Click me to see why these adverts are here

Login:
or Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Exploring your options
25-03-2008, 12:46 AM
Exploring your options
Say goodbye to The Sims 2's Wants and Fears system: Instead, Sims have Dreams -- which could be as simple as desiring a new pair of shoes as you pass by a clothing store or as complex as wanting to become an astronaut after seeing a shooting star. It's totally up to you whether you want to let the Dream fade unfulfilled (with no penalty) or turn it into a Promise -- with a capital P -- to pursue, with positive consequences if fulfilled and negative repercussions if ignored. Opt-in gameplay extends to work and play, too: Sims can set "work tones" to choose whether to get ahead in their career by actually working hard or by sleeping with the boss. Romance is an option, too, rather than the inevitable outcome of multiple conversations, as The Sims 3 lets you choose when if you want to be a flirt rather than just a being a friend.

Plusses: Humble's team feels that The Sims 2's Wants and Fears system was too dictatorial. Fair enough. I personally like the Wants half of the equations, but I'm totally fine with the Fears being gone -- those are arbitrary and annoying, and I welcome a system that's more flexible than The Sims 2's, which lets lifelong ambitions as "wants to be rich" or "wants to have a big family" dominate lives a bit too much.

Potential Pitfalls: "Optional" gameplay is tough -- and while asking players to make their own fun is a big part of The Sims' appeal, this might alienate those who are hoping for more concrete direction from their games. Also, how significant can rewards be if you're telling players "don't worry about it if you don't want to take the risk"?
Quote this message in a reply
25-03-2008, 12:48 AM
Re: Exploring your options
Thanks for posting, I believe I read this in GFW (Games for Windows) from Ben Bell (or whatever his name is)

New 17&quot; Laptop with wireless printer/scanner combo-$1,400<br />Sims 3 Pre-order-$70<br />College Books-$500<br />Being envied by your friends while they cram for exams and you play TS3- PRICELESS!!!!<br /><br />Forget Visa, Mastercard, and American Express- it pays to Discover!!!!
25-03-2008, 02:03 AM
(25-03-2008 12:46 AM)something link Wrote:Say goodbye to The Sims 2's Wants and Fears system: Instead, Sims have Dreams -- which could be as simple as desiring a new pair of shoes as you pass by a clothing store or as complex as wanting to become an astronaut after seeing a shooting star. It's totally up to you whether you want to let the Dream fade unfulfilled (with no penalty) or turn it into a Promise -- with a capital P -- to pursue, with positive consequences if fulfilled and negative repercussions if ignored. Opt-in gameplay extends to work and play, too: Sims can set "work tones" to choose whether to get ahead in their career by actually working hard or by sleeping with the boss. Romance is an option, too, rather than the inevitable outcome of multiple conversations, as The Sims 3 lets you choose when if you want to be a flirt rather than just a being a friend.

Plusses: Humble's team feels that The Sims 2's Wants and Fears system was too dictatorial. Fair enough. I personally like the Wants half of the equations, but I'm totally fine with the Fears being gone -- those are arbitrary and annoying, and I welcome a system that's more flexible than The Sims 2's, which lets lifelong ambitions as "wants to be rich" or "wants to have a big family" dominate lives a bit too much.

Potential Pitfalls: "Optional" gameplay is tough -- and while asking players to make their own fun is a big part of The Sims' appeal, this might alienate those who are hoping for more concrete direction from their games. Also, how significant can rewards be if you're telling players "don't worry about it if you don't want to take the risk"?

dreams sound cool - thnx 4 posting
25-03-2008, 02:49 AM
I also kind of liked the wants, im not sure how i feel about them being gone. I didnt really pay attention to the fears though and the wants did get repetative and stuff like how many times can i save you from death?