Click me to see why these adverts are here

Login:
or Register

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 4.5 Average
The Official Nonsense Thread
02-01-2017, 09:18 PM
RE: The Official Nonsense Thread
It went from Sims 3 to Skyrim (the new version is amazing btw) over to GTA V - the last one is really not a good idea when inebriated.

Got a bit of catching up to do it seems in the world of gaming - rumours about a ES6 & a TS5 announcement this year? Don't see either as they're both still trying to monetarize the crap out of their existing bad ideas (in ES's case that's the online version).

Most of Christmas was spend with my brother's family coming up so playing the dutiful host - the stories about their toddler being a terror proving false. OK, to qualify this all I had to do was find some modern Disney movie in the On Demand channels like Frozen or Monsters & instant rapt attention guaranteed.

Dreading heading back to work. They screwed up the business plans for the year majorly (a projected 25% shortfall on profits after a wave of sackings & "streamlining"), & right before the Christmas shutdown it was announced there was to be a big campaign in January to win back customers. Great idea - spend the last dimes of the marketing budget in the month everyone's broke after the holidays.

Egyptiandance Wacko Fryingpan

[Image: 135762.jpg]
Quote this message in a reply
02-01-2017, 10:53 PM
Hey hey, you really did come back. How nice! I kind of missed your funny chats. Glad you survived Christmas with a small person in the house - did they leave yesterday and trigger your celebratory cheese and wine binge? Biggrin

You are quite right about animated movies averting tantrums. Even works on some adults. I've been known to wield a DVD of Finding Nemo like a defensive weapon.

Which new Skyrim are you doing? The remastered old one or the online thing? My brother is doing the online one because he quite likes playing online games with strangers. I am too solitary for such adventures. I have been really enjoying TS3 again. Just pottering about a bit at the weekend, trying to play sims with undesirable traits as a bit of a challenge. Escaping into a game has been a nice distraction from the stresses of real life. I still like Cities Skylines as well, although haven't played it in a while, and did a Tombraider game that I enjoyed a lot. I got really good with the bow right at the end when it ceased to be useful. Yes

Good luck with the return to work. We've been restructured this year and you know how that usually goes. A few weeks after everyone who is left thought it had been completed, an announcement in a meeting to explain that further savings need to be made. So it's not over. I'm miserable about it but at work I keep my poker face as there is no point making a fuss at this point. Anyway, good to see you back.

Anyone lurking- hop in and say hello. I don't bite. Nom!
05-01-2017, 01:09 AM
Holy carp! Minty's made a comeback! Happy New Year Minty and Caspin!! I tried perry for the first time and I didn't like it. I'm royally teetotal but I thought New Year's Eve was the best time to try something alcoholic. My tastebuds did not agree.
So, how have you guys been of late? How your head is better, Minty!
08-01-2017, 03:20 PM
Having a chilled out weekend after a return to the gloom. After the first staff meeting of the year, looks certain to be more redundancies when their next "great leap forward" lands them feet first in the nearest cowpat as ever.

Spent much of it reading Antony Beevor's Ardennes 1944 which I got over Christmas. Not very impressed so far - for such a long book it is crammed with hearsay (a soldier did this, a civilian did that) with no footnote to the primary source to prove he's not simply making poo up or goggling it from the sort of WW2 discussion boards where UFOs somehow are a valid topic!

I know he's a "narrative military historian", which is akin to serious history what "history of art" is to academia , but coming out with long discredited claims that Patton was too busy shagging Marlene Dietrich to pay attention to the clear signs the Nazis were about to attack is Sun reader level (this she managed whilst simultaneously having an affair with John Wayne & Edith Piaf) makes the lazy cut & paste stuff about the Malmedy massacre (he fails to even mention Georg Fleps, whom most now accept was responsible for starting it) look like original research. Can see myself giving up on this before too long.

EgyptiandanceWackoFryingpan

09-01-2017, 01:56 AM
Maybe shift the idea that the book is 'actually' fiction so it might be more palatable. Meanwhile, my knowledge of the Sun is limited but I understand that it's fairly rubbish. I've been following this dude outta Cornwall as he tells the history of ITV and then of BSB. I may have mentioned him before (and if I have I apologize) but thanks to him I've learned more about the UK and its bugbears than I ever did from the little I've read.
On the literary front I just finished reading a book about the Tomb of Christ in the Holy Land. It wasn't what I was expecting but not a bad book. And I'm back to work tomorrow. Sick Yay.
11-01-2017, 11:43 PM
Must admit I've been laughing at the current scandal/hoax about Trump being labelled "Watersportsgate" Biggrin

This looks like it's going to be an interesting year, in a motorway pileup sort of way.

14-01-2017, 03:28 PM
The Sun is a diabolical pile of rubbish and a terrible waste of trees.

Look at you too with your proper books. I've been keeping it light with some murder mysteries. I love murder mysteries. Over the xmas break I did buy some of the Hogarth Shakespeare project books but so far have only managed to add them to my immense pile of unread books. Perhaps this year will be the year I manage to reduce it. Certainly an escape from reality is very welcome these days, whether through a film, book or game I really don't care, just get me out of here!

In other news, I visited the Scandinavian bakery last week and obtained some cinnamon rolls that looked similar to sweetrolls from Skyrim. That made me so happy I may have done a little dance. Simple things, eh.

Sohappy
19-01-2017, 02:04 PM
Did someone steal your sweetrolls when you brought them home, Caspin? Meanwhile, the weather in my neck of the woods has been beautiful this week after last week's horribly cold weather. Indoor recess all freaking week long. There's only so much 'Penguins of Madagascar' one can take. Okay, they are pretty cute but I was glad to see the last episode after a week of their shenanigans.
It felt like a Friday yesterday but it's Thursday today and I have a meeting with the admin. I just hope all goes well with next school year. Hard to believe I've been at this job for seven years. Anyway, the real Friday is coming... Sohappy
22-01-2017, 11:07 PM (This post was last modified: 22-01-2017 11:08 PM by Minty.)
That's a full weekend past since Trump took charge and he's not managed to destroy the world. Who would have thought it? Budo

24-01-2017, 02:14 PM
The year is still young, Minty. Plumbob knows what he has in store for Canada. BangHead
Meanwhile, my Mom's in Mexico with her sisters. She'll be back this Friday so I hope she's having a great time. Based on the pics she's sent, I think she's enjoying herself.