Click me to see why these adverts are here

Login:
or Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Need help with 2 problems in Sims 2
11-07-2009, 10:57 PM
Need help with 2 problems in Sims 2
Hi! I'm having 2 problems with Sims 2 - It's user error, I'm positive. Smile But any help is greatly appreciated as I've searched online and on TheSims2.com for answers and come up with nothing.

First, I'm having issues with items I've downloaded (Sims, clothes, etc) for Sims 2. I run Vista and have the Sims Double Deluxe and Freetime. I can download and install things from the Exchange without any problem but there are other Sims sites that I download things (I always download to the desktop, then double-click to install) and then when I double-click to install it, I get an error message saying that Windows cannot open the file and that I need to pick what program I want the file to open with.

Second, how in the world do you create outside stairs?!? I've seen all these great houses that have outside porches and whatnot whenever I try to do a porch, I fail miserably.

So, thanks in advance for the help! I greatly appreciate it!
~Lex
Quote this message in a reply
12-07-2009, 06:42 AM
Re: Need help with 2 problems in Sims 2
1) For the downloads you are installing, if they are clothes, hair, objects, then double clicking will not work. You need to go under Documents/EA Games/The Sims 2/Downloads and put all the files in there. Then they will show up in your game. If they are Sims or Lots, they should work by just double clicking. If those are what you are having problems with, then let me know and I'll see what I can do.

2) To create outdoor stairs, you go into the stairs section as always, and (if I'm remembering right), there's the stairs to create the different levels, but if you look below, you'll see another stair icon, where you select that, the style, and then on the edge of your foundation/decks, you place it, and the stair should "lock in" and when you click, you just built stairs. There's also a button to railings where you select that, and go over your stairs and they should appear depending on what side your clicking on.

If you need more explanation, just ask and I'll start up my TS2 and post a mini-tutorial with pictures!

[center]<br />“Be vewy, vewy quiet. We’re hunting demons.”<br />- Phoebe Halliwell<br /><br />My Sims 2 Stories and Legacies<br /><br />| Halliwell Asylum | The Willams's Legacy | The Peterson Story |<br />| Eyra - Prosperity Challenge | The Picker Family - Uglacy | <br /><br />My Sims 3 Stories and Legacies<br /> <br />| Role Legacy | Sim Share 2 | Sim Share 3 | SimsForums Legacy |<br /><br />There's new updates for the Picker Family<br /><br />| LJ | Website |<br />[/center]
12-07-2009, 08:44 PM (This post was last modified: 12-07-2009 08:46 PM by Lexiani.)
Thanks so much Phoebe! I actually did get stairs to build last night but I had to raise the terrain so the bottom of the stairs would be level with the ground...if that makes sense.

So, the clothes/hair, objects, I see what you mean by them needing to go into EA Games>Sims>Downloads...problem is, when I click on them to download, this is the message that pops up:

[Image: mel.png]

When it saves, it (obviously) tries to open with Adobe (for some reason) and when I save it, it saves with the Adobe icon. So I'm thinking even if I put it in the Downloads folder, idk if it's still going to work or not. I'm just confused on this - this is the first time I've really tried downloading anything for a Sims game. Hopefully will begetting Sims 3 soon but I'm assuming downloads work the same with that game...just there are some really crummy options for things in Sims 2 (like paint/carpet/hairstyles/etc)

Also - what exactly is a "MESH"? Because some sites have just the download and others have the download and the MESH download. Sorry for all the questions but I really appreciate your help!!
12-07-2009, 11:13 PM
Its werid that it has the abobe icon lol. With RAR's, you need to unzip them. Your computer probably thinks that it can use Adobe to open it or something lol. So, are you having a hard time with getting the RARs? In that case, you need to download something that unzips RARs (they are just like Zips, only "better"). WinRAR is the program of choice for most people, but I use ALZip.

A MESH is like a file that creates a type of shape for clothing and hair. Without it, the hair and clothing can't exist because the color/texture has nothing to hold on to. It isn't the technical definition, but with anything that says it requires a MESH, always download it if it isn't already included otherwise it won't work.

And no problem, ask as many questions as you'd like! We've all been new to this at one time. And in TS3, there isn't any custom content and there's a launcher that installs it for you (if you get it from the official TS3 site), so it isn't so complicated xD

[center]<br />“Be vewy, vewy quiet. We’re hunting demons.”<br />- Phoebe Halliwell<br /><br />My Sims 2 Stories and Legacies<br /><br />| Halliwell Asylum | The Willams's Legacy | The Peterson Story |<br />| Eyra - Prosperity Challenge | The Picker Family - Uglacy | <br /><br />My Sims 3 Stories and Legacies<br /> <br />| Role Legacy | Sim Share 2 | Sim Share 3 | SimsForums Legacy |<br /><br />There's new updates for the Picker Family<br /><br />| LJ | Website |<br />[/center]
15-07-2009, 04:04 AM
I downloaded WinRAR but it's only a trial version so I'll probably download ALZip afterwards but WinRAR seems to be doing the trick - except seems like I need to buy more expansion packs before I can download more stuff. None of the other ones looked particularly interesting other than University. But maybe I'll just skip that and go for Sims 3

Thanks much for your help Phoebe!!!