Click me to see why these adverts are here

Login:
or Register

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 4.5 Average
The Official Nonsense Thread
27-10-2015, 09:07 PM
RE: The Official Nonsense Thread
Minty Wrote:  We have a party called the Liberal Democrats, which came from a merger between the Liberals & the Social Democrats, but some would argue they don't stand for anything really anymore except hoping to get into power as part of coalitions.

"Hoping" being the operative word! I think the Lib Dems may now appear in dictionaries as an illustration for the word "irrelevance".

(26-10-2015 07:56 PM)Wandarine Wrote:  Edit: Only now do I read that Minty's talking about Merkel as if she was legitimately ruling the EU O.o Kind of scary, isn't it, that she's seen as someone who has the power to kick Poland out of the EU while she's actually only leader of ONE European country?

It's the way she comes across a lot of the time. Sometimes I like her, other times not so much.

Let us move away for a moment from the political sphere and international relations and consider instead the important matter of the day. My chilli plants! Thank you, simspeaker, for the link. I must say the plants in that website look a lot better than mine! I think they are a victim of their own success- there are too many chillies for the plant to support. I am considering a cull, or, as I prefer to term it, an edit.
Quote this message in a reply
27-10-2015, 10:42 PM
(26-10-2015 02:52 AM)simspeaker4 Wrote:  I knew you guys had Tories as well (they are not usually liked here in Canada either) as Liberals (names we borrowed from you guys).
Also, us Canucks make good cannon fodder. Since the days of the First World War, anyway.

And Dieppe, of course. One of the most shameful episodes of WW2.

(26-10-2015 07:56 PM)Wandarine Wrote:  
Quote: We have a party called the Liberal Democrats, which came from a merger between the Liberals & the Social Democrats, but some would argue they don't stand for anything really anymore except hoping to get into power as part of coalitions
This sounds so much like the german social democrats party, the SPD.

Edit: Only now do I read that Minty's talking about Merkel as if she was legitimately ruling the EU O.o Kind of scary, isn't it, that she's seen as someone who has the power to kick Poland out of the EU while she's actually only leader of ONE European country?

I think the German equivalent to the Liberal Democrats is the Free Democrats, i.e. once liberals who now would sell their granny never for power.

Germany ought to attach a dynamo to Gustav Streseman's grave, there would be enough energy generated from him spinning in it they could do away with all their remaining nuclear & fossil fuel plants forever.

(27-10-2015 09:07 PM)Caspin Wrote:  "Hoping" being the operative word! I think the Lib Dems may now appear in dictionaries as an illustration for the word "irrelevance".

Trouble with the Lib Dems/Libs is every time you think they're finished they have a nasty habit of fortune playing their way. After the Jeremy Thorpe murder plot trial everyone thought they were finished & expected Slimy Dave, the fat child molester from Rochdale & Clement "Winalot" Freud to be on the dole, only for the Alliance to happen & rescue their hides.

(Someone I knew at school had David Steel for their uncle, he said Steel and his mate Archie Kirkwood had all the principles of Burke & Hare!)

(27-10-2015 09:07 PM)Caspin Wrote:  Let us move away for a moment from the political sphere and international relations and consider instead the important matter of the day. My chilli plants! Thank you, simspeaker, for the link. I must say the plants in that website look a lot better than mine! I think they are a victim of their own success- there are too many chillies for the plant to support. I am considering a cull, or, as I prefer to term it, an edit.

Shouldn't it be a "pick"?

Egyptiandance Wacko Fryingpan

[Image: 135762.jpg]
29-10-2015, 03:16 AM
Speaking of Canucks as being cannon fodder, does anyone recall hearing about this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTfibZwJofs

Paul Gross seemed to be Mr. Canada a few years back. If you ever get a chance, check out 'Slings & Arrows' as well. I believe clips of it can be found on Youtube.
31-10-2015, 12:06 PM
(27-10-2015 10:42 PM)Minty Wrote:  Shouldn't it be a "pick"?

Nice.

My noisy downstairs neighbour finally moved out, seven months after she was supposed to. So now the new neighbours have moved in - with their howling dog! Splendid! I can barely concentrate at work due to the rabble in the open-plan nightmare, people talk constantly on the bus at a volume that I would consider just short of shouting, then at home I have to listen to people yelling at each other, music I didn't choose and now some poor pooch wailing all night. I feel continually assaulted by noise. If my blood pressure is high, this will be the reason and the doctor can prescribe me some earplugs.

But at least it is the weekend. And it is Halloween. Let the feasting begin! Haveadrink
31-10-2015, 09:04 PM
For Caspin, that she may enjoy Supertramp once more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQfjIw3mivc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZUE4_PtOk0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvfoyXfcwVU

Smile
01-11-2015, 09:13 PM
Ah thank you! Egyptiandance

There is quite a thick fog here today. I like a fog. Hope it clears before bonfire night though. Don't want obscured fireworks. Mind you, some people have started very early - there've been quite a lot of rockets already.
02-11-2015, 02:00 PM
I love watching public information films on Youtube. There's plenty of pifs warning people to be safe on Nov. 5. Some are funny but most are graphic and tragic. Even Hale & Pace got into the topic with their Management guys.
07-11-2015, 10:33 AM (This post was last modified: 07-11-2015 10:50 AM by Caspin.)
Ha yes! Public information videos can be entertaining - especially if you can find older ones. Or even public information pamphlets (or leaflet? is there even a distinction?) from pre-video times. I like the ones from back in the day, explaining how to survive a nuclear attack by, oh I don't know, fashioning a shield out of the newspaper or something. Or there was a video recommending that people took showers with their friends during a water shortage. Some of them were mad. I can't remember the last one we got - possibly it was a few years ago when we got a pamphlet about swine flu (or whichever flu was scaring people most at that time), telling us to make a "flu friend" so that you would have someone to look after you if you succumbed. Dunno

Has anyone been to see "Spectre"? I saw it last week, in the (partly) newly refurbished local cinema. They've put in a bar and repainted it, which is good, but I hope when they refurbish the actual screens they put in some soundproofing. There was another showing of Spectre in the screen next door and you could clearly hear it through the wall, so everything was out of sync by about half an hour and we were effectively getting a preview. I did really like all the Day of the Dead stuff at the start of the film and it was a treat to see Rome again. Other than that the film was a bit slow-moving but I still enjoyed it because I just love Bond films.

I went to watch the fireworks display at the nearest school. The area has a lot of yummy mummies and lots of organic shops and the like. I had to laugh when I queued up to get a burger and found that they were being grilled in a converted hackney cab, and you could choose halloumi instead of normal cheese. It was just such a ridiculous attempt to be posh, when ultimately you are buying a questionable meat product from a guy in a van parked on a muddy field. You can dress it up any way you like, but that's the reality. You just have to laugh. The fireworks were good, though, and you could also see other displays in the distance.
07-11-2015, 12:53 PM
Surprise, I'm back (sort of).
Been a little busy with school and I've just been around Twitter for the past forever.

Spectre seems to have come out fast-I swear it was only a couple of days ago that it was announced. May as well go out and see it, I suppose.

[Image: od8QQA8.png]

07-11-2015, 01:23 PM
Ollie! Sohappy Good to see you!