Click me to see why these adverts are here

Login:
or Register

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 4.5 Average
The Official Nonsense Thread
27-10-2013, 07:51 PM
RE: The Official Nonsense Thread
Minty's household tips. And you wonder why your sim is always made to be my housekeeper! Big Grin

I have battened down the hatches ready for this big storm that is supposed to arrive over night. Let's see if the country can cope with hurricane-strength winds. Hurricane-strength! Oh deary me.

In other news I see that Lou Reed had died. Sad

RIP
Quote this message in a reply
28-10-2013, 05:28 PM
The big storm has passed by now. Four deaths confirmed in the UK and a lot of damaged trees. Our fence was destroyed, but by some good fortune the bits of wood all got entangled in hedges and trees, so at least they didn't fly about in the garden and smash up any windows.

A huge tree (about three storeys high) was uprooted and fell across the road that I live on. It brought down a couple of lampposts and squashed a car (but the driver was OK). It was quite a shock to see it there, such a big tree. The roots were terribly shallow. That's what done for it. Anyway, I climbed through the branches (now at ground level!) and was able to proceed to the bus stop. I expect it'll be cleared away by the time I get home, as a team of men had already turned up on the scene with chainsaws. I don't really relish climbing over it again on the way home when it's dark, but I have brought a torch just in case.

I wish I had the time and the patience to make a death star pumpkin.

[Image: deathstar1.jpg]
28-10-2013, 06:52 PM
(28-10-2013 05:28 PM)Caspin Wrote:  The big storm has passed by now. Four deaths confirmed in the UK and a lot of damaged trees. Our fence was destroyed, but by some good fortune the bits of wood all got entangled in hedges and trees, so at least they didn't fly about in the garden and smash up any windows.

A huge tree (about three storeys high) was uprooted and fell across the road that I live on. It brought down a couple of lampposts and squashed a car (but the driver was OK). It was quite a shock to see it there, such a big tree. The roots were terribly shallow. That's what done for it. Anyway, I climbed through the branches (now at ground level!) and was able to proceed to the bus stop. I expect it'll be cleared away by the time I get home, as a team of men had already turned up on the scene with chainsaws. I don't really relish climbing over it again on the way home when it's dark, but I have brought a torch just in case.

I wish I had the time and the patience to make a death star pumpkin.

[Image: deathstar1.jpg]
That must of been some heck of a storm. I have not watched T.V much this week. Glad you are O.K and I hope the path is clear for you when you get home. No tree climbing in the dark.

I love that pumpkin, that is really cool! We decorated ours as a mummy this year with eye balls and spiders all over it. lol.. Tease
29-10-2013, 12:22 PM (This post was last modified: 29-10-2013 12:22 PM by Ollie.)
Well at least you're okay, Caspin. Seems like you weren't quite suspecting it to come late, considering your joking tweet that I had a laugh at.

[Image: od8QQA8.png]

29-10-2013, 04:05 PM
Hey Caspin and Ollie!
College life is meh. I am ready to move onto my next set of classes for next semester. I'll be declaring my major (Sociology) next semester.

And Yes I did Minty! I actually came here because of that Tongue

29-10-2013, 08:05 PM
Hello! Sociology eh. A subject I have not studied. I'm sorry that college is only "meh". Really it should be more "waaaaaaargh", maybe with a bit of "wooooooooohhh". Perhaps it will get better.

I'm very impressed at the idea of Tasia's mummy pumpkin! I usually have some grand scheme but then I remember how rubbish I am at carving and default to a scary face, which isn't usually all that scary and sometimes isn't even a face. One year I tried to just do a geometric pattern but it went wrong and I had to battle mentally with its asymmetry. This year I am not making a pumpkin lantern as I'm going out on Halloween night but perhaps I will eat pumpkin at least.

That tree was all chopped up when I went past last night. If anyone has a wood-burning stove they should get down there!
29-10-2013, 09:03 PM
That pumpkin is brilliant BeatingHeart

I first discovered Lou Reed had died from TMN (second time this has happened, I also learned Elizabeth Sladen had died that way) - shows how much I had paid attention to the news on Sunday. I had no idea he was that old.

Seems he was doing Tai Chi a hour before his death & was fine. Shocked

Going for sociology, [removed]? Is it a case of going for the subject you enjoy or going for the one with a set career in mind?

Good to see you survived the storm Caspin. I think they were lucky that much of it happened very early in the morning when the streets were clear of people. Someone on the news said the damage wasn't as bad this time round because so many trees were felled back in the great storm of 1987 & were never replaced tree for tree.

The weirdest story of the lot from that time was the storm resulted in the reintroduction of wild boars after being extinct for 400 years - a number of private collections & animal sanctuaries were smashed to pieces in places near to the New Forest & Forest of Dean & the terrified boars ran for the one piece of standing cover they could see - the dense trees. By the time anyone got around to trying to recover them, it was decided they'd become too wild to attempt to recapture without danger to the boars or themselves.

The weather up here has been surprisingly beautiful the last two days, but VERY cold. We're also getting weird half a minute rainstorms out of clear skies at random. Oh, & those damn wasps STILL aren't dead. What are they, zombie undead wasps coming from the grave?

Last night I had to throw out a crane fly from my bedroom - I caught it with a beer glass & mat, but as I went to release it outside, my hand sort of slipped while holding it (I think there may have been some washing up liquid residue still on it) & the glass went flying out of the window. There was no smash - it sounded like it had luckily landed in the guttering of the ground floor extension.

With it being pitch black, I left it until this morning to get out the stepladders to retrieve it - unfortunately one of the neighbours spotted me doing so & joked it must have been some party in my house last night.

Egyptiandance Wacko Fryingpan

[Image: 135762.jpg]
30-10-2013, 12:09 PM
I love the Forest of Dean. I have never seen a wild boar there though (they make nice sausages).

I'm convinced that the trees falling in towns and cities were a result of (a) inappropriately tall species being chosen for urban areas and (b) the fact that the roots of the trees are very shallow so the tree has no stability. They pour concrete or put down paving stones right up to the base of the tree, so it doesn't get enough rainwater filtering through the ground and ends up sending out tap roots just under the surface looking for water sources.

I think that for Christmas someone should buy Minty a nice plastic beaker for catching insects. It might be safer. Otherwise he will develop a reputation for riotous parties during which guests hurl glassware from the upstairs windows. Unless of course that this the reputation that that he seeks to cultivate, in which case - carry on. Smile
30-10-2013, 10:21 PM
Hibs Biggrin Biggrin Biggrin Biggrin

We could field a team of one legged players against them & they'd still manage to screw it up!

Not a single win since August, bottom of the league 15 points adrift, all they had to do was turn up at their own ground - & they still lost to us! But when they have a striker with the beard of a Confederacy General, what do you expect.

It's FREEZING tonight! Sick

Egyptiandance Wacko Fryingpan

[Image: 135762.jpg]
31-10-2013, 10:09 AM
Time for winter-weight duvet by the sounds of things. I'm still using the summer one as it's unseasonably warm here despite the storm. At least it's dark most of the time now though.

Happy Halloween!

Hope you all get treats and no tricks.

Biggrin