. I shall add it to my to-do list. It would be a good place to hide out of the sun and there's nice ice-creams there.

And you're not getting old, btw, you are just maintaining high standards of expectation. Or at least that's what I keep telling myself.
31-07-2014, 04:02 AM
Stumbled upon this again. Has anyone seen the new Deadpool linked test? It's so great! I really hope they make it into a movie, and Ryan Reynolds did a great job.

I'll be watching Guardians of the Galaxy next week. So we shall see about that.

01-08-2014, 11:46 PM
I was surprised that Russell Crowe wasn't asked to do GOTG - it's the kind of OTT movie I'd associate with him!