Click me to see why these adverts are here

Login:
or Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Opinions/Review
16-11-2014, 07:13 AM (This post was last modified: 12-12-2014 11:50 PM by Ollie.)
Opinions/Review
Okay, so being such a large game with strong opinions and a lot to discuss, I don't quite have enough time to create a full review of The Sims 4, so I decided to make a WIP thread with just dot points of what I think of the game so far that I will continually update (and maybe one day turn into a full review of the game).
Feel free to leave your thoughts and opinions below.

Create-A-Sim
- Freedom to push and pull, molding Sims like clay is great, fun and smooth.
- You can create a great diversity of Sims, with different ethnicity's (like I'm trying to show in Criminal Class) with a variety of hairstyles to suit.
- A nice diversity of clothing too from dreaded new-age hipster clothing (cringes), to grandma fashion, high-end dresses to mom jeans, etc.
- Cute kid fashion too-but with a lot of awful hipster-like fashion. :/
- Depending on type of pant and shoe, boots will fit under or over the pants-no clipping.
- Hats can go with any hairstyle.
- Massive pet peeve: Glasses don't sit properly on Sims' faces unless you can manage to position their nose (which can change their face shape).
- Generally plenty of colour swatches to choose from on MOST clothes, making up for no Create-A-Style from The Sims 3.
- Arguably the best and most developed part of the game.
[Image: CAS1_zps9e2938e7.png]
[Image: CAS2_zps8b4c290c.png]
[Image: Twitterrev_zps64001c68.png]
[Image: CAS3_zpsaa66b569.png]

Large, curvaceous, skinny, scary, mold your Sims as you please

Worlds
- Combine TS3 open world and TS2/1 which works really well, giving that sense that your home is your home (hard to explain) that I felt was missing in The Sims 3.
- Each world has about 5 or 6 neighbourhoods, each containing 1-5 lots and public spaces.
- Each lot has a load screen, but not for public spaces.
- There is plenty of space for other lots in worlds-hell there are other lots-lots of them in fact-with houses, but for whatever stupidly poor excuse, you can't live on them, it's the most idiotic design choice IMO and is what I hate the most about The Sims 4, the worlds are really god damn small in terms of lots.
- Ugly circular backdrop in each individual neighbourhood, with roads that just cut-off and aren't on going. I mean I know you aren't really supposed to go out that far and it's supposed to just be a nice backdrop, but you can go there using tab, so why didn't they at least make it to the fullest.
- On the plus side, the area you can play in is generally greatly detailed.
- Another problem with this world system is that I have a concern that there will be no Create A World of any type, which is a shame.
- I also wonder how they'd create a feeling of a dense city with this system for worlds in a Nightlife/Late Night EP. Same goes for what an Island Paradise EP would be like.
-I think the world system will work great for a University world, though.

[Image: road_zps0c5b7095.png]

"We just couldn't be bothered connecting these roads"

[Image: od8QQA8.png]

Quote this message in a reply
16-11-2014, 03:22 PM
RE: Opinions/Review
Not a fan of hipster styling, eh Ollie? Biggrin

It's weird that they have made the worlds so small (same error as with Simcity?) seeing as they've gone to all the effort of using zoning and loading screens to prevent lag. I guess since you can travel between worlds they saw no reason to make any individual world particularly large? Seems odd.
21-11-2014, 08:13 AM
Ugh, I just really hate that Hipster look, and douche bags who think they're cool going for that look with the rolled up pants, showing off their ankles or socks (Even worse, what's the point in rolling up shorts? I don't understand how that can be anymore attractive to anyone, so I really don't understand this craze in my school).
My only problem whilst playing The Crew Beta was that the protagonist was some middle aged, hipster, street racer, complete with a hipster beard and wide glasses. Like no, just can you not, Ubisoft?

12-12-2014, 11:48 PM (This post was last modified: 12-12-2014 11:59 PM by Ollie.)
YES!
It's finally confirmed that we're finally getting move objects on in the next update, although I find it kinda stupid as it should've been in the game when it came out-along with pools, toddlers and many other things. I just don't understand why they didn't perform a larger delay? The obviously didn't complete the game to a satisfactory standard, so it seems extremely bad on EA's part. I found a picture on twitter which pretty much gets the modern day game dev "cycle" spot on Sell Preorders --> Sell Game Unfinished --> Patch to near completion --> Sell rest of game as DLC.

13-12-2014, 03:43 PM
It's true - there have been some unfinished, sloppy-looking releases. Did you see that recent Assassin's Creed with the terrifying-looking graphical glitches? It looked like the character's eyeballs were popping out and reminded me of all those Sims 3 toddlers when they become children and get stretched out of shape - or some hideous CC that turns sims inside out.

I'm glad you're getting MOO as I know a lot of people rely on it, although (try not to faint from shock) I personally have never used it!
15-12-2014, 11:08 PM
I like having moveobjects sometimes in dire emergencies so I'm glad it's coming back, but I was so shocked when it wasn't out on release! I'm glad that this content they are providing is free since it should have been included when they released it.

Overall I think this game isn't that bad. Some of the things I don't like (turning objects took me forever to figure out! Double clicking the right mouse? -_-) but once I Google how to do something then I don't really mind.

March 17, 2008 - September 7, 2008
September 1, 2009 - present
28-12-2014, 07:51 PM
I agree with you, Ollie, on that the worlds are way too small. The two worlds you get to play in have the same setup and, personally, I feel that there is very little uniqueness about them.
I HATE the loading screens. It's so off putting to me. I rarely have my sim travel (especially one in a family) because I hate when my other sims lose the task that they are doing. It is also such a pain to jump back and forth between them with the obnoxious loading screens. -.-
I feel that EA backtracked in this sims game. Don't get me wrong, the game is beautiful and looks really good, but I feel like it is the sims 2 again, and you are stuck in a house all day. The game isn't very family oriented either. Do you know when you have a sim marry another sim that is not in your household, the sim won't automatically move in? Or that their last name won't change, and so far there is no way to change it without cheating? There's even no family tree! And if the parent sim has a child get married, their spouse won't be recognized as a daughter or son in law?
Little things like this bug me...
And the worst part is...they got rid of the toddler age group! Sad
28-12-2014, 11:06 PM
The small world size does seem a problem. It's a mistake they made with Simcity and then repeated with TS4. It's all good and well to focus on the sims themselves but once created those sims need places to go and things to do. Looks like those who buy the new expansion will get another area to add to the map, but that looks really small too and will increase the number of loading screens further. The lack of family tree etc is just laziness I think. It would seem pretty obvious and basic to code in some kind of family tree for a game in which the characters interact and have many generations. "Write it down yourself" really does not address this lack!
29-12-2014, 02:19 AM
Agreed. I feel like the Sims 4 is so singular now. They claim they built it so simmers could express any story they wanted...but things like family and romance in the game have really been neglected. Plus, I feel that there are only like really 4/5 emotions expressed in the game. Haha.
I had the father sim in my game die recently...and the only one who became sad was the wife. The children's moods weren't even affected! How about that?
29-12-2014, 05:53 AM
That is a great shame. They sold the idea that the emotions would be all powerful, but then you end up with sims who cry their eyes out because someone neglected to clean a kitchen counter but fail to react to the death of a relative.

It's good that you can get some enjoyment out of it, despite its flaws, even if only by laughing at the absurdity of the game!