Click me to see why these adverts are here

Login:
or Register

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 2.67 Average
The New Official Movie Thread
03-10-2012, 11:39 AM
The New Official Movie Thread
I know we had one of these ages ago but I thought I'd start a new one rather than dredging up the old thread. I figured that since we had a book thread, it might be nice to have somewhere to talk about movies.

Anyway, I've been watching a ton of movies online lately which is great because I get to watch movies that I wouldn't be able to find otherwise (foreign films, independent movies, older movies). A few that I've seen (and enjoyed) recently are 2001: A Space Odyssey, which I thought was great, I love The Shining, so it was cool to see some more of Stanley Kubrick's work (A Clockwork Orange is next!); Some Like It Hot, which I didn't think I'd enjoy so much, but actually found really funny; and Before Sunrise/Sunset, both of which i really liked, and I'm really not a fan of that genre, usually... but something about them just got to me.

So, if anyone's seen a good movie recently (or not so recently), do share! I'd love to hear about it and check it out.

[center][Image: jZwBSkZFApwr9ym65iLlFoaGo1_500.jpg]
[center]
Quote this message in a reply
03-10-2012, 03:37 PM
RE: The New Official Movie Thread
The phrase "classic movie" is one that is so often overdone, but "Some Like It Hot" deserves the accolade. That it made Marilyn Munroe look like a talented actress was incredible enough, but it takes a rare script and perfect casting to have three sharing the limelight of a film so equally & so deserved. Tony Curtis and Jack Lemmon ham it up & camp it up wickedly, & Curtis always excelled at playing the bounder whose conscience gets the better of him in the end.

Oh, and the way Marilyn Munroe turned "I Wanna Be Loved By You" into her signature song, sigh!

"A Clockwork Orange" next? You like your movies with great soundtracks! Stonker of a movie (but a lousy unreadable book!) that was way ahead of its time.

If you like "2001: A Space Odyssey", try watching the darkly comic "Dark Star" which is free on You Tube.

"The Blues Brothers" movie was on earlier in the week on telly. Doesn't matter how many times I've watched it, I still end up watching it all over again for that dynamite soundtrack.

Egyptiandance Wacko Fryingpan

[Image: 135762.jpg]
03-10-2012, 04:45 PM
Let's see. The last film I watched was the new 'Anna Karenina'. I'm not sure I would have chosen it if there had been a choice to be made (because Ms Knightley annoys me a little) but the cinema I went to is old school and has only one screen, not like your jumbo Odeon with 50 films running consecutively! The good thing is that you can have beer in Ye Olde Cinema, or hot chocolate. And carrot cake on a paper plate! But I digress.

Anyway, the film was not what I had expected at all for a Tolstoy adaptation. The majority of it was set in an old theatre. It was really quite something. I liked it and I appreciated that they had done something really different, but I expect it's not everyone's cup of tea.
04-10-2012, 05:38 AM (This post was last modified: 04-10-2012 01:23 PM by Ollie.)
I just watched a pretty good movie on TV called Mitch Albom's for one more day. It was a bit sad, but good. To sum it all up, it's about some depressed man who gets to spend one day with his Mother who died eight years before. Smile
Oh and yes The Dark knight Rises (The newest movie that I saw at the cinemas) was AMAZING! (Nerdgasm)

[Image: od8QQA8.png]

04-10-2012, 08:42 PM
I think Keira Knightly was a stick on for "Anna Karenina" as she seems to get all those sort of parts now after "Dr Zhivago" - which to be fair she was good at, although about as realistic a Russian as those meerkats in those adverts.

Fancy that "Looper" movie Smile

05-10-2012, 08:24 PM
I'm looking forward to Skyfall. I love Bond movies Smile
18-10-2012, 11:03 AM
Watched for the first time in years "The Sweet Hereafter" last night. I'd forgotten what a brilliant & disgracefully underrated movie that was. Had it been made in Hollywood it would have cleaned up at the Oscars, but no, it's Canadian, so it got ignored, with Sarah Polley's phlegmatism the perfect foil to Ian Holm's money driven myopia.

Egyptiandance Wacko Fryingpan

19-10-2012, 05:13 AM
I might have to check that out. I don't know many Canadian movies.

[center][Image: jZwBSkZFApwr9ym65iLlFoaGo1_500.jpg]
[center]
27-10-2012, 11:27 AM
Going to see Skyfall tomorrow night. I wanted to go on Friday or Saturday night but all the good seats were taken (I like to sit in the middle) so Sunday was chosen. It has good reviews and I love Bond movies regardless so I am very excited!

Clapping
28-10-2012, 11:28 AM
I'm watching LA confidential, I love that movie.

[Image: od8QQA8.png]