Click me to see why these adverts are here

Login:
or Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Game Of Thrones (since season four) Thread - Everything in HERE!
17-05-2014, 04:01 PM
RE: Game Of Thrones season four thread
(17-05-2014 12:09 AM)Minty Wrote:  Did you know the stories doing the round as to the real reason Catelin Tully despised Jon Snow was nothing to do with him being Ned's illegitimate son? There's a story (not confirmed in the books) that is far more shocking & also makes a lot of sense.

Sounds interesting. Care to share? I'm all ears!

Yes
Quote this message in a reply
17-05-2014, 11:17 PM
OK. The rumour is Jon Snow is really half Targaryan, half Stark - the fruits of Rhaegar Targaryan's kidnap of Lyanna Stark which led to the rebellion putting Robert Baratheon on the throne & saw the Targaryan's exterminated. Lyanna's death was known to have been in a tower room with blood everywhere, but she lived long enough to extract a deathbed promise from Ned Stark. Was this blood really down to a messy birth (in the world GOT is based in deaths during childbirth would be a common hazard).

It is rumoured that Rhaegar's "kidnap" of Lyanna wasn't quite as forced as has been painted - that she was terrified of being married to a notorious drunkard & philanderer like Robert Baratheon, a house with a bad reputation for mistreating women (although not as bad as the Boltons!)

If all true, a lot of matters fall into place - Robert Baratheon would have demanded such a child be slaughtered as the living reminder that his beloved Lyanna was taken from him, & Jon's existence would also always put the Starks in danger of being seen as potential rebels to the throne. For Caitlin, Jon Snow doesn't represent a living insult as Ned's bar steward as everyone thinks, he represents someone whom if unmasked could see the Starks exterminated & destroyed (which has all but happened anyway, oh well!).

Ned gave the story that Jon Snow's mother was Edric Dayne's wet nurse, Wylla, but this cannot be true. A wet nurse's tasks include breast feeding noble's children (hence why they all looked like Nursey in Blackadder II - they were literally fattened up for the job). Edric Dayne is adamant that he & Jon Snow are "milk brothers" (shared the same wet nurse at the same time). But no wet nurse to nobility was allowed to have children of their own.

That's the theory anyway! Omg

Egyptiandance Wacko Fryingpan

[Image: 135762.jpg]
18-05-2014, 09:37 PM
Interesting. So he's half-Stark whichever story is right. Makes you want to rush in and paternity test the whole lot of them - no family tree would be left intact!
19-05-2014, 09:42 PM
There's rumours about Arya being a bit dodgy as well, but little to substantiate it. In the books one of the mysteries is why she & Jon Snow look so alike when they only share a father while the other Stark children all look like one another.

The one that's always got me is why no one appears to have asked where the hell could Sansa have ended up a ginger yet not a single Stark or Tully before her?

Episode 7 was a hoot. Ayra & The Hound's road trip, Brianne & Podrick's road trip (with special guest star), more Tyrion (with special guest stars), the Red Priestess having another wardrobe malfunction (zzzzzz), more Queening For Dummies from Danys & Her Merry Men & lots of fun at the Eyrie with Sansa, Littlefinger & The Wicked Witch of the North East - including Sansa doing a very bad copy of a certain scene by Saoirse Ronan in "The Lovely Bones".

Two events I've waited to see for a long time happened, one expected, & one big happy bonus. No more Tyrion slapping Joffrey? There is a replacement even more awesome! Sohappy

Every time I think there's going to be a dull episode there's always some treat waiting. How I'm gonna miss my fix next week (it's a holiday weekend in the US)

How many episodes are you up to now?

20-05-2014, 11:46 AM
I've still only seen the first four. I have a few to catch up on. I like to watch two or three at a time. Watching just one leaves me too hungry for more!
21-05-2014, 02:57 PM
Lena Hendry is in bother once again, this time for leaking onto her Instagram site a very big hint about what happens next week (which if true means they are doing events in the book the wrong way round, as the business of Tyrion's trial & aftermath should finish first).

Having rewatched the last episode again last night, I'm wondering how the Arya & the Hound part is now going to pan out & whether a part left open to interpretation in the books is now going to be rewritten less open ended. The whole Rob & Charlie Chaplin's granddaughter part was rewritten (although not the outcome) to make it tighter (he actually marries a minor household called the Westerlings, & his wife survives the Red Wedding. She ends up under the protection of Jaime Lannister, which is the start of him having doubts as in the current Series 4 about whether his family is worth fighting & scheming for), so they may redo the conclusion to Arya & the Hound when it comes.

05-06-2014, 11:32 AM
Chapter 8 has been & gone, with the big moment regarding Tyrion's fate taking place along with a fascinating conversation between him & Jaime. Was a lot messier than the book version, & it missed out the dirty trick that proved Cersei was responsible for trying to fix Tyrion's trial. It still went with the Hibs ending as I call it!

Meanwhile Danys needs a boot up her pear shaped for proving in one stroke that she's too young & stupid to rule (you will want to throttle her when you watch it); & Ramsey Snow with Theon Greyjoy-Reek is getting more like that silly drama Gallowglass by the moment. It's harder to say which one makes my skin crawl the more.

Oh, & Jon Snow's chav girlfriend partly redeemed herself today. Just.

They've changed another bit about the Hound & Arya again, & again it was better than the book. There's not been much humour this series & they've managed to make them the Brianne & Jaime comic relief replacements work pretty well. It's now looking certain that this whole bit is going to be rewritten, but in what way? I'm more fascinated with this than with anything else yet to come.

Egyptiandance Clapping Fryingpan

05-06-2014, 12:34 PM
Oh crumbs I am getting so far behind. I still have only watched the first four. I have number five ready to watch but need to obtain the others. I foresee a GOT fest at the weekend. Yay!
08-06-2014, 10:55 PM
After some technical hitches of the pull-out-your-hair-while-shouting-at-the-telly variety, plus some interruptions due to the phone ringing, I have achieved the watching of episode 5 hooray! A quieter episode than those that preceded it but that was ok by me! Not sure I could have coped with any immense excitement.

I was thinking about what you said about Sansa being ginger - wasn't her mum sort of red-headed? In the books I mean, because her mother and crazy aunt in the TV show certainly have enough red in their hair. You can get red hair appearing as a genetic throwback after generations of not-so-ginger haired kids anyhow. So I am setting aside suspicions about Sansa's hair. Tongue

Liked the bit with Arya adding her travel buddy to the end of her death wish list while he was trying to get to sleep a few metres away. And loved Cersei and her dad discussing appropriate periods of mourning before the next round of royal weddings. Yup, a fortnight should do it!
09-06-2014, 10:58 PM
Episode 9 won't be spoiling things too much by telling you that the long talked about attack on the wall by Mance's wilding army took place, which proved full of surprises, & was much better than the book. Some stunning set pieces, & although it wasn't quite Battle of Blackwater standard (more Return of the King with snow), it was good nail biting fun.

It does however leave me wondering how the final episode next week is going to wrap up in under an hour. They need to wrap up King's Landing, the Wall, Stannis Baratheon's loony entourage, Brianne & Pod's road trip and Arya & The Hound's road trip if season 5 isn't going to be a mess.

This means 12 minutes each. Even if they reduced four of them to 10 minutes to make the King's Landing finale 20 minutes, it's still gonna be messy.

I'm going to hazard a guess from previous finales they will pick 3 themes - going from the Wall to King's Landing to Brianne & Pod getting the finale, leaving Arya & the Hound out (along with the Eyrie nutters & Princess Pouty Chops in Essos) until next season perhaps to allow for rewrites as the dynamic duo have been getting such good write ups together.