Login:
or Register

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 4.5 Average
The Official Nonsense Thread
17-04-2013, 12:30 PM
RE: The Official Nonsense Thread
That sounds pretty cool.

I had a cricket in my room last night. How lovely.

[center][Image: jZwBSkZFApwr9ym65iLlFoaGo1_500.jpg]
[center]
Quote this message in a reply
18-04-2013, 01:56 PM
I'll trade my mosquito for your cricket if you like? Smile

I am taking a day off tomorrow and going on a day trip to Bletchley Park, where they cracked codes during the second world war. I think it will be interesting. I also hope that the cafe has those blue wartime teacups.
19-04-2013, 07:30 PM
That mosquito took its love of drinking blood too far. You are not a vampire, little whining creature! It bit me on the neck, for goodness sake! PissedOff

So, I am back from Bletchley Park and my head is chock full of facts and information. Sadly it will now start to be pushed out by other trivia, or else my brain will file it so far back in the cabinet that it will become difficult to access. Hey ho.

I was very happy to learn about the Enigma machines and I got to see a full-scale replica of the Colossus computer in action. It was amazing! But the things that really blew my mind were the codes that were broken just by some clever sod sitting down with some squared paper and a pencil, sometimes for months on end, and working out how a code with billions of permutations might have been formed, just with the power of the brain. Just amazing.

Smile
19-04-2013, 08:17 PM
Bletchley Park is somewhere I'd love to go. The whole cracking of the Enigma codes by a collection of such oddball characters is one of the great stories of WW2. Feel free to spam away with all the stuff you found out when you were there!

Rangers boss Charles Green chucked it the day after FIFA's vice president personally came out to say there was not a hope in hell of being allowed to join the English league. There's also been someone trying to sell 50000 shares today at a rock bottom price. Where is Chazza right now? Holed up in Monaco with Craig Whyte - which has no extradiction treaty with the UK. A coincidence of course. Oh it's so lovely seeing the orcs horrible world crashing around them again! Sohappy

Am I the only one completely lost with this whole Boston bombing now? What have the Chechens got to do with any of this? Why did they try to attack the Boston marathon & now the MIT?
Did Noam Chomsky say something nasty about them or is there something else I've missed? Dizzy-1

Washed all the windows today inside & out, & just to let you know how hot it was, I had trouble using anti mould spray. You are supposed to spray it on & leave it for 15 minutes before washing off, but when I went back, it had all evaporated! Had to soak kitchen towels with it & put it on the affected areas to give it a chance to work.

I'm glad you Caspin & Bobert are getting some insects. It's creepy going out into the garden & there isn't any creepy crawlies about at all. I'm wondering what all the birds are eating instead to stay alive?

Egyptiandance Wacko Fryingpan

[Image: 135762.jpg]
19-04-2013, 09:54 PM (This post was last modified: 20-04-2013 08:40 AM by Caspin.)
Oh dear, don't tell me to just start talking about something - think of the bandwidth it would occupy!

[Edit: I started a new thread about Bletchley over here , to spare the folk who don't want to face a wall of text on the matter. Tongue Told you not to get me started talking]

Re: insects - if it makes you feel any better, I saw a HUGE fluffy bumble bee this morning. I think I might put in some lavender bushes to attract more nice bees into the garden.

Re: windows - I like to use vinegar, leaves no streaks and is a nice cheap cleanser and de-mouldifier.

Re: Boston - I am also lost, but then I haven't seen any news today.
20-04-2013, 01:47 AM (This post was last modified: 20-04-2013 01:50 AM by Ollie.)
Oh dear, It's all happening in America.
First, the Bloody Boston Bombings.
Second, A fertilizer plant explodes
Now we're going back to the Boston Bombings in which one believed bomber is dead and the other one is apparently hiding in a boat, possibly dying or dead or in custody, who on earth knows.

Edit: It turns out the suspect is alive and in custody! Whoohooo, I can say I listened to a live applause from the scene.

[Image: od8QQA8.png]

20-04-2013, 08:35 AM (This post was last modified: 20-04-2013 08:40 AM by Caspin.)
Yes, it's all too much excitement in the US really isn't it. That was quite a man-hunt (or just-a-boy-hunt, sadly) for the chap who ended up hiding in a boat. His life must have taken some strange turns in the last few days.

How are you Ollie?
21-04-2013, 10:16 AM
Not too happy with the Americans refusing the bomber his Miranda rights. In a situation like this, you don't surrender the moral high ground & give anyone an inch, you do it by the book. They've got their man, time is on their side. They've dealt with nutters & losers pretty well under No Drama Obama after the previous decade of lunacy, it would be tragic if they blew it over this.

Egyptiandance Wacko Fryingpan

[Image: 135762.jpg]
21-04-2013, 11:21 AM
(20-04-2013 08:35 AM)Caspin Wrote:  Yes, it's all too much excitement in the US really isn't it. That was quite a man-hunt (or just-a-boy-hunt, sadly) for the chap who ended up hiding in a boat. His life must have taken some strange turns in the last few days.

How are you Ollie?
I'm good, how are you?

[Image: od8QQA8.png]

21-04-2013, 11:37 AM
(21-04-2013 10:16 AM)Minty Wrote:  They've dealt with nutters & losers pretty well under No Drama Obama after the previous decade of lunacy, it would be tragic if they blew it over this.

True. If people would just pause and consider before acting rashly, things would be a lot better everywhere. I read an interview with Mr Obama before he became President, in which he said that he thought it was important to set aside a little time each day to just give careful thought to the issues of the day. I wonder if he's actually found time to do that once he made it to the White House.

(21-04-2013 11:21 AM)Ollie Wrote:  I'm good, how are you?

I'm fine, Ollie, and so is the weather, at last! I prefer it rainy myself but at least when the sun is out everybody else seems happy and stops moaning. Smile