Click me to see why these adverts are here

Login:
or Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Would you want to move to Mars?
25-05-2013, 06:35 PM
RE: Would you want to move to Mars?
It says here, in this article I'm reading, that NASA are developing 3D printers to supply food to colonies, if we ever manage to establish ourselves on Mars. Astronauts will take powdered foodstuffs and then print their meals. So far they have managed to print noodles, turkey loaf, bread and cake.
Quote this message in a reply
26-05-2013, 08:30 PM
Really? Shocked I thought those 3D printers were only capable of making models of stuff. The idea of eating food that processed is just ewwwwwwwww!

Egyptiandance Wacko Fryingpan

[Image: 135762.jpg]
26-05-2013, 10:27 PM (This post was last modified: 26-05-2013 10:28 PM by Caspin.)
But you eat Pringles! Tongue

The plan is to make powdered foodstuffs and then sterilise them. The powders will have a shelf-life of 15 years. So then you take them with you to Mars and use your printer to print out your dinner. It sounds mad doesn't it. They have successfully printed some foods but I don't think anyone has actually eaten them yet, as they need to make a food-grade 3D printer (although I don't doubt that someone's had a nibble on printed food - it would be hard to resist at least trying it, I reckon).

It's probably no worse than those packets of "space food" you can buy to take camping. If you've ever eaten the ice-cream in that range and survived, printed meatloaf probably no worse.

The future's going to be weird.

http://www.space.com/21308-3d-printing-n...-food.html
27-05-2013, 09:22 PM
At least NASA are testing all this stuff out in space first, that alone is reassuring - more reassuring than the press releases from that Big Brother In Space lot.

Still can't see why they can't simply send them with boil in the bag noodles with five sachets of powdered flavours - if medical students living in digs can survive on them for 5 years in St Andrews, outer space should be a doddle!

12-06-2013, 03:02 PM
Looks like Justin Bieber might be preparing himself to make an application for the space project.

[Image: BieberInSpace.png]
12-06-2013, 10:51 PM
That Richard Branson always gets to do what everyone else in the planet can only dream of, right down to blasting Justin Bieber & Ashton Kutcher into space!

13-06-2013, 09:16 AM
Biggrin True! They should hold a competition to decide who will press the button to launch the Bieber into space!

I was reading some more about going to Mars (no I am not considering becoming an astronaut!) and it said that the amount of radiation you would receive on a round trip to Mars would probably give you cancer - and that's just to get there and back, not spend time there. So goodness knows how they intend to shield their Mars Big Brother contestants from the radiation.

Also some people are speculating that there will be space war between the Mars colonists and people on Earth. Given that people on the same planet do seem to have a penchant for blowing each other up and starting wars, that seems a reasonable assumption, especially if the Mars colony lasted long enough for children to be born there - they might then consider themselves Martians rather than Earthlings. Yeah! So then I was thinking that if they have 3D printers maybe they could print themselves weapons but then I realised that might be tricky if they only have the powders to print food. Pizza guns that fire noodles! I feel a space edition of the Omelette Plan may be forthcoming.
14-06-2013, 10:48 AM
JB and Ashton Kutcher can stay up there, but I'll let Leonardo Decaprio pass, he's cool.

[Image: od8QQA8.png]

15-06-2013, 03:08 PM
I had to Google Ashton Kutcher to see who he was! Now that I am informed, yes I think he can go into space with the Bieber. Perhaps we should be allowed to nominate other people to be sent into space. I could produce a decent sized list at relatively short notice, I reckon!
11-01-2014, 10:57 AM
I qualify!

[Image: MarsQuals.jpg]

Tongue

According to the article, of the 1058 now shortlisted, 36 are Brits. I wonder if anyone I know applied. Biggrin