Click me to see why these adverts are here

Login:
or Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Game Of Thrones (since season four) Thread - Everything in HERE!
07-04-2014, 08:37 PM
RE: Game Of Thrones season four thread
Anyone ever told you what a tease you are? Biggrin

Sounds as though Series 4 is going to be amazing. I just loaned my box set of Series 1 to a colleague so that she and her husband can watch it. They have Sky so I expect they'll get addicted, watch all my box sets 1-3 to catch up and then charge ahead with their big old ugly satellite dish. It was quite fun to hand over a paper bag in the office and say "here, enjoy this violent pawn".

To be honest I can't stand to watch things episode by episode any more, with all that waiting in between - I need to store up a bunch of episodes and then watch them all in one go, even if that means staying up a whole night or something.

Be careful with your hot tea won't you. Yes
Quote this message in a reply
10-04-2014, 07:42 PM
Remembering our previous conversation on the General Nonsense thread on the subject, here's the deleted Pycelle & Tywin scene which reveals him to be an old fraud.

Egyptiandance Wacko Fryingpan

[Image: 135762.jpg]
11-04-2014, 08:53 AM
"Thank you for your poetic candour." That's a good line. I might try to use that!

I can see why they cut that scene out. It's quite long and, although I liked watching the fishing, displaying Pycelle's fraud more succinctly in the scene they left in was better. Too much chat just cuts out vital debauchery and fighting! Smile

You are breaking my resolve. I am starting to think I cannot wait another year or whatever for series 4, especially since it's so difficult to avoid spoilers when everyone around me is discussing it. I shall ponder my options over the weekend.
15-04-2014, 04:56 PM
The latest episode was brilliant, although they've certainly jumped far ahead in time. For those in the know, it is what's known as the Purple Wedding! Biggrin

Jaime getting put in his place by the Knight of Flowers was good fun, & you can see Cercei getting more & more out of control. Again, there's parts done far better, far tighter than have been done by the books, & all my fears this series was going to be the one it all fell flat have been eased.

Nice to see Varys back again, although he seems such a haggard soul these days. Pycelle is such a sleezy disgusting old creep it shouldn't have been his beard that Tyrion had cut off in series 2.

16-04-2014, 09:01 AM
Purple weddings now, is it. Sounds very colourful. I am still uming and ahing over whether to watch series 4 now or continue to wait. The trailer looked so good and I am having slight withdrawal symptoms from my GoT fix. And obviously you're not helping me! Tongue I'm glad you're enjoying it so much though.

I don't know if this will be of any interest, but here is an article about the economy of Westeros and an explanation of why they don't appear to have had an industrial revolution there.
23-04-2014, 12:18 AM
Loved that article, & that comment someone made about the long winters being such a deciding factor was perfect. It's no coincidence that technological progress stalls in climates where every day is a fight for survival.

Not sure about the knowledge hoarding by the Maesters being a factor like the church in medieval times. The destruction of the monasteries was an educational disaster that wasn't rectified if I remember until Cromwell flung money at universities & opening schools centuries later. Even so, there were still the universities existing long before that time. Meanwhile in the mosques of the Ottoman lands - which served as educational research places as well as of worship, innovations were there, but little was made from them.

The mother of all inventions is necessity. In a land where magic is real, there is little room for industrialisation, not yet anyway. Also you need an agrarian revolution before you can have the luxury of an industrial one. Once people are no longer needing to work the land 12 hours a day & the fruits of those labours are more substantial (what we take for granted as carrots are about 7 times the size of what they were up to the 18th century), both Lord & serf have time to think about innovation & the luxury of being able to risk experimentation without it meaning starvation if they guessed wrong.

Latest episode was plodding. Poor Tyrion's getting sat on again. I really don't like the new characters brought in. Oh, & could Littlefinger be any more of a scary obsessed creep if he tried - it's so obvious that he wants to get into Sansa Stark's knickers as a substitute for her mum, although I suppose it at least means he won't be getting his agents to fetch Cathryn Stark's body so he can have it kept stuffed in his chambers. I wouldn't put that one past him.

He still doesn't make my skin crawl as much as the Lannister twins ever will. They really scraped it this episode.

More Arya & the Hound though. I'm glad they're padding this part out & are using them as a way of debating the rights & wrongs of Westeros: Arya is the viewer's sense of justice & the Hound represents the reality of a vicious world where life is nasty, brutish & unless you can defend yourself also short.

I like the way they keep the Danys episodes so nice & short. They're finally realising how boring the whole "meanwhile in Essos" part is. "I am the Mother of Dragons, Breaker of Chains, Freer of Slaves, Washer of Dishes, Milk of Magnesia" zzzzzzz, she & her army wandering around in endless desert land (but somehow managing to find food) no longer interest me I'm afraid.

24-04-2014, 09:35 PM
I'm glad you enjoyed the article. Carrots used to be seven times smaller? Crumbs.

I can imagine that the slaves-in-desert routine would get a bit dull after a while, especially if more interesting things are occurring elsewhere. The ability to feed an army under such circumstances is mysterious - and to find enough water.
01-05-2014, 11:15 AM
Latest episode of GOT was - mmmm, dunno. They seem to be padding out Jaime more at this stage than I can remember in the book, but with two books occuring in the same time line it's easy to forget or become confused.

Much as I hate to admit it, I'm starting to like the way they've continued the storyline with him & Brianne in King's Landing. It's obvious it's not going to end up anything romantic (unless George RR Martin has a big bowl of stupid for breakfast), more a platonic love & "warts & all" admiration. Both have been reality checks for one another.

If the entire Martell or whatever they're called entourage haven't all died of syphillis by the next episode, I'm calling "game's a bogey" on the whole of series 4. Is this ALL they ever do?

Oh, we finally got an explanation for what the white walkers want all those babies for. Still don't get it though. If they were eating them it would be a bit more logical, if Sims 2. Biggrin

We also got to know who was responsible for the events of the Purple Wedding. Um, wasn't this supposed to be the series whodunnit?

02-05-2014, 09:36 AM
(01-05-2014 11:15 AM)Minty Wrote:  Much as I hate to admit it, I'm starting to like the way they've continued the storyline with him & Brianne in King's Landing. It's obvious it's not going to end up anything romantic (unless George RR Martin has a big bowl of stupid for breakfast), more a platonic love & "warts & all" admiration. Both have been reality checks for one another.

Good. I will enjoy that. I have long been cursed with close male friends' girlfriends/wives being unable to accept the fact that two people of different gender can have a life-long platonic friendship without it leading to something else, resulting in a whole load of unnecessary drama and bad feeling all round. Now I can say "what don't you get? - go watch Brianne and Jaime - it's like that!".

I must say you are doing a splendid job of commenting on these episodes without giving so much away that I need to slap you with the Skillet of Spoilerism! Fryingpan
09-05-2014, 11:01 PM
(07-04-2014 08:27 PM)Minty Wrote:  Anyone else saw the first episode of the new series yet? If not, let me know & I can do something about that! Wink

I am caving in. I think this weekend I shall obtain the episodes so far. Then I'll catch you up. Smile