Click me to see why these adverts are here

Login:
or Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Two Things
04-09-2009, 10:57 PM
Two Things
I have two things I guess I want to suggest (Yeah, I guess they are suggestions xD)

HotLinking

I've noticed some hotlinking on the site, mainly to snootysims. I'd really love it if it was in the rules to NOT hotlink.

For anyone that doesn't know what it means, its taking pictures, downloads, etc that isn't yours (like taking pictures from snootysims) and JUST taking the picture URL and posting it here without uploading it to your own server (aka photobucket for most of us xD). So basically you take a picture from someone else's site, and when it loads here, it uses extra bandwidth for them. If they run out of bandwidth, they have to pay MORE money to keep their sites up, or it can shut it down for the rest of the month. With more views, the more bandwidth it uses. It would make it just so much easier on them if we took the extra step of loading it up to our own image places and we don't add to their bandwidth used count.

(Example (Just in case if I didn't explain it well, I'm really bad at explaining this): You take one of my legacy pictures. You right clicked, got the URL to the picture from my photobucket account. You went to another site (Say MTS picture thread). You paste the picture by directly linking to the original source (My Photobucket). YOU just hotlinked the picture (let alone probably claimed it as your own, another issue we are all well aware of xD), so now the bandwidth is being used without my knowing, and more people view the picture. If enough people do, all my bandwidth gets used and no one can view my legacies until the next month.)

WCIF/Great Finds

This also ties into the above if we do this. I would love to start a Where Can I Find and Great Finds threads for both TS2/TS3 (maybe even TS1 if someone feels so inclined). I'm always looking at custom content and I think it'd be fun to share what I find with everyone else. And the WCIF thread could help out anyone. For the Great Finds though, since it would most likely deal with free sites, the less bandwidth we use up for them, the easier they can stay up, so a no hotlinking rule would be helpful for them. Most likely, I'd probably post the most Great Finds since I love looking for stuff and I'd love to share it with others. Just sayin' xD I could also make sure that the pictures that other people post aren't hotlinking, so that the mods don't have to all the time Tongue. They need to enjoy the forum too Wink

What do you all think?

[center]<br />“Be vewy, vewy quiet. We’re hunting demons.”<br />- Phoebe Halliwell<br /><br />My Sims 2 Stories and Legacies<br /><br />| Halliwell Asylum | The Willams's Legacy | The Peterson Story |<br />| Eyra - Prosperity Challenge | The Picker Family - Uglacy | <br /><br />My Sims 3 Stories and Legacies<br /> <br />| Role Legacy | Sim Share 2 | Sim Share 3 | SimsForums Legacy |<br /><br />There's new updates for the Picker Family<br /><br />| LJ | Website |<br />[/center]
Quote this message in a reply
04-09-2009, 11:47 PM
Re: Two Things
I always hotlink.  IT seems like to much to save the image and upload it.  It just seem that much of a problem to me (wishes we still had old wink and the new one.  The old one would work nice here.)  Ive never seen anyone have a problem with bandwidth or whatever it is LOL    And couldn't you just make that thread?
05-09-2009, 12:06 AM
Yeah, sure it takes longer to upload it yourself, but it would save the headache for the webmaster. And you may have not seen it, but it is out there. If one person does it, many do it, and then it causes site problems, etc etc. It would just be more helpful for the site owners to have at least less people hotlink, especially for the free content community. They don't charge for their items, and have to have other means to provide us with their content. It's more polite to not use their bandwidth just to share a picture on another site. Pluss, if the site is down, the pictures won't be gone from the site.

And yeah, I could, but I just want people's input on it. I don't want to bother creating if no one will look/bother with it. Then it'd just be a waste of time xD

[center]<br />“Be vewy, vewy quiet. We’re hunting demons.”<br />- Phoebe Halliwell<br /><br />My Sims 2 Stories and Legacies<br /><br />| Halliwell Asylum | The Willams's Legacy | The Peterson Story |<br />| Eyra - Prosperity Challenge | The Picker Family - Uglacy | <br /><br />My Sims 3 Stories and Legacies<br /> <br />| Role Legacy | Sim Share 2 | Sim Share 3 | SimsForums Legacy |<br /><br />There's new updates for the Picker Family<br /><br />| LJ | Website |<br />[/center]
05-09-2009, 12:39 AM
Phoebe, our news images are stored in a database on this site.

As for hotlinking, I agree. It isn't right. I'll see what we can do.

I'm here to help! Send me a private message!
05-09-2009, 01:28 AM
I figured you guys didn't do that ^_^ But I've noticed other members using snootysim images on here without uploading elsewhere first when I noticed snooty wouldn't load, and neither would the pictures.

But thank you. I just get annoyed at times when people use bandwidth that other people pay for, and here we are doing it for free.

05-09-2009, 01:19 PM
Phoebe,

Please feel free to create the WCIF/Great Finds threads. I'm sure people will take the time to look at them, I definitely would. Wink

Coming Soon...
05-09-2009, 09:39 PM
Okie Dokie ^_^ I will then, sometime today.

EDIT: I do have one question for anyone with modship (or adminship xDD)

With the WCIF threads, what about pay stuff that's been fileshared? Like someone is trying to find a pay hair, can we link them where to find the paid and a possible recolors if its out there (which isn't paid)? (Or a better way to say it) if someone is trying to find the recolors for a paid hair, can we link them where the filesharing is?

I'm assuming its a no, but I want to make sure. Also, if it is a no, can we link to general sites (Like Sims Cave and PMBD) that has it in the intro thread, or is that a no also? (If it is, I'll remove the site names from this post as well. I don't want to break any rules, I just wish for some clarification ^_^)

06-09-2009, 12:11 AM
Not sure...Matt/Mr. Admin ultimately have the final say.

I would think (don't quote me) that if you link to the pay version (where they must pay), then that would be fine, but I doubt we want linking to free paid downloads...

I'm here to help! Send me a private message!
06-09-2009, 12:14 AM
No piracy - Linking to, requesting or discussion of illegally obtaining unlicensed copyrighted material.

Copied directly from the rules thread.        Id say no Smile
06-09-2009, 12:54 AM
Aye, that's what I thought Wink I just wanted to be absolutely sure, because I didn't want to post the thing against the rules and be, well, WRONG xDD