Click me to see why these adverts are here

Login:
or Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Updating The Sims 2 and its Expansions
20-12-2008, 09:40 PM
Updating The Sims 2 and its Expansions
I've been doing a bit of deep research lately trying to find out what I could do and have gotten no where extremely fast.  I will try to explain to the best of my ability and in detail as to not leave anything out.

I recently took the time to create ISOs of all of my Sims 2 products.  This list includes all of the Expansion Packs and everything.  I've recently converted my 4-CD Sims 2 game to a DVD version and it installs flawlessly.  The problem I am running into is when I attempt to install University or any of the other Expansion or Stuff Packs.  It will get to the point of where it will want to check to see if they are up-to-date and prompt me for the Sims2 DVD.  That is not the issue I am here about.  Is it possible to bypass or completely remove the Update portion of the install process from the Expansion or Stuff sets?  If so, how could this be done?

Here is what I have done thus far:
Within the file structure of "The Sims 2 University" CD is several different folders.  One of them is called AutoRun.  In this folder is a file called autorun.cfg.  This file can be viewed by using Notepad or another popular text editor.  Anyway, the file itself looks like this:

Registry=EA GAMES\The Sims 2 University
Executable=Sims2EP1.exe
AppName=The Sims 2 University
ProductGuiID={8FD3F4BA-A4A6-4380-00A6-CC6853AB2DC2}
Icon=Sims2EP1.ico
EReg=0
TechSupport=1
AutoSort=1
Demo=0
RTPatch=0
RTPatchURL=http://thesims2.ea.com/update/
RTPatchCDID=14883
  This # can vary depending on the version of the software you have.  I edited mine to reflect the DVD version of the Sims 2 that I created.
DirectXVersion=9.0c
IEVersion=0
IEForOnlineOnly=0
Region=NA
StartMenuDXEULA=0
LanguageSelectionScreen=1
FlashVersion=0
FlashForOnlineOnly=0
EASOInstall=0
SuppressionExe=
SplashScreen=0
SlideShow=0
WebURL=
Version=1.0
ToolsEULA=0
ToolsEULADeclineContinue=0
English US=1
French=0
German=0
Italian=0
Spanish=1
Swedish=0
Finnish=0
Dutch=0
Danish=0
PortBrzl=0
Czech=0
Hebrew=0
Greek=0
Japanese=0
Korean=0
Russian=0
Chinese (Simplified)=0
Chinese (Traditional)=0
English UK=0
Polish=0
Thai=0
Norwegian=0
Portuguese=0
Hungarian=0
NumLanguages=2
CacheMinimum=960350
CacheSatisfactory=960350
CacheFull=960350
InstallMinimum=983398519
InstallSatisfactory=983398519
InstallFull=983398519
InstallFullNoStreaming=983398519
SwapSize=0
StartupCD=01
GameII=0
GameSpyInstall=0

I've bolded the entries above that I believe to be linked to the update feature within the install process.  In theory, you should be able to change the first line of the 3 to reflect a 1 or 0 in order to disable this function from running.  Also, I dug a bit deeper and took a closer look at the commonfile_list.txt located in the main directory of the CD itself.  The file looks like this (keep in mind that mine is edited a bit differently than the original because of creating a single .iso from the 2-CD original product.):

1,1,Support\*.* /s
1,1,eauninstall.exe
1,1,TSBin\Sims2EP1.exe
1,1,TSBin\ijl15.dll
1,1,TSData\Control\control0.dat
1,1,Sims2EP1.ico
1,1,Sims2EP1_uninst.exe
1,1,eauninstall.ico
1,1,TSBin\TS2UPD.exe
1,1,Support\OpenSSL_License.txt
1,1,Support\OpenSSL_License_FR.TXT
1,1,TSData\Control\control1.dat
1,1,TSData\Control\control2.dat
1,1,TSData\Control\control3.dat
1,1,TSData\Control\control4.dat

This file lays out the install path that the installer takes on when installing the game.  There is an entry that I've bolded above that, in theory, could be removed to further disable the updater from running.

I have went as far as to make the changes outlined here including removing the file listed above from the TSBin folder and making the necessary edits to the two documents previously listed.  However, when trying to run the installation from an ISO (which should work) it still comes up either giving an error about the updater not being found or that it is going to check for updates.  Does anyone care to take a stab at this and attempt to find a workaround.
Quote this message in a reply
20-12-2008, 09:45 PM
Re: Updating The Sims 2 and its Expansions
Um.... WOW

I think that the game NEEDS the updater in-order to function. Why can't you just update, exactly?
20-12-2008, 09:49 PM
The game asks for the Sims2 DVD (which is custom created due to combining the 4-CD version of the game into one ISO) but will not accept it if I mount it in order to install the update.  I have all of the patches to be able to manually update each of the games and none of the versions that I have are bootlegged copies.  I am simply trying to save my CDs from becoming worn out and like to be able to use ISOs versus having to swith disc after disc.
20-12-2008, 09:51 PM
I see. 

Well i'm not a very technical person, so i can't really help,  sorry Sad
24-12-2008, 09:04 PM
try making a back-up copy of that and delete the words in bold then try to install again if that doesnt work i cant help you any more than that sorry Sad

I LOST MY SIGNATURE! No, Really I did. Sad

[Image: 2gy7r10.jpg]

And now you've got it back, along with your Kurt Cobain avatar! ;P