Click me to see why these adverts are here

Login:
or Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Caspin the Tramp
16-06-2012, 09:54 PM
Caspin the Tramp
I decided to start a new challenge, Tramping Round The Sims, following the guidelines that Minty posted. So here is my sim, plus her tent, being deposited in BlueBay Retreat (thank you to BluebellFlora), a world that I downloaded a good while ago but haven't got round to playing yet. Poor Caspin was unimpressed when I confiscated her laptop, scooter, bottles of nectar, rubber duck and, alas, every single simoleon, but hopefully she'll survive! I thought that it might be suitably tramp-like to live under the bridge, away from most of the other homes. The gym is not too far away but most of the houses/gardens with food are on the other side of town, so I guess she'll have to choose - shower or lunch today?

[Image: 01_Arrival.jpg]

The cheapest accommodation in this town would be one of the small starter houses at about $16000, or there is an apartment for about the same price. So that is my main goal - survive and live off the land until enough simoleons are collected to move into one of those residences. It seems like a lot of money right now! First up: find some food and sell enough collectibles to buy a bike.

More will follow Smile
Quote this message in a reply
17-06-2012, 08:18 AM
RE: Caspin the Tramp
In the beginning...

The graveyard is the nearest non-rabbithole lot to the tent so Caspin headed over there to search for edible and collectible items. There's a pond there so she started fishing. Unfortunately after several hours she had caught zero fish. Not one little tiddler. Damn! Time to move on. On the positive side, she gained a happy moodlet from her relaxing, if fruitless, fishing trip, and in addition performed the miracle of walking on water:

[Image: 02_WalkOnWater.jpg]

There were a few plants growing near the mausoleum so Caspin stopped to check them out. She is much more accomplished at gardening than fishing, but unfortunately these are death flowers - can't eat them, sell for zero money. Rubbish! Nearly the whole day gone and still nothing to eat and still $0 in her pocket.

[Image: 03_DeathflowersAreInedible.jpg]

A look at the map showed that the best source of harvest-able food, the nectary gardens and adjacent farmhouse, were some distance away. Caspin set off to walk there, now quite tired and hungry. She was only half-way there when it started to go dark (sims walk really slowly!) so she stopped once she reached the nearest cottage with a garden. So, now for a spot of vegetable plot theft. I guess she's thinking about red lights out of fear of the police being called, but this house is currently unoccupied and isolated so she was safe. Just be quick, grab those veggies!

[Image: 04_Theft.jpg]

And then start walking home again. I definitely need to get her a bicycle. Still, she netted a good haul of vegetables and fruit. Dinner was a plum and two tomatoes. I will sell the higher value produce and kept the rest to eat. Walking and walking and walking and walking...

[Image: 05_LotsOfWalking.jpg]

Caspin was glad to get back to the tent for a nice sleep. She planted a couple of veggies in a bid to become a subsistence farmer on her little plot.

Next day started with slight horror when the mailbox yielded bills. Bills! The precious simoleons must be given to the sim taxman - nooo!

[Image: 06_Bills.jpg]

Oh well, with only a tent and a bin on the lot, the bills were just $26, not too bad. Caspin paid them with the money earned from selling her stolen garlic, and had a couple of yellow peppers for breakfast before walking off to the gym to look for a shower.

Having got to grips with how to survive (relentlessly steal vegetables, day and night), the next few days passed more efficiently in a cycle of sleep - shower at the nearest gym - walk to nectary and farmhouse to steel produce - sleep.

More to follow soon Smile
17-06-2012, 08:20 AM
Great start! Big Grin

[Image: od8QQA8.png]

18-06-2012, 01:22 PM
Thanks!

Perils and Solutions

I thought that the hardest thing about this challenge would be that my sim would be frequently hungry. However it turns out that she can manage perfectly well on about four pieces of fruit/vegetables per day! I also thought that she would get really tired, but she likes sleeping in her tent and the occasional nap on a bench is a helpful top-up. Maybe it helps to have the heavy sleeper trait and it would be much harder if the town was really big and she couldn't get back to the tent as often.

It turns out that the hardest thing is that she is really lonely, in fact at times she has been desolate. It's rather sad to see, but also makes survival more difficult because she becomes too depressed to do essential tasks such as gardening. She tried talking to some stray animals, but two dogs ran off and a cat gave her a nasty scratch. She found a few smaller creatures (a womrat and some kind of lizard) but they were worth quite a bit of money so she ended up selling them. She tried to befriend a small bird but it vanished. Fortunately she has found a few people around the town willing to talk and I now make sure she has a conversation at least once every day.

So, on with the next set of pictures!

I wondered whether collecting scrap might be a good way to get money. Caspin had a good dig through small heaps of scrap:

[Image: 07_LittleScrapHeap.jpg]

And through really big heaps of scrap (this one looks like a sort of scrap tree):

[Image: 08_BigScrapTree.jpg]

She collected hundreds of bits of scrap, which sold for several hundred simoleons. However this is not as lucrative as selling the rarer and high quality vegetables available at the farmyard/nectary.

Here is poor Caspin Sim in an exhausted, lonely and less than hygienic state, having a sleep on a bench:

[Image: 09_SleepyTrampOnABench.jpg]

She was horribly lonely by this point, so I sent her along to the nectary, where she can chat with the owner as well as collect lots and lots of top quality grapes in all different varieties.

[Image: 10_LessDesolate.jpg]

[Image: 11_LotsOfGrapes.jpg]

I suppose she could have made some nectar from all those grapes, perhaps that's a good way to make money, but in the end she just sold off the most expensive bunches, keeping the cheaper varieties to eat.

Living rough in this way means that my sim does not keep to any sort of timetable. With no job and no family to organise the day around, she sleeps whenever she wants and harvests collectibles when the opportunity arises. This means that sometimes the night is spent collecting in the farmyard.

[Image: 12_NotAShower.jpg]

Sadly, even though she got caught up in the sprinklers, they did nothing at all to wash her. That is not a shower Caspin! So it was time for a long walk back across town to the gym for a lovely hot proper shower. Much better.

[Image: 13_ThatIsAShower.jpg]

The outcome of all these efforts has been... enough money for a new bike! Happy day! Now Caspin can zoom all over town and collect much more per day, easily returning to the gym or tent for a shower or a sleep. She is very happy!

[Image: 14_NewBike.jpg]

Big Grin
18-06-2012, 10:50 PM
Great so far! You have the bike - that makes so much of a difference on travel time. You're right about the loneliness part being the hardest, one of the reasons for growing plants for food was being able to talk to them! Biggrin

Egyptiandance Wacko Fryingpan

[Image: 135762.jpg]
19-06-2012, 02:00 PM
Good idea Minty! She could probably carry on a perfectly reasonable conversation with a carrot, more sensible than some of the conversations she seems to have with other sims!

Injustice

In today's edition, I am sorry to report that my sim has become a victim of crime. There she was, sleeping peacefully in her nice big tent, when a sneaky burglar turns up on the lot. At first I thought that the burglar was going to take the shiny new bike, but no, worse was to come. The criminal took my tent! Poor Caspin Sim woke up and got out of the tent only to have it taken away. Grrrr!

[Image: 15_StolenHouse.jpg]

The police showed up but it was far too late to catch the crook. Caspin gave the police officer a piece of her mind. "You total £*$!6*%$!"

[Image: 16_RubbishPoliceman.jpg]

So, a few hundred simoleons had to be spent on a new tent. I decided to just get the simpler, cheaper version in order to conserve funds. I like that she got the "Yay - new house" thought bubble!

[Image: 17_NewHouse.jpg]

Now she can get back to the daily grind of talking to wildlife and collecting vegetables. I hope that there will be no further involvement with the criminal elements in town Sad

I have no more pictures now until I play some more, hopefully at the weekend, so put your feet up and take a break Smile
19-06-2012, 03:08 PM
Nice start. Smile

And yeah, I hate it when the crook comes and takes away my stuff. I had that happen as well. They took my bike. >.>

Lookin forward to more. Smile
22-06-2012, 03:16 PM
Good story and looking forward to more. Yes
24-06-2012, 07:27 PM
The thief looking like she was on a Space Hopper (Hoppity Hop!). Burglars are a pain, and Sims shouldn't have to be brave to tackle them unless they have the coward trait.

[Image: 135762.jpg]
24-06-2012, 08:48 PM
Yup, she should have just clunked the thief on the head with her bicycle pump or whatever was to hand. Sims are so silly Smile