www.simsforums.com - the Sims series, computer games & other nonsense since March 2008.
What are you thinking right now? - Printable Version

+- www.simsforums.com - the Sims series, computer games & other nonsense since March 2008. (https://www.simsforums.com)
+-- Forum: The Sims Forums Community (/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Thread: What are you thinking right now? (/showthread.php?tid=7360)

RE: What are you thinking right now? - Minty - 04-07-2014 10:22 PM

I'm told by most I have a variable accent. I used to get cross with people asking me if I was on the phone to someone why I'd changed my accent & I'd ask them what they were talking about, but seems it's an unconscious habit, probably from years of dealing with the most ignorant part of the population south of Hadrian's Wall giving me the "I don't understand you Jockos with that accent" pish. Up here I'm often mistaken as being English or posh because I don't slur my words.

Back in my school days, the leader of the mental girl's gang used to tell me off with a genuine sense of offence (along with her mates) if I ever didn't speak "properly" (& anyone who laughed when she did swiftly regretted it). It was one of those quirks that between causing mayhem in the yard or classes, they'd get very put out if they ever heard me speak improperly.

It was only years later I realised that they'd always spoken properly amongst themselves in class, & it was one of the characteristics that made them stick out like sore thumbs. All of them came from poor families, on the social since what seemed like forever, victims of deindustrialisation when the breadwinners were middle aged & disinterest by successive local governments in retraining them after. As the rest of society changed with the times passing them by, they clung to what standards they could, & speaking properly - as once a large part of the British working class prided themselves upon - cost nothing.

There used to be a tv show up here called Scotland on film, where they interviewed some people from the old slums in Dundee back in the 40s or 50s, & at the risk of sounding a right snob I was taken aback at how "properly" they spoke, especially in comparison with what passes for speech today, my own included.

Egyptiandance Wacko Fryingpan

RE: What are you thinking right now? - Caspin - 05-07-2014 10:29 AM

I'm thinking today we have learned that Minty can adopt a variety of verbal disguises Smile

RE: What are you thinking right now? - Caspin - 05-07-2014 10:51 PM

Netherlands v Costa Rica

My nerves cannot take this!!!

RE: What are you thinking right now? - Minty - 08-07-2014 09:32 PM

I'm thinking I haven't saw a German side tear through another nation's side like this since France 1940! Biggrin

My neighbour was boasting to me he's stuck £100 on Brazil winning the tournament as it was "free money". Free money for the bookies, it was!

5-0 & it's not even the half hour! Hysterical!

RE: What are you thinking right now? - Caspin - 08-07-2014 09:51 PM

I am just staring incredulously at the TV!

RE: What are you thinking right now? - Minty - 09-07-2014 11:53 AM

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/brazilian-voodoo-priest-curse-germany-002021448.html#MUbQIq2

Germany will have to contend with black magic as well Brazil's Selecao in Tuesday's World Cup semi-final as a voodoo priest plans to curse die Mannschaft.

Brazil will be without injured superstar Neymar in Belo Horizonte, but black magic enthusiast Helio Sillman from Rio de Janeiro says his curse will hinder Joachim Loew's team in the semi-final.

"I'll take their top player and bind his legs so he can't run on the pitch," said Sillman, referring to the voodoo doll of an undisclosed German player that will be cursed in a ceremony before the game.

That went well! Biggrin

I have to take back all the mocking I did of Hibs fans who said their team's answer to the threat of relegation would be to play with Brazilian flair. I must now concede they were absolutely right. Sohappy

RE: What are you thinking right now? - Caspin - 09-07-2014 09:57 PM

I'm thinking tonight's match would seem boring even if there were five goals after all that excitement yesterday! Biggrin

RE: What are you thinking right now? - Minty - 11-07-2014 06:28 PM

I'm thinking if I water the garden now, I will only be half eaten alive by the insects instead of being completely eaten alive if I wait another hour.

RE: What are you thinking right now? - Caspin - 22-07-2014 07:30 PM

I'm thinking that my neighbours are getting weirder. There's a couple sitting on a blanket and having an extremely loud conversation in the garden. But it just doesn't make any sense. She seems to want to talk about her feelings and appears to be on the verge of proposing marriage. He, on the other hand, is intent on promoting some sort of pyramid scheme as well as wanting her to invest in his website. It's a puzzle. I wish they'd pipe down.

RE: What are you thinking right now? - Minty - 23-07-2014 11:17 AM

Two lovers at cross purposes? That's a match guaranteed to last!

People who do pyramid schemes, "network marketing" or any of the rest of those get rich quick cons are scary. It's like they're on drugs. They lose all sense of perspective & become obsessed with getting that one more sign up.

There was a guy I knew called Jared, one of the most level headed, sensible guys I knew, not prone to flights of fancy. He got into some "network marketing" scheme & managed to blow off every friendship he had. It was impossible to talk to him even in passing in the street any more without him trying to get you to "at least take this brochure", "come to this presentation" & so one.

In the end he ended up beaten up outside a local pub when he did one night, one person, one hundredth time to them & their mates too many, probably because by that stage people did know someone that had signed up for it & it had cost them money they couldn't afford to lose, not made any.

Did I tell you about the interview I went to where the manager was drunk?