Click me to see why these adverts are here

Login:
or Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
AS Level Results!
21-08-2009, 04:21 PM (This post was last modified: 21-08-2009 04:24 PM by Super_Matt.)
Re: AS Level Results!
I know nothing of the American Education system, so I'll ignore Mikes rant ...

I feel for you guys, I hated exam time (although I did enjoy the 'study' leave!).

I got 11 GCSEs in total if I remember correctly, A, BBBBB, CC, D, E, F (in French, I hated that!). All were passes though!

The A was for PE Theory, I was a sports freak! {chinup}

Although exams are much easier these days, as the pass rates prove Tongue

I'm always happy to help! If you need anything, just send me a personal message (PM) and I'll try help if I can...
Quote this message in a reply
21-08-2009, 04:24 PM (This post was last modified: 21-08-2009 04:25 PM by Super_Matt.)
(21-08-2009 04:21 PM)Matt link Wrote:Although exams are much easier these days, as the pass rates prove  Tongue

Are not. I got moved down Maths class today. LMAO.

Coming Soon...
21-08-2009, 04:31 PM
Lol Mike. Tongue

Anyway, I'm in Canada I guess that counts but I'm going into 9th grade on Wednsday and only then do you start
exams. But I have 8 subjects and I'm sure there will be loads of work. 4 terms, 2 semesters, 2 sets of REAL exams.

Does that make you happier? Tongue
21-08-2009, 04:34 PM
Mhm. XD

Coming Soon...
21-08-2009, 05:01 PM
Haha, I'm glad I'm only doing 3 now.
Thats overall about 5 exams depending on modules.
Tongue
I did so many in Y11 haha.

[center][Image: signature.jpg]
<br />the legacy of me - 19/3 | facebook | twitter
23-08-2009, 02:58 AM
@ Mike: There's probably no doubt that Americans get off easy, but I think its more work load than actual exams. Although in recent years, every state has these state tests/exams, whatever you want to call them. The states have to get a certain passing rate in order to get money, so they heavily weight it down on us to pass. I know for sure that Massachusetts and probably other states as well, is that if you don't pass their state testing in your senior year, you get held back and can't graduate because you are to blame for a bad score on their record, and if enough people fail, they won't get money and they'll start crying (The states I mean xD).

For college, if you want to get into a decent one, we have to take two different exams (ACT and SAT). They are both different, they ask questions differently on both tests. We don't get any time off to study for these. For those who REALLY care about it, they have to spend hours upon hours of study time, on their own time. If this is during the school year, then they have to do their school work as well as their studying. If we don't get a certain score or higher, some colleges will just deny you on that. But naturally, there's people who don't care about it and they get what they get, so again, we can technically get off easy if they want to start at a lower rate college or even community college.

I think all of our stuff is based more on what we learn in the classroom and passing the classroom tests and classes, more than qualifying tests. The tests are mostly for the states. I remember when I lived in Massachusetts, they taught everything towards their state test, not what we actually had to learn. But I don't know why the freaked some of the time, since the exams tested us on everything we were supposed to know since like kindergarten. I remember a math question in like the 6th grade where we had to circle all of the shapes that were triangles.

Mkay, I'm done =D Just figured to clarify a bit. If anyone has anything to add, feel free xD

Oh, and there's a slight difference in the use of vocab. We use tests and exams interchangeably for pretty much anything, whether it'd be national, state, or just regular class test. The only time I can remember where we use "exam" is like midterm and final exams for our classes. It could also vary by area I suppose xD

EDIT: Aw crap, that post is long. I really took over your thread, Nichola ;__; I AM SORRRY!

[center]<br />“Be vewy, vewy quiet. We’re hunting demons.”<br />- Phoebe Halliwell<br /><br />My Sims 2 Stories and Legacies<br /><br />| Halliwell Asylum | The Willams's Legacy | The Peterson Story |<br />| Eyra - Prosperity Challenge | The Picker Family - Uglacy | <br /><br />My Sims 3 Stories and Legacies<br /> <br />| Role Legacy | Sim Share 2 | Sim Share 3 | SimsForums Legacy |<br /><br />There's new updates for the Picker Family<br /><br />| LJ | Website |<br />[/center]
23-08-2009, 03:15 AM
Phoebe is right. You don't pass that test in senior and tenth year your held back.
23-08-2009, 04:45 AM
Mkays, so I won't pretend to be an expert on American testing (as I'm not from here, obviously), but most of my friends just went through their senior testing last year, so I know more about it now than I use to. (Oooh, there's a good point...Americans go to school for two more years than we do...my friends are all 17/18/19, and they JUST finished school and are off to college. I don't consider that "getting off easy", to be honest.)

First off, as Briana said, they have the SAT and the ACT to worry about if they want to get into a decent college. The SAT tests all subjects, I think (for them, 'all subjects' means English/reading/writing, math, history, and science...I think XD). The ACT is mostly English/reading/writing and math based. The scores that they get on these tests basically decide which college they go to. As such, these are reallllly important tests. And they don't give you any study time at school, nor do they offer a class or anything for it. So if you want to do well, you have to study on your own time IN ADDITION to keeping up with school.

Second, they have midterm exams and final exams (one in the middle of the year, and one at the end) for each of their classes. They're usually taken in class, but it takes the entire class period whereas most other tests don't. Sometimes it even takes several class periods. One of my friends went to math for two hours each day for four days just to finish one final exam. The teacher proctors, and they can't leave, talk, etc. for the entire class period. Even when they're done with their exams, they're not allowed to do anything but sit there.

Third, in some states there are state tests. Here in Florida, they have what's called the FCAT. Some years it decides whether you get to pass that year or not (eeep!), and some years it's just to see what class you'll be in the next year (remedial, honors, regular, whatever). But it's mostly used to grade the school and the state, not the actual student. So teachers dedicate a LOT of time in class to practice for this test, as poor grades only reflect negatively on the teachers (which, of course, they don't want). My friends say this test is ridiculously easy, but then again they're all "advanced" students, so I guess it may be harder for some than it is for others.

Fourth, there's the Norm Reference Test, but I think they're either phasing that out or revising it or something. All I know about that one is that it's colourful. XD

I think the main focus is to pass the class. Their workload is ridiculous, especially in the AP and honors level classes. Some students take classes at local colleges in addition to taking their normal classes at the high school. One girl I know graduated high school with a BD. {blink}

As for course load, one of my friends only took four classes last year, but another took 12 at the high school and four at the college (she was a DE student), so I guess it varies depending on the person/school/state.

By the way, if any of the above info is wrong, I apologise. Feel free to correct me.

I have to admit, I use to be under the same impression as you, Mike. Not just in schooling/testing, but in loads of other subjects. I always thought Americans lived the easy life (most of the time). [By the way, I hope no one takes offense to this! I don't mean to sound judgemental or belitting or anything. Just sos you knows. Smile I luff you all!] But now I think that they have it easy in some areas and we have it easy in some areas. So it's fair, in the end. XD

[center][Image: icon110.png]
[Image: 7.png]
[Image: 8.png]
<br />[Image: donutmanatee2.gif]
<br />It's...the doughnut manatee. XD
23-08-2009, 05:21 AM
Thats awesome that you passed Nichola!

And Mike, (I hope this sounds friendly, Im trying my best lol)

But Americans arent really that off the hook.   Im only in Jr.High, but I still konw how it works.   Every year, in Iowa at least, we take the Iowa Test of Basic Skills.  We take it twice, and it takes all week to do it.   Then we also have a Nebraska test thingie, which takes 2 hours Every Day for over a week.  Then at the end of each year we take exams (yes, these are all exams, with moderators, and such) for each subject for everything that year that takes like 2 class periods (over 2 days.)      And then in High School, in addition to all of those exams, homework, and tests, they have ACTs and SATs which is everything they have ever learned EVER.   And those tests with your GPA decide the colleges you get to go too.  And then on top of all of THAT, we study for scholarships so we can afford college.      Then we have 2 Year College or 4 year University, which starts at 18, not 16,  we have very difficult classes with exams and homework and tests.     And even after all of that, we arent guaranteed a job. 

Okay, rant response  over XD
23-08-2009, 06:33 AM
SO sorry Nichola! This thread should be about you. Sad

But
*joins in* 
XD
Haha. Yes Bambi is correct except for the fourth part... Never heard of that. 
{blink}
I've lived in America for 12 years and well this system is based on passing with high marks. 
Mike,you got 2 weeks or so off to work on your papers? Well last year for our midterms and final term exams we didn't. We usually were told what we had to write on or sometimes they wouldn't tell us at all. Then we had to write a paper, some teachers made us write during the test. And we didn't have seperate time to do the papers.   Other let us do iy ahead of time but we had like 3 days to finish and turn it in on the day of the test.

As Phoebe said and Bambi restated. We don't get time whatsoever for SATs and ACTs. (btw I never knew that SATs and ACTs were different. I thought they were the same. {blink} thanks for the info Bambi! Smile) And for most of us including myself. If we don't pass the ACTs or SATs with a high scores then well. We can't get into college. I could never afford college if I didn't get a scholarship. I couldn't even afford state college. So some of us don't have it easy. Also having it easy has to do with your family background,support,etc. Either your family pushes you to work hard or don't care and you slack off. Sometimes a little too much if both is bad. Yes even parents pushing their kids is horrible..look at kids in other countries. XD *points to India*

Yes. High school is hard. Especially Honors. I take most Honors classes. And it's very hard cause they go TOO fast. I remember last year when my Geometry would not spend more then a day on a lesson. The most he's ever spent on a lesson was 2-3 days. And it was only on like two lessons. I passed his class with a C... Gah. 
AP is even harder! My friends said they had to write a paper the VERY first day. And it was a half day too. O_O
Also here in America extra activites outside of the school is common. So most teens have to balance sports,drama,clubs,jobs,etc with school. 
Now it's like you can't be just the guy with good grades and on the football team. You have to do more which puts more stress. Cause colleges want diversity. I know alot of people who have to be good in sports or they can't get into a college. I dunno if you guys have this. But we have Athletic Scholarships. Which obviously means if you have a good record and recommandations then you can enter colleges with that scholarship. Though you have to keep a certain GPA. 

I'm not trying to say that we have it hard. Nor do we have it easy. I'm honestly not familar with the British system so I can't point and say 'You guys get to do this and this'. Cause I would like a fool and it'd be mean. But what I am trying to say is. We both have it easy and hard. And it usually varies from person to person as well as country to country. If you would compare my country to like the US then that'd be different. Cause in my country you get smacked hard if you don't study ;__; 
My uncle would know x]

So hopefully you see what I'm saying ^^

I know I sent you a PM but I wasn't clear I guess. And I got too lazy to send you one with these details. XD

Really sorry Nichola! *makes cupcakes* =3