Click me to see why these adverts are here

Login:
or Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
The sims complete collection wont install on windows 7 - help?
08-12-2012, 10:06 PM
The sims complete collection wont install on windows 7 - help?
Hey i bought a copy of the sims complete collection and as i start to install it, it tells me there is no room on my computer when there is, now i called the EA team and they said its because its an old game and its not windows 7 compatible, he also recommended that i find this forum and see if its possible to make it work.

I have tried copying the first disk to a separate folder in the C drive and tried to run it from there but still hit the same problem, i have also tried the compatibility mode with windows 95 and 98 to no avail.
does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks
Quote this message in a reply
09-12-2012, 01:50 AM
RE: The sims complete collection wont install on windows 7 - help?
I'm afraid we can't help you unless you begin to use this forum regularly. Wink

[Image: od8QQA8.png]

09-12-2012, 03:26 AM
(09-12-2012 01:50 AM)Ollie Wrote:  I'm afraid we can't help you unless you begin to use this forum regularly. Wink
I doubt very much you will get a lot of people on this forum if you act like that.
Where is the kindness and common decency? I sure don't see it.

Maybe you have to rethink that "rule" because if you keep doing that you're really going to tick people off and they wont come back - I can't deny I'm thinking about it..
09-12-2012, 04:03 AM (This post was last modified: 09-12-2012 06:15 AM by Ollie.)
Sorry but http://www.simsforums.com/showthread.php?tid=11451 (i think we need to put another thread saying that in this section). The reason for this rule is that we are somewhat sick of people comming in thinking we are an encyclopaedia of sim knowledge and then not comming back until their game encounters another problem. I think it would be best for Minty take it from here. Take it away mr. Green.

[Image: od8QQA8.png]

09-12-2012, 12:36 PM (This post was last modified: 09-12-2012 12:42 PM by Minty.)
(09-12-2012 03:26 AM)totalhuni Wrote:  
(09-12-2012 01:50 AM)Ollie Wrote:  I'm afraid we can't help you unless you begin to use this forum regularly. Wink
I doubt very much you will get a lot of people on this forum if you act like that.
Where is the kindness and common decency? I sure don't see it.

Maybe you have to rethink that "rule" because if you keep doing that you're really going to tick people off and they wont come back - I can't deny I'm thinking about it..

Ollie is spot on.

After years of putting up with the "take, take, take" fraternity, you do get a wee bit sick of it when it never, ever translates into a single new active member.

That "kindness and common decency" is what's resulted us in having every radge on the block coming here only to get answers to questions before going off to other forums - usually because the Sims related forums they are regular members of are so damned rude to anyone being a "noob".

Hence the rule. Our attitude comes from others lack of gratitude.

Rules

Sims Forums is a social forum for Sims players - we do what we can, but we are not a cheap substitute for going to EA's own forums to get technical help. I'm sure that if your own =FSB= clan found their forum being used as some fly-by-night tech help desk with Unreal, Battlehacked 3 or whatever, you would all quickly get humptier than Scott Brown after... um, after anything at all in the case of that knuckledragger!

But anyway, to your question: since this one will be of benefit to the regular member gets here also for every other game & program on the block, I'll answer it -

(08-12-2012 10:06 PM)totalhuni Wrote:  Hey i bought a copy of the sims complete collection and as i start to install it, it tells me there is no room on my computer when there is, now i called the EA team and they said its because its an old game and its not windows 7 compatible, he also recommended that i find this forum and see if its possible to make it work.

I have tried copying the first disk to a separate folder in the C drive and tried to run it from there but still hit the same problem, i have also tried the compatibility mode with windows 95 and 98 to no avail.
does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks
I take it this is the copy of Sims Deluxe you bought back in 2009 you are now finding won't work with a newer version of Windows?

This is very basic stuff that any EA customer service rep ought to have been able to answer had they a clue about computers.

The only way you are going to be able to install it is by running it in a compatibility mode for a version of Windows that can run The Sims in the first place - many older games (especially from the pre-64-bit architecture era that came before Windows XP) cannot run on modern systems.

Right-click on the icon for your game, which brings up a menu. Pick "Properties" at the very bottom of the list. This will bring up a window with six folders.

The one you want is called "Compatibility". In this folder, click on "Run this program in compatibility mode for" and use the drop down menu next to it to choose a version of Windows you know to have run the game glitch free in the past.

You will also need to run the install as an Administrator, otherwise the damn thing may not work.

Egyptiandance Wacko Fryingpan

Aarrgh! The bloody code for this server making me have to keep going back to correct the format!

[Image: 135762.jpg]
09-12-2012, 02:27 PM
Thank you for taking the time and trying to give me advice. I have tried the compatibility mode. Just in case, I retried ALL compatibility modes with run as administrator and it still isn't working. Any other tips?

Out of courtesy and gratefulness that you answered my question, I will use this forum more, and look for people that might need help.
Thank you again.
09-12-2012, 10:05 PM
Hmmm, you could try downloading the Windows XP Mode or the Windows Virtual PC to run it from.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual...nload.aspx

This is a solution that appears in a number of places relating to attempting to run The Sims series on a Windows 7 system, although I will readily admit to being no expect on this. I get confused enough trying to use Spectrum and BBC emulators.

I'm a bit surprised because The Sims Resource & Simblesse Oblige are confirming the method I mentioned works for both Windows 7 & 8. I think you are looking at trying the emulator to run it from as your last roll of the die.

Egyptiandance Wacko Fryingpan

[Image: 135762.jpg]
10-12-2012, 10:02 AM
I clicked on the link that you said and entered windows 7 premium and this is what it said;
"You are not eligible to download Windows XP Mode. You must have Windows 7
Professional, Enterprise, or Ultimate to run Windows XP Mode. To
upgrade visit Windows 7 Anytime Upgrade.
"

The upgrade isn't free and takes me straight to try and buy windows 8...
Don't worry though I'm just going to sell The Sims.
Thank you though.

Totalhuni
xx
27-08-2013, 03:48 AM (This post was last modified: 27-08-2013 03:49 AM by Dwinger.)
(09-12-2012 04:03 AM)Ollie Wrote:  The reason for this rule is that we are somewhat sick of people comming in thinking we are an encyclopaedia of sim knowledge and then not comming back until their game encounters another problem.
What's wrong with that? It's better to be an encyclopedia of sim knowledge rather than have no traffic. As the great David Wong said, the world only wants what it can get from you. If it can't get what it wants from you, it won't bother in the future. I've never encountered a forum with the same approach as this one

[Image: 9506114279_7f0d652bd0_o.jpg]

A sprawling, suburban, Simlish soap opera!
http://www.historyofpleasantview.blogspot.com