Login:
or Register

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 4.5 Average
The Official Nonsense Thread
25-01-2014, 11:04 PM
RE: The Official Nonsense Thread
Oh Hearts! Silly buggers.

That sounds an interesting pie. I like chicken that is stuffed with haggis so I guess it is similar but in pie format. The sauce sounds a bit weird but probably works. Is that the same place that does the top sausage rolls? They'll be getting people through the gates for their gastronomic delights rather than the football at this rate! Smile

No, never had haggis curry and hope I never will!

Last year I made cranachan. That was good. Should have done that again but was too disorganised with shopping this week.

The storm was brief and feeble. Just a few flashes of lightening and some rain. Better for it to land over here than Somerset, which is absolutely saturated now and about to call in the army for assistance.

Played a bit of TS3 today during which I plunged Monte Vista into a perpetual winter so I could build loads of snowmen. Big Grin Then grew weary and spent the rest of the afternoon lying on the sofa reading murder mysteries. Good times!
Quote this message in a reply
28-01-2014, 12:30 AM
I am ashamed to admit I had to look up cranachan! The heather honey in it however I am more than familiar with - & heather ice cream (it sounds better than it sounds!)

The latest on the flooding is some bright spark saying "maybe if we started dredging the rivers again, the bad floods wouldn't happen". No kidding!

Lots of WW1 programmes on the TV right now. It's weird seeing the old black & white ones coloured in & touched up, seeing the Red Baron no longer in grimy faded greys.

Egyptiandance Wacko Fryingpan

[Image: 135762.jpg]
28-01-2014, 03:41 PM
Mmmm I love heather honey. It's the best ever topping for porridge, along with a chopped up banana of perfect ripeness and a big stack of raspberries. I've had heather ice-cream (not on porridge) but only once that I can recall.

Dredging the rivers would have been a splendid idea, particularly given that the flooded areas were flooded last year, so they knew it could happen, and the heavy rain was forecast, so the likelihood of repeat flooding was known. Absolutely rubbish. If I ever manage to buy a house, I want one on a hill, surrounded by plentiful vegetation to soak up all the rainwater.

Ah yes, all the programmes for the WW1 centenary. There should hopefully be some interesting things to watch, although no doubt many will be depressing too. Well, have fun!

Smile
30-01-2014, 12:02 PM
There was a good laugh on TV where some government spokesman was blabbing about how dredging doesn't help because it means the river can hold more water but it won't push it out any faster.

The farmer from Somerset being interviewed pointed out that rivers don't hold water, they move it, & if you make them deeper, more volume of water is being pushed out to the sea per second in the same way a bath fills faster with two taps running instead of one - it's because they're silting up that they can no longer cope with the amount of rain we get. Not astrophysics is it?

It's the stupidity of those in charge that is most frightening, the lack of basic common sense. They have now said that they haven't the money to do the dredging because it will cost about £5 million, the same day they announced they're spending more than that to repair a single bird sanctuary hit by the flooding. I get the impression they want locals to pay for their own dredging so they can use their tax money for more tax cuts for "wealth creators" (their old school tie mates).

Rant over! On a happier note, Hearts won again - first home win since August & against the hated St Midden too.

30-01-2014, 05:25 PM
Well done to Hearts (why are St Midden hated?) for their winning streak. About time eh!

I'm not sure why it is difficult to comprehend that dredging the rivers would have been a good idea. Even it had not been enough to stop all of the flooding in the affected areas, it would surely have reduced it. Avoiding building houses on the floodplain would be an idea too. Floodplain - the clue is in the name.

Tonight I'm off to the theatre to see "The Duck House".

[Image: eventImage_160.jpg]

A bit of satire for a Thursday night. I hope it is funny. I could do with a giggle. I expect it will be, but also possibly scary because of the truth behind it!
30-01-2014, 11:56 PM (This post was last modified: 30-01-2014 11:57 PM by Minty.)
I remember that MP that got done over putting his duck house on his expenses.

St Midden's fans are mutants. Most of them are Rangers fans for whom it is their "wee team" (St Mirren used Rangers ground during WW2). Also they used their masonic connections with the town council to put Abercorn - also from Paisley & one of the founding fathers of Scottish football - out of business by denying them a place to play in Paisley back in the 1920s. The club continued to exist as a social club trying to get back into the game but gave up during WW2.

Their old ground was also one of Scottish football's biggest eyesores because they never looked after it. Alex Ferguson was their manager once. He took a bunch of nobodies to third in the league & their first European campaign - for which they fired him after he asked what money he was now going to get for players. He went to Aberdeen & you know what happened next - overthew the Old Firm's stranglehold, won the Cup Winners Cup & Super Cup, before moving on to do even better with Man U.

I've been watching the two lengthy interviews Ian Paisley's given that's been causing some fury. Wow, did he spill the beans! To cut a long story short, he claims to have acted the bigot in order to get a bunch of bigots to put him into power so he could get them to stop acting like bigots. What really struck me was his complete contempt for politics & politicians of Northern Ireland, but he also said that Northern Ireland very much got the politicians it deserved.

Funny enough, there was another programme on an hour later about the s3x Pistols first album, & it mentioned how Steve Jones always underplayed his role in the production even though in truth he played a big part in it, in particular speeding up the recorded tracks of Johnny Rotten's vocals to make him sound more shrill. The producer Bill Thomas asked him why he wanted to do that, & Steve took him to the pub across the road to watch the lunchtime news on the TV.

Ian Paisley was on, ranting to some NI crowd about something or other, & Jones pointed out that there wasn't a single person in that pub whose hackles weren't raised every time Paisley came on ranting & raving in that tone, that's what he wanted to copy because it would get them noticed - & everyone they provoked hated from in turn would find everyone that hated them buying their records out of devilment.

Thomas said while he understood where Jones was coming from, had Jones at all considered that the major flaw of his master plan was they might provoke such a reaction that they might not live long enough to spend the royalty money? Both of them were almost right Biggrin

01-02-2014, 09:52 AM
I see, Mintipedia! Tongue I hadn't heard of St Midden, only St Mirren.

It's a shame I couldn't have dragged you along to see The Duck House, seeing as you seem quite interested in politics. It was really funny in the end, even the cast couldn't help laughing on occasion. Ben Miller was great. I last saw him in The Ladykillers I think. Nice to see something funny for a change - I should possibly go to see more comedy.

Bright sunny morning here, after yesterday's near-constant downpour. The weatherman was showing loads of swirly snowstorms on the west coast, but here it's all shiny. Cup of tea time I think.
01-02-2014, 01:15 PM
Looking up about parasitic worms. *vomits* never again.

[Image: od8QQA8.png]

01-02-2014, 02:22 PM
I hope you aren't reading about those while trying to eat lunch. Or possibly dinner since you are in the future.

Hope going back to school wasn't too painful.
01-02-2014, 02:32 PM
Oh no, It's past 12 AM so nowhere near dinner. xD

And school is going quite well so far.

[Image: od8QQA8.png]