Login:
or Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
what are you reading?
03-07-2011, 09:04 PM
RE: what are you reading?
(28-06-2011 04:46 PM)DreamerOfLight55 Wrote:  "Charmed Life"

Interesting witchcraft novel similar to Harry Potter...

You should read it! Smile

You don't mean there's someone else J K Rowling ripped off apart from Jill Murphy and C S Lewis and J R R Tolkien and Roald Dahl and Neil Gaiman and ah forget it or we'll be here all night! Big Grin

[Image: 135762.jpg]
Quote this message in a reply
03-07-2011, 09:09 PM
You know, I didn't really enjoy CS Lewis's books. The Christian undertones were so strong.

[center][Image: jZwBSkZFApwr9ym65iLlFoaGo1_500.jpg]
[center]
03-07-2011, 09:31 PM
(03-07-2011 09:09 PM)bobert26 Wrote:  You know, I didn't really enjoy CS Lewis's books. The Christian undertones were so strong.

Most of C S Lewis' books were like that. Funny to think he and J R R Tolkien were best buddies at Oxford Uni and both ended up doing the same sort of thing. Tolkien's stuff is far heavier in language - in fact it reads exactly like the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle or William of Malmesbury. Lewis was aiming for younger or less confident readers, with Tolkien being the "step up".

Up until recently with the films, Lewis' works had been pushed aside since as you say there's such an obvious Christian undertone to them (although to be fair there's plenty of other monotheistic religions sharing similar world views). My guess is that more kids will have grown up until recently with "Watership Down" as their first fantasy novel (can you call it that?) than the Narnia books, especially as most people get fed up after finishing "The Voyage Of The Dawn Treader"! Tongue

[Image: 135762.jpg]