www.simsforums.com - the Sims series, computer games & other nonsense since March 2008.
Clickable signature ideas - Printable Version

+- www.simsforums.com - the Sims series, computer games & other nonsense since March 2008. (https://www.simsforums.com)
+-- Forum: The Sims Forums Community (/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Website Feedback & Suggestions (/forumdisplay.php?fid=28)
+--- Thread: Clickable signature ideas (/showthread.php?tid=11674)

Clickable signature ideas - Caspin - 12-05-2013 09:11 AM

I thought I would try making a clickable signature to use on the EA forums, not that I post there much but worth a try perhaps.

Having never made such a thing before I was slightly at a loss so my first attempt was ..... hmmmmm what's the word ..... oh yeah - basic!

I took the hex numbers for the blue and green on SF and made them into a colour gradient on a signature-making website. It just looks grubby doesn't it! Also there's no logo and the font is wrong. But I did score a great personal victory in that I did manage to make it clickable (after half an hour of swearing at the screen and trying to get the pesky square brackets in the right order) so that the version on the EA forum brings the clickers straight here. Yay me!

[Image: SF.jpg]

This morning I had another go, using a plain blue background and pasting in the proper logo. It's a bit better but the resolution isn't great.

[Image: B.png]

I might consult my household Head of IT on how to use Photoshop to make some further improvements.

Anyone have any ideas or tips?

:mw_hmmm:

RE: Clickable signature ideas - Minty - 12-05-2013 10:05 AM

Good one!

I have a Sims Forums signature for the Officials but like you I seldom post there.

[Image: 135762.jpg]

For those wondering what that skull is doing on there, it is the old [EVDI] logo (Evil Dictators), the MOH/COD/BF2 clan I was in until it folded a year or whatever back. Dimensions are 600 x 115 pixels

If you want to have a clickable siggy on the Officials, here's what to do (I'm writing this step-by-step so everyone will understand it).

1. Go to the official forum & log in.
2. Once you do, a new menu bar will appear on the forums pages looking like this

[Image: 139277.jpg]

3. Click on the line called My Preferences.

4. A signature box will appear. Post into it the following code

PHP Code:
[url=http://www.simsforums.com][img]http://LOCATIONOFYOURSIGNATURE[/img][/url] 

5. Hit the Submit button at the bottom.

That's it!

For anyone looking for a signature to use or to take & modify for their own use in here or elsewhere, here's a selection of full sized signatures (with space for customisation) & "bite sized" ones.

[Image: 139278.jpg]

[Image: 139279.jpg]

[Image: 139280.jpg]

[Image: 139281.jpg]

[Image: 139282.jpg]

[Image: 139283.jpg]

Egyptiandance Wacko Fryingpan

RE: Clickable signature ideas - Caspin - 12-05-2013 10:35 AM

(12-05-2013 10:05 AM)Minty Wrote:  [Image: 139279.jpg]

Yay! I think I shall take this one, since it contains the correct shad of blue, and all I need to do then is add some text.

I wish I had asked for help at the start, as I would then not have got into such a muddle with my brackets. My Head of IT got a good giggle out of it anyway! Biggrin

Another thing I found out, in case anyone else is a novice like me - try to make the length of the URL for your picture as short as possible, because there is a character limit on how much you can write in the box on the EA forum. Originally mine was too long so I had to truncate the name of the image I was using in Photobucket to make the overall code short enough.

Update:

Thank you for the ready-made bit, Minty, that made it a lot quicker! Here was my third version, which was all right, I think.

[Image: C.png]

Then I realised the black text wasn't very nice and that I should use white writing like the logo. I even managed to add a shadow! I am quite pleased (can you tell). Yahoo

So, this will do for now:

[Image: D.png]

I do love a mini-project on a Sunday morning!

Yes

RE: Clickable signature ideas - Ollie - 12-05-2013 11:18 AM

Ooo, those are some nice signatures!

RE: Clickable signature ideas - Caspin - 12-05-2013 12:28 PM

Ta!

I have just been advised by Head of IT (she's got her work cut out for her this morning, dealing with my enthusiasm for a new project) that you can save on characters by using an "URL shortening programme". Google has one. So then you can put together more complex code and still have it fit inside the box.

So, for example, http://simsforums.com becomes http://goo.gl/oO8rM, which only saves 2 characters, but for a very long URL like a Photobucket link, it can save bunches and bunches of characters. Great stuff!

I have also been given a crash course in correct use of brackets in coding.

Also I have been told not to write "click here" because that action is obvious. Apparently my "copy" is not satisfactory (makes it sound like a newspaper).

So I shall muck around a bit more with it and try to make it more acceptable. Biggrin

RE: Clickable signature ideas - Caspin - 12-05-2013 05:43 PM

How to lose a whole day! Oh deary me, that cannot possibly be the time - but it is! I have to cook dinner.

Anyway, this is where I'm up to with my project. I came up with the (dumb and needlessly complicated) idea of making a banner in two parts, so that one bit would be clickable and bring you here to SF, the other bit linked to my blogspot. I took the liberty of making them in my own colour scheme (I mean, Minty has a blood-stained skull on his signature so I figured a different shade of blue was probably permissible Biggrin ).

Unfortunately I failed to consider that to make the two components together occupy a reasonable height, the two halves should have been made shorter. Duh! So I'll have to figure that out, or more likely give up and stick with my original attempt.

Still, it's kept me quiet and I've learned some new things.

[Image: SignatureBannerForSF.png]

[Image: CC.png]

Fryingpan