Click me to see why these adverts are here

Login:
or Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Laggy game
08-03-2009, 10:55 PM (This post was last modified: 08-03-2009 11:06 PM by lcswoosh05.)
Laggy game
For some reason even my Sony notebook at least meets what The Sims 2 needs to play it it is very laggy most of the time. I have tried both the onboard 256mb ram and adding another ram to make it go upto 768mb but still laggs. I did check to see if all of the settings on the game are the lowest and they are the lowest. This notebook did cost $3,500 back in 2002 when I got it so it should be able to play The Sims 2 perfectly fine. I have only installed The Sims 2 game itself without any expansion packs.

I have already installed the latest drivers from Sonys website and also installed all of Microsoft Windows updates.

Here are the specs for my notebook PC

Sony PCG-R505ESP
PIII M 1.2ghz
256mb PC-133 SDRAM can go upto 768mb
40 gig hard drive
Intel 82830M 32mb video card and can go upto 48mb if I add more system ram.
Windows XP Home with SP3
Yamaha AC-XG audio device
Quote this message in a reply
09-03-2009, 12:21 AM
Re: Laggy game
Try to go here and choose The Sims 2. Run the test and let us know what it says.

I'm here to help! Send me a private message!
09-03-2009, 12:59 AM (This post was last modified: 09-03-2009 01:02 AM by lcswoosh05.)
Ok this is weird even I have meet the min req is says it will not run. It says I need 800mhz and I have 1.2ghz and is says you need 256mb and I do have that and it says you need 32mb video card and I do have that so it should work fine. I think the website is having gliches. From what I see it the game should run perfectly fine. Maybe it's just notebook aren't that fast as desktops meaning even lets say both are 800mhz maybe the notebook is slower than the desktop. I don't know.

I did notice that the website reads the PC not right since like example even if my notebook is 1.2ghz it will read as 1.19ghz and so it says it's faster than 1.5ghz which is wrong. I tested this selecting other games to see how this website works but it seems to read your PC wrong.
09-03-2009, 01:05 AM
I haven't had any problems with it before. It works right on for me.

If you are playing on a laptop, the specs will be higher than for on a desktop however.

09-03-2009, 01:31 AM
Well I did just talk to a tech guy now and they said that if your PC is the same speed as desktop it will run the same meaning like if a notebook is a 800mhz then a desktop with 800mhz will run the same. So I don't know why my PC is laggy on this game. Is there a way to help it since it's kinda hard to play. My PC is 1.2ghz which is 1200mhz and that's faster than 800mhz so it should run fine. Plus other specs meets the system requirments for this game.
09-03-2009, 03:00 AM
I think the RAM might be a little low, but that is just my thought. Clean up the disk space. Run some of the utilities to clean up space too. This should all help some. Also, try not playing with downloads.

Lastly, perhaps you have a virus. Run some scans and if you do, that could be the problem.

09-03-2009, 03:13 AM
Well I did try both playing the game running on 256mb and 768mb but both still lag. I do clean my system up and defragment the system too. Also I have Norton AntiVirus 2003 Professional so I should not have a virus. This really weird to tell you the truth I mean my system should play this game perfectly fine without lags. I have high speed cable internet too but that won't matter since this game doesn't use the internet since it's only single player. To tell you the truth having 768mb ram didn't make much difference maybe it's a little better but still lags on some areas. It really lags when there is alot of people around or if I am in a big house. Another place it lags is if I open the refrigerator to get food. If I play in smaller houses it's not as bad but still gets laggy and it's hard to play.
09-03-2009, 03:46 AM
I don't think your graphics card supports T&L. For that reason, your minimum specs go up. Your processor speed doesn't meet the minimum specs. It should be a 2.0 Ghz without T&L or a 800 Mhz with T&L.

Being that your computer is seven years old, (from what I am reading), it won't have T&L on the graphics card because that is fairly new.

09-03-2009, 04:12 AM (This post was last modified: 09-03-2009 05:17 AM by lcswoosh05.)
Well just because my graphics card doesnt have T&L it makes the game get more laggs? How can just one feature do this? What does the T&L feature do to the game? So I need 2.0Ghz speed and there no way bypassing it like putting alot more ram? If I was able to put upto 1gb ram would of that helped any better?

First of all what is T&L??
09-03-2009, 04:45 AM
These are the grapic features that my video card has.

3D Graphics Features:

Full OpenGL* 1.3 ICD (Installable Client Driver)
Compatible with DirectX* 9.0, 8.x, and 7.x
Not all of the new features of DirectX 9.0 are supported.
32 bpp True Color 3D Support
Allows for high quality textures and rendering
3D Performance Features
Up to 166 MHz Core Graphics Clock
Zone Rendering Technology
Renders the 3D scene in pieces to reduce the required memory bandwidth for a given scene
Zone Rendering White Paper
3D Setup and Render Engine
Triangles, Strips, and Fans
Pixel Accurate Fast Scissoring and Clipping Operation
Backface Culling
Anti-aliased Lines (OpenGL only)
Sprite Points
Texture Engine
Up to 4 Textures / Pixel on a Single Pass
Up to 2048x2048 Texture Size
Per Pixel Perspective Corrected Texture Mapping
Single Pass Texture Compositing
12 Level of Detail MIP Map Sizes from 1x1 to 2Kx2K
All Texture Formats Including 32-Bit RGBA and 8-Bit Paletted
Alpha and Luminance Maps
Texture Colorkeying/Chromakeying
Bilinear, Trilinear MIP-Mapped Filtering
Anisotropic Filtering
High quality views of oblique surfaces
Cubic Environment Reflection Mapping
Embossed and Environment (DOT3) Bump-Mapping
Models realistic surface details
Compressed Textures
Rasterization Features
Flat & Gouraud Shading
Color Alpha Blending for Transparency
Vertex and Programmable Pixel Fog and Atmospheric Effects
Color Specular Lighting
16-bit and 24-bit Z and W Buffering
High precision depth buffer increases overall scene quality
8-bit Stencil Buffering
Often used for shadows
Double and Triple Render Buffer Support
16-bit and 32-bit Color
Transparency / Translucency (alpha blending)
Effects like force fields, flames, and plasma beams
Destination Alpha
Fast Clear Support

2D Graphics Features:

32 Bpp True Color 2D Support
256-bit Pattern Fill and BLT Engine Performance
Programmable 3-Color Transparent Cursor
Color Space Conversion
GDI+* Feature Support
Anti-aliased Lines
Alpha Blended Cursor
Anti-aliased Text