Click me to see why these adverts are here

Login:
or Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Offical Book Thread :D
30-09-2012, 11:10 AM
RE: Offical Book Thread :D
Thinking of looking into some of Tom Clancy's books, the only problem I have is which one?

[Image: od8QQA8.png]

Quote this message in a reply
23-02-2013, 11:54 AM
Do you know I still haven't finished JK Rowling's book. I started reading it but after a few chapters I stopped. I know a few other people who also gave up and one person who had to force herself to get to the end. I think it's because the first few chapters are relentless introductions to the characters and I just got tired of it. Just launch into the story and I'll figure out who everyone is, I'm not an idiot!
01-03-2013, 08:12 PM
I gave up trying to read it when I found the new washing machine manual was written better and had a punchier plot.

Egyptiandance Wacko Fryingpan

[Image: 135762.jpg]
01-03-2013, 09:46 PM
Good, now I don't feel so bad that I couldn't get into it. I can only recall giving up on about two other books ever. Maybe JK has got her writing-for-adults out of her system now and go back to what she does best.
27-03-2013, 09:10 PM
Reading 'Lucky Jim' by Kingsley Amis, while sitting on the train. It seems that 100% of people feel compelled to have near constant mobile phone conversations while traveling, so I may go slowly mad. I seem to remember that there's something that really tickles me towards the end of this book.
27-03-2013, 11:30 PM
Reading "1688: The First Modern Revolution" by Steve Pincus. He may be a Yale Professor, but once he started coming out with stuff about James II being in league with Jesuit agents & England having the first modern democratic revolution instead of France my fiddlesticks & flapdoodle detector exploded. I'll see how long I can stick it out.

28-03-2013, 11:05 AM
I'm reading 1984. I was really enjoying it but it's turned into a bit of a textbook towards the end.

[center][Image: jZwBSkZFApwr9ym65iLlFoaGo1_500.jpg]
[center]
05-06-2013, 11:47 PM (This post was last modified: 05-06-2013 11:49 PM by Minty.)
I ended up cheating regarding book 4 of "A Song Of Ice & Fire" & decided to read the synopsis of it & book 5 on Wikipedia.

I'm glad I did, I would have been really pissed off had I read 1500 odd pages for what happened. Some of it I had guessed as much, but a lot of it seems pretty dull, a real anti-climax after the first three. Also the events of book 4 & 5 completely overlap, making it all pretty confusing - probably better off waiting for the TV series versions which will put everything back into proper context again.

The real bummer is there's two mega-Jumped The Shark parts to the plot; to say nothing of the fact that after all that massive building up regarding the dreaded undead White Walkers at the end of Series 2 of the TV series, guess what's happened with them three books onwards? Nothing. Zip. Eff all.

So for anyone that's thinking of starting reading the books because of the show, don't say you weren't warned. Stick to the TV series.

15-06-2013, 03:14 PM
That's the trouble, I think, with having watched the TV series first. The good news is that the author has briefed the TV people on what happens next, in case he carks it before finishing the whole set, since the books tend to be so giant and he takes ages writing them.

I am about to start reading a book gifted to me by a Spanish friend. It is a book of short stories called "While the Women are Sleeping" by Javier Marias. Fortunately he bought me an English translation because my Spanish does not extend beyond translating a menu and finding signage to the beach. I like short story collections - they are useful when commuting.
26-07-2013, 09:38 PM
I am now reading 'A Possible Life' by Sebastian Faulks. It is three or four stories in one volume. The first one was a rather sad WW2 one involving a slightly distressing chapter about Jewish kids going into the gas chambers. I still sometimes find it hard to grasp that people really do these things to other people. I hope the other stories are less upsetting or I won't be able to read them on the plane tomorrow. I have a back-up book but just flipped it over and can see from the back that it is also a war story. What the hell was I on when I packed this assortment!