Click me to see why these adverts are here

Login:
or Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
A thought about voices...
04-02-2009, 03:55 PM
A thought about voices...
Now, I'm sure some, if not most of you know that we can adjust the pitch for our sims voices right? I was just thinking, if EA are going to have us wait until June they might as well do some extra work and I'd like to propose my idea:

Accents. I think that would be quite exciting. I know accents differ depending on where you come from and one neighborhood isn't really big enough to support multiple accents, but if I wanted logic in TS I'd call it "The Humans" and just have them all speak English or Swedish. As for what they'd sound like I'd want them to be real stereotypical accents, because the exaggerated accents are usually funnier.
I wouldn't want every accent in the world though, but some of the most special like French or German (I find them special at least, I don't know about you), but since it's the Sims It might not even be real accents.

Anyway, let's toss some ideas around. I need something to get my mind off the delay... {glare}

&quot;Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.&quot;<br /><br />-- Terry Pratchett, Jingo<br />[Image: bannerIDSFkopia-1.jpg]
<br /><br />My Deviantart page<br />
Quote this message in a reply
05-02-2009, 04:29 AM
Re: A thought about voices...
This is a good idea, but even at this point, I think it'll be too hard to incorporate into the game.
If it was possible, yeah, you're right... accents would be funnnn =3 It would be so funny if your Sim made a new foreign friend and started 'adopting' their accent... you know what I mean, when you pick up the habits of others? I'm guilty of this myself {lol}

[center]<br />CHICKEN NUGGETS.<br />i'm eating some right now. no, you can't have any, you imbecile!
05-02-2009, 04:40 AM
Oooh, what about an accent slider? You can change it when you're young (it's easier when you're younger) and once you get to adult, you're stuck with it.

It coudl be really hard to change an accent for teens, but easier for children, and Really easy for toddlers. So when you get a friend with an accent, your two accent bars move towards each other.

Eg, Sim A's accent bar is at the extreme left of the scale, and he makes friends with Sim B, whose accent bar is at the extreme right of the scale. As sim A talks to sim S, sim A's bar will move towards the right, and sim B's will move to the left. Although it would have to be realy hard to pick up an accent. And if you talk to different sims, you can get varied accents, since not all sims would have extreme bar lenghts.

When you talk, the two sims' accent bars move closer together, until they're in the same place.

There could also be a trait that affects accent development.

[center][Image: RIVERBACK.png]
[/center]
05-02-2009, 05:18 AM
Yes, a slider would be awsome! And if there would be accents, even if it's really unlikely, there really should be traits as well. Like "*insert accent* lover" that would make it easier to build relationships with a sim who's got that accent as well as make it easier to adapt to that accent.

If not in the base game, then there might at least be a EP where the neighborhood is expanded and there are different parts with different accents. Like a Bon Vogage expansion, with accents.

&quot;Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.&quot;<br /><br />-- Terry Pratchett, Jingo<br />[Image: bannerIDSFkopia-1.jpg]
05-02-2009, 06:19 AM
I know they have the voice changer on mysims I wonder if it will be like that,but with more options.
06-02-2009, 09:09 PM
Yes! Just... YES. Accents are another one of those things that I've always wanted in the Sims. I have this group of characters that I want to incorporate into the Sims (who doesn't?) and one of them is supposed to be Russian. Very Russian. It is unthinkable, of course, to have a very Russian Sim without a very Russian accent. It simply does not work by any stretch of the imagination. Absolutely not.

Just as well, I'd love to have some more of the "mainstream" accents, if that makes sense, such as German, French, British, Jamaican, and others. Sunset Valley could be the proverbial "melting pot" if we, the cursors of God, so wish it. Big Grin
20-02-2009, 07:27 AM
Accents would be cool, yeah.

But, it'd be hard ... since they already speak a jumbled language, how could you make them ... sound different?

Member since March 17th, 2008
Forever and Always, a SimsForums Oldie
20-02-2009, 04:48 PM
(06-02-2009 09:09 PM)Ebony Lee link Wrote:Yes! Just... YES. Accents are another one of those things that I've always wanted in the Sims. I have this group of characters that I want to incorporate into the Sims (who doesn't?) and one of them is supposed to be Russian. Very Russian. It is unthinkable, of course, to have a very Russian Sim without a very Russian accent. It simply does not work by any stretch of the imagination. Absolutely not.

Just as well, I'd love to have some more of the "mainstream" accents, if that makes sense, such as German, French, British, Jamaican, and others. Sunset Valley could be the proverbial "melting pot" if we, the cursors of God, so wish it. Big Grin
OH YES!! Mainstreem is what accents are all about in games if you ask me  {lol} Just think about how fun it would be to hear them talk with eachother Big Grin

(20-02-2009 07:27 AM)MÅJIÇK link Wrote:Accents would be cool, yeah.

But, it'd be hard ... since they already speak a jumbled language, how could you make them ... sound different?

Well, since it's a wierd language they've been speaking since TS1, making it different isn't too hard in my brain. It's about how certain noises are made or the flow in the sentence. How some letters are rolled (like "arr" not "aar", in some accents these are vital differences) or how the words link together (I've been told that Swedish sounds like singing because the differences in how words are toned and how they link together). So making simlish have accent differences shouldn't be that hard really. I think that some NPCs actually have accent like voices, like the gypsie or the vampire in Making Magic, altough that could just be me.