www.simsforums.com - the Sims series, computer games & other nonsense since March 2008.
What are you thinking right now? - Printable Version

+- www.simsforums.com - the Sims series, computer games & other nonsense since March 2008. (https://www.simsforums.com)
+-- Forum: The Sims Forums Community (/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Thread: What are you thinking right now? (/showthread.php?tid=7360)

RE: What are you thinking right now? - Minty - 11-03-2013 10:30 AM

(11-03-2013 10:03 AM)Caspin Wrote:  Right now I'm thinking that, judging by the timing of that post, Minty doesn't sleep!

I find it difficult to cope when watching US TV shows in which they say fanny. The context is usually clear but it still causes me to cringe in alarm.

Also how nice to see the word 'ninny' in use. Biggrin
You'd be right about the not sleeping! Slept for a few hours & woke up in a very fresh as a daisy mood - even more so as it is a glorious sunny day here, very warm if in the sunshine, but also bitterly cold. Bizarre!

There used to be a TV cook called Fanny Cradock (I think she was the first). She was an evil old witch (she made Jarsie9 look like Lorraine Kelly!) & treated people working with her like dung. She was on TV for years only because everyone laughed every time she would say "now you know how to make yours look like Fanny's". Her novels were also bloody awful!

Egyptiandance Wacko Fryingpan

RE: What are you thinking right now? - bobert26 - 11-03-2013 10:42 AM

I remember walking through the cemetery with my friends once and finding the gravestone of a woman with the first name Fanny. We just about died. Disrespectful, I know, but god... what an unfortunate name.

RE: What are you thinking right now? - Caspin - 11-03-2013 11:04 AM

You don't get many girls called Fanny these days, thankfully. I wonder in fact if there are any?

I watched some show about Fanny Craddock a few years ago. She did seem really mean. Also her recipes looked nasty!

Sick

RE: What are you thinking right now? - Ollie - 11-03-2013 11:21 AM

(11-03-2013 10:42 AM)bobert26 Wrote:  I remember walking through the cemetery with my friends once and finding the gravestone of a woman with the first name Fanny. We just about died.
Was this intended to be a pun inside itself?
Biggrin

RE: What are you thinking right now? - Caspin - 11-03-2013 12:01 PM

Biggrin I didn't even spot that, Ollie!

I love looking at old graves. I saw some great ones in a graveyard in Stirling, where there are symbols on the grave stones that tell you the profession of the person.

In other news: it is snowing again here! I fear for my crocuses.

RE: What are you thinking right now? - Minty - 12-03-2013 08:30 PM

Old Scottish gravestones are wonderful, & especially in the countryside there's still so many old kirkyards where the old stones remain. Those in the towns were sadly often cleared & the stones dumped in a far corner to make room for new internments (in England if they were lucky they'd go into an ossury in the crypt).

It used to be that people bought the gravestones ahead of time and had the mason inscribe their name and that of all their family members on them with the dates of birth to save money (as years later inflation would mean it would cost a lot more to do, & masons used to be paid "by the letter", so you still see incomplete stones with no date of death on them but that of the first person, usually meaning the family moved away from the area.

The best ones are the ones where they covered the back with symbols as well, like in the famous Alloway Kirk, usually indicating the trade that person was in.

[Image: smith.jpg]

This one for instance shows the guy was the local blacksmith and farrier.

RE: What are you thinking right now? - Caspin - 12-03-2013 09:40 PM

What is sad, though, is visiting the grave yard of a settlement near the sea and looking at old graves upon which they listed the cause of death.

Drowned. Drowned. Drowned. Drowned....

Really depressing, but then fishing is a dangerous occupation.

RE: What are you thinking right now? - Minty - 12-03-2013 11:51 PM

Up in Iona the graveyard has a whole load of tombstones that say on it at the bottom "Known Unto God" - people washed up on the shores after ships sank. There was a stack of them from September 1940 due to a ship that was sunk during the war.

The Falkland Islands graveyard at Darwin has 123 of them, because the Argentinian commanders during the 1982 invasion took all the soldiers dogtags off them when they realised they were going to lose - the twisted logic being they'd fight harder if there was the fear of being killed and buried in an unknown grave.

The grave of the old Labour leader John Smith is up in Iona. The locals objected privately because they've a rule not to allow "tourist burials" any longer because there isn't the room left except for locals & those on Mull, but as Labour back then had complete control of Scotland they were bullied into it (words to the effect of being threatened with a negative newspaper campaign from the Daily Record, funding cuts from central government, etc).

It was the start of the Mandelson era & was turned into a sort of shrine where anyone wanting to advance in the party was expected to go up & "pay homage" (they'd even put a stone on it, like it was the end of the film Schindler's List!). Sick doesn't begin to describe it, & it certainly didn't help the islanders any, as the buggers would arrive with their heavies, clear any tourists away so they could get uninterrupted photos looking suitably solemn at it for their next election leaflets before jumping on the first ferry back (which is a real horror to be in if the sea is anything less that calm, as it's flat bottomed!).

Smith's family also wouldn't listen to the locals warning them the stone they used for the graveslab was too soft for the salty air. The whole thing was eroded blank in ten years flat as a result & had to be recut at considerable expense.

Here's a good one that looks like it was from the famous Tombstone graveyard.

[Image: slogans-put-tombstones-halloween-800x800.jpg]

RE: What are you thinking right now? - Caspin - 13-03-2013 09:49 AM

(12-03-2013 11:51 PM)Minty Wrote:  The Falkland Islands graveyard at Darwin has 123 of them, because the Argentinian commanders during the 1982 invasion took all the soldiers dogtags off them when they realised they were going to lose - the twisted logic being they'd fight harder if there was the fear of being killed and buried in an unknown grave.

How horrible. Sad

Seems like we all enjoy looking at grave stones. We should organise a Sims Forums Cemetery Road Trip!

I saw some incredible erosion patterns on some stones up next to the abbey in Whitby - the sea air had created all these really deep swirly patterns in the stone. As grave markers they were totally useless, since all information had been erased, but they had become works of art instead.

I don't want a grave myself, I would prefer to be placed on a boat and then it set on fire, like in films about Vikings. However I envisage that it will be tricky to clear this with the Coastguard. If that doesn't work out then my second choice would be to be cremated and then the carbon compressed into a diamond. Third choice is to have ashes put into a firework and then sent up into the night sky. I would prefer to be a blue firework, although those are slightly more expensive.

Yes

RE: What are you thinking right now? - Ollie - 13-03-2013 10:46 AM

France trip, no more. I'm over it, instead I want to do a world challenge trip in Africa in 2014. It sounds much more exciting and interesting! Tongue