Login:
or Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Need help with this error: D:\AutoRunGUI.DLL
29-12-2008, 09:57 PM
Need help with this error: D:\AutoRunGUI.DLL
Hello All,
I am hoping someone can help us. My daughter did a uninstall of Sims 2 Teen Style, Sims 2 Pets, and Sims 2, in this order. She was doing an uninstall because she thought she needed to to use Sims 2 Teen Stuff (by mistake we had a DVD version and the pc only took CDs, so she thought she had to uninstall all the games to get this to work). When she tried to reinstall the Sims 2 game, she received this error: Unable to locate required file or required file is corrupted. The file is D:\AutoRunGUI.DLL.

I Googled this error, got the file and downloaded. It is on my pc, but she runs the game off of the CD, which is where it is looking for this file. I really do not want to install all these games on the pc. Any ideas on what we can do to get this all to work again?

I have Windows XP, Service Pack 2 on this pc.

Thank you.
Quote this message in a reply
29-12-2008, 10:03 PM
Re: Need help with this error: D:\AutoRunGUI.DLL
Hello,

I'm sorry to hear you are having problems with the game. It stinks when you cannot play a game that you really want to!

I have a few questions-

Do you have the latest drivers for the computer?

Do any other games work in that drive?

Have you rebooted the computer?

Thanks,
Bat

I'm here to help! Send me a private message!
29-12-2008, 11:44 PM
Dear Bat,
To answer your questions:
I think I have the latest drivers for the pc. Other games do work on it and this game did work before Christmas.

Yes, we did reboot the computer.
30-12-2008, 12:02 AM
That's really weird.

Go to My Computer, then program files and erase the EA Games folder...make sure your computers do not have anything left over from your old install of TS2.  Make sure that's erased and the EA Games folder in My Documents, then reinstall TS2. 

You just may have leftover, corrupted files or something.

Pokemon and Fire Emblem Forum<br /><br />http://pokemblem.b1.jcink.com/index.php?
30-12-2008, 02:01 AM
I would do what Suggie suggested too, but do you have any viruses?

01-01-2009, 11:18 PM
Hello All,
Finally had time to try all your suggestions. I even did a restore in Windows XP to a prior date to try to get this to work.

So...all EA Sims 2 software games and accessories have been uninstalled. When I try to load Sims 2 to install it, I get the same error.

Please advise. Not sure what to do and we have all these Sims games we would like to play! Any help is much appreciated.
01-01-2009, 11:33 PM
Can you run any other games through the CD drive?

02-01-2009, 12:24 AM
1.  I have the same question as Bat.

2.  Try to really make sure that all Sims 2 folders are erased from the computer...the EA Games Folder in Program Files, and in My Documents.

3.  How long did you have it installed before your daughter uninstalled the stuff?  If possible, you can back up your documents and stuff on a flash drive or external hard drive, go back to an earlier time before you installed TS2 for the first time, and try to install TS2 then.

4.  I doubt your TS2 CD or DVD is messed up.  That data on the CD is protected.

5.  Where did you put the autorun file you downloaded?  Is it in the correct folder?

6.  I just googled your problem, and it really didn't come up with a solution...I have seen virus problems from other people with your problem.  Try scanning for a virus.

I'd say system restore to before your daughter uninstalled may be the best bet.

Pokemon and Fire Emblem Forum<br /><br />http://pokemblem.b1.jcink.com/index.php?
02-01-2009, 12:54 AM
Did you have any viruses?

03-01-2009, 01:13 AM
I just did a search on my pc and found the EA games folder under programs. I deleted all the contents of all the folders there. There are no more EA folders on the pc. (I though uninstall would take care of deleting all of this?)

I did several scans to be sure I do not have any viruses and the pc is clean.

My daughter installed the software in June 2008.

The file I downloaded went into a temporary internet folder. Where should it go?

I tried to reinstall Sims 2 and teh same error came back.

We do use the pc with other games. For instance, I tried ZooTycoon by Microsoft and it worked fine.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do.