Click me to see why these adverts are here

Login:
or Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Need help from technical people
03-11-2008, 10:51 AM
Need help from technical people
Hey everyone, I want to change over my whole sims 2 game (with all the EPs and SPs into my new external hard drive, cause it's taking up too much space on my main drive. and by everything, I mean everything my cc, houses, neighbourhoos, sims, etc.

So I was just wondering, Will I be safe by cutting and pasting all the folders currently under c:\program files (the main drive) on to the external drive (j:\) plus the files under my documents to the J drive? I'm wondering this because if there's any hidden files i have to move or anything, etc.

If there are hidden files and annoying stuff like that, maybe I should Just back up my files, and do a complete reinstall, moving the old game to the new drive?

Thanks for your help!

also, since it's an external hard drive, i understand the game'll be slower. How much slower? (for the people that hav edone this before)

[center][Image: RIVERBACK.png]
[/center]
Quote this message in a reply
03-11-2008, 04:34 PM
Re: Need help from technical people
The answer, unfortunately, is no.  You can't move those files.  The only way would be to reinstall the game onto a larger hard drive.  Once a program is installed to one specific place it can't have its program files moved.  The new drive will have a difference drive letter and the game will be looking for the old drive letter, and that will cause loads of problems.
04-11-2008, 12:32 AM
Ok, here are my thoughts-

First, I tried installing completely onto an external hard drive. It didn't work.

Secondly, perhaps if you installed the game on the external drive and then moved over files under the main folders, it might work.

Who knows! Good luck!

Bat

I'm here to help! Send me a private message!
04-11-2008, 05:30 AM
Ok, thanks everyone. It looks like i'll have to reinstall the game, and then move my neighbourhoods and CC.

I might do a bit more research on it first, since, on the contrary to what bat said, i'm sure i will be able to instal lit on an external drive, the computer people siad I could! Tongue

But thanks, hoorays to both of you! Big Grin

[center][Image: RIVERBACK.png]
[/center]
04-11-2008, 12:21 PM
I'm not saying you can't install it on an external drive, I'm just saying it didn't work for me. Wink

I'm here to help! Send me a private message!