or Register

Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
The Harry Potter Official Thread
28-03-2009, 11:13 PM
The Harry Potter Official Thread
Hey folks!

So, I know we have a HP thread, but it's old and cluttered with posts now... I wanted to start a fresh, clean, new one for the other HP fanatics. {yes}

Oki poke, I had a reread of the books the previous two months and it's sent me on another one of my infamous Potter-Highs!

I don't know how many major Potter fans there are here... I know there's Bambi and I. I know there a lot of people here who like HP but I'm not sure how many people are, obsessed?
Anyhow, I wanted to make this thread, fresh and new so we can discuss all things Pottery as we wait for HBP. Personally HBP will be one of the BEST things to happen to me this year. I have a lot of things going on later in this year, but this is very high up on the list of favorites, just ahead of TS3 by one place.

Some things I think would be amazingly awesome if we could do in the months leading us to HBP:
* Have a house sorting. I can't begin to explain how many times I used to join random forums just for the sorting when I was younger. I ALWAYS wanted to be in  Gryffindor. Since I got older, however, I always thought Slytherin was 'cooler', hehe. It has the bad boys, and they sport green scarves and ties! GREEN, folks. The best colour to have ever existed. Anyhoo, I totally think we should set-up some kind of sorting quiz (we can find one online or make up our own, whatever), so the frequent members of this thread can have their own houses. However, I don't really think there are THAT many HP fans to fabricate this idea... not sure... but thought I'd put it out there, anyway. I'm not too sure of the differences it would make, however, as it's not like a thread can have 'subthreads', otherwise each house could have their own common room, haha.
* Reread the series together. Bambi and Paul (if he were still here) may recall we did attempt this last year, to no avail. I don't think we throughly planned it. It'd be easier if we just read, say, 3-5 chapters a week, taking it slow. I know that'll take us MUCH longer than a few months, probably more like to the end of the YEAR, but all the more fun! Then we can come online at the end of the week and discuss those select chapters we read in detail. Sort of like, what they do over at the COSForums. But our own little version. =]
* Character Analysis. This is always a good time! Almost every character has a role to play in the story of Harry and his friends, be it minor or crucial. I love character discussions. Obviously the bigger characters usually provide the most diverse discussions but it's fun to pick details and ideas out of those smaller characters too.
* Films 1-5 discussions. The books may be superior but the films are a good time too. It's amazing how the actors changed in their roles, particularly from Movies 1-4, they changed a LOT between those films. They've reached a stage now (movies 5 & 6) where they look similar in both films. They're aging is more gradual and less apparent now. =[ Personally I thought they all looked the cutest when they were in POA. Rupert was so smexyy during that time, hehe! And Dan wasn't half bad, either. Wink But yeah, a good movie analysation wouldn't hurt, would it? Does anyone want to do that?
* HBP Predictions and Discussion. We've not got so much to predict anymore, after all the trailers and images that have reached the online fandom. But if there's some things we can scrape, which I am sure we can, then this would be fun. And even if we can't, we can always discuss the movie in deep detail once the film hits cinemas, right? Although it may need it's own thread for that... But I cannot wait for this film! Our first piece of fresh HP since Deathly Hallows, can you believe it? Almost two years straight with no Harry... this is probably one of the most difficult periods ever for HP fans. =]
* Deathly Hallows Film [1 & 2] Predictions and Discussion. TWO films! How amazing is this? I literally died, when I heard this news. Although, this is talking a while back. Was it 2007 or 2008 when they announced this? If it was 2008, it must have been  very early 2008. Either way, filming began in February, and since then a few pictures of Harry leaked. These films are the penultimate and final editions to the HP series of films. It's sad. =[ It took a whole 10 years (well, is going to take, anyway). But we have SO much to look forward to! Including an aged-up trio and their children at Platform 9 and three quarters!
* Write our own HP oneshot (or longer if you wish) FanFics. Everyone's read a HP Fanfic right? I've personally NEVER written one... well, I've tried a couple oneshots, but never published them, I'm too embarassed for that. It's not my writing I'm too fussed over, it's how I structure the characters... sometimes I feel I make them too out of character. There's only a few FF Authors out there who completely capture the trio's personalities flawlessly.
Either way, it could just be a bit of harmless fun. We could even write one large fanfic, each posting a section of the 'fic each, over and over until it's finished. Could be stupid, could be serious, whatever. =]
* News Posting. This is just for posting news updates in the Potter world that are worth discussing. Leaky and MuggleNet do post some pretty dull news these days, but that's not their fault, we did start having a news drought ever since DH came out, really. Hopefully it'll pump up closer to the film. But some news posts, like actors portraying our HP characters, and images/posters, trailers etc may be worth a little talk about, hey? =]

That's just a few ideas.. I'm sure there's way more we can do, but I'm sort of tired after typing all this, hehe. I'm not seeing many people taking an interest in this, but it doesn't hurt to let it all out, anyway. I love HP, it NEEDS an official thread. So... here it IS! (:

I'm hoping at least Bambi will take an interest in a few things I mentioned, and we can go back to our good old, rich discussions about HP. If anyone else loves Harry though, please, reply! Big Grin

[Image: mirandacosgrovecassie.png]
29-03-2009, 04:19 AM
Re: The Harry Potter Official Thread
Woo!!!!

I have always wanted to be in Ravenclaw. I also LOVE Luna! She is so ecentric(sp?)
29-03-2009, 05:37 PM
Gah! I love you!!

All of your ideas are BRILLIANT! I have to leave, like...now, but I just HAD to respond to this before I take off. You know me. XD

dateline= Wrote:Have a house sorting.
Ooohh wow, I use to do the same thing (meaning sign up on countless HP forums/sites just for the sake of being sorted into a house)! I'd nearly always get Ravenclaw or Gryffindor, but Slytherin took me in once or twice. Yay for green-ness! I think the only house I've never been sorted into is Hufflepuff, which is alright 'cause I've never been too fond of that house anyway. XD But I say who cares how many people like HP here, we definitely need to be sorted, just for kicks if nothing else.

dateline= Wrote:Reread the series together.
Aww, I DO remember that. Didn't work too well, but as you said, I blame it on the lack of planning. Plus, we all had a lot going on then, if I recall correctly. I agree, we should go by chapters this time, not by the book in its entirety. XD

dateline= Wrote:Character Analysis.
I love analysing the books/characters!! I think we started doing this, right before we went off on a rant about Jo's writing. XD

dateline= Wrote:Films 1-5 discussions.
I do, I do, I do!! I'm so upset that the Twilight DVD gets a midnight release party and HP doesn't. All about the hype, people...lame. While movies can never quite compare to books, the Harry Potter movies are far superior to Twilight, in my opinion. I think the HP movies do an amazing job at bringing the books to life. I agree, it's amazing to watch the actors/characters grow! I watched SS on ABC the other day, and everyone was so cute, especially the trio! I also realised how much I miss their uniforms and Hermione's wild hair, both of which are very rare in the later movies. But anyway, I'm getting ahead of myself. I'll save it for when we actually discuss. Smile

dateline= Wrote:HBP Predictions and Discussion.
Oh, wow...I hadn't realised that the movie will be the first HP gift since DH! Unless you count the fairytales Jo published last year, which I honestly don't, really. Don't worry, I'm sure we'll find something to say about HBP. XD

dateline= Wrote:Deathly Hallows Film [1 & 2] Predictions and Discussion.
Holy cow, can you IMAGINE how difficult the wait between movies is going to be? But it'll be SO worth it. Smile I think I lost my voice after finding out this news from screaming so much. XD What I think we should do is place a bet on where they'll divide the movies. They've given us some hints so far, such as the fact that Dobby will make it to the second installment, but I don't think they've officially named a spot yet. We should make a prediction. Smile

dateline= Wrote:Write our own HP oneshot (or longer if you wish) FanFics.
Aw, that'd be fun! I remember participating in a group FanFic which was meant to be something along the lines of the eighth book. It turned out kind of funny, though, because everyone, of course, has different understandings of characters and whatnot. But it'd be fun to try. Smile

dateline= Wrote:News Posting.
Of course. Smile

If I were to add an idea, I'd say we should also discuss, oh, I don't know, the Faith Hook? XD Whether or not we think it'll happen, what it'll be about if it does, etc. Smile

dateline= Wrote:I'm hoping at least Bambi will take an interest in a few things I mentioned, and we can go back to our good old, rich discussions about HP.

Oh my gosh, I've missed those! I can't even remember the last time I talked about Harry Potter with someone, especially the way we talked about it. Sad And it's one of my favourite things to do. XD

[center][Image: icon110.png]
[Image: 7.png]
[Image: 8.png]
<br />[Image: donutmanatee2.gif]
<br />It's...the doughnut manatee. XD
29-03-2009, 05:52 PM
i like harry potter, but i'm not liked obsessed. i've always wanted to try to read the books, so maybe i'll do the 3-5 chapters a week thing. i really like the first two movies, for some weird reason. i guess just remembering the days when i was like 4 and i would make my mom put harry potter in my VCR, while i played with a pretend kitchen. good times.

[center]<br />CHICKEN NUGGETS.<br />i'm eating some right now. no, you can't have any, you imbecile!
29-03-2009, 06:55 PM
Firstly, I just wanted to say, it's been a little sunny over here today, so I've been doing a bit of reading in my garden, just relaxing, and I've just came in about half an hour ago to discover HP & the COS is on the television! So, I'm watching that right now. WHAT a coinkidink that they choose to show a Potter film right at the time of my Potter-highs. =] And, it's been a while since I saw COS, too.

Now, back on topic. Smile

YAY, replies! Gah, I'm happy, I wondered if maybe I'd been a little to eccentric with that post and all the ideas would put people off. But, hence, the people here are too cool for that. Tongue

(29-03-2009 05:37 PM)Bambikins link Wrote:Gah! I love you!!

All of your ideas are BRILLIANT! I have to leave, like...now, but I just HAD to respond to this before I take off. You know me. XD

Hehe, thank you.  {blush} It honestly just occured to me that there is so much to explore with when it comes to Harry potter. And I know you love to discuss it too, and we've talked about how we miss these types of conversations, so I thought, hey, who's stopping us doing it all over again? And, I appreciate you replying before you had to go! Gives me something to, you know, reply to. {rolleyes} Big Grin

(29-03-2009 05:37 PM)Bambikins link Wrote:Ooohh wow, I use to do the same thing (meaning sign up on countless HP forums/sites just for the sake of being sorted into a house)! I'd nearly always get Ravenclaw or Gryffindor, but Slytherin took me in once or twice. Yay for green-ness! I think the only house I've never been sorted into is Hufflepuff, which is alright 'cause I've never been too fond of that house anyway. XD But I say who cares how many people like HP here, we definitely need to be sorted, just for kicks if nothing else.

True that. Smile I just think it'd be more cosy and add to the Potter atmosphere if we had our own 'houses'. Fingers crossed I get into Slytherin, but Ravenclaw seems like a very grounded house too. Gryffindor is a remarkable house also, but it's a little too typical for my liking. Almost everyone wants to be in Gryffindor. Whoever said we ccan't form our own prodigious group from a different house? Smile
As for Hufflepuff (or as I christened it, the Puff house), aww, I do pity them sometimes. The ones that don't have any particular prominent or meritorious talents or traits. If I'm being wholly honest, if Hogwarts were to exist in the real world, and I happened to actually be a witch, I would most likely be sent off to this house. I'm not particularly brave, nor intelligent and definitely not sly, I just feel this would probably be the house where I'd fit in the best. Not that I'd MIND being in the Puff house - if that's where I belonged, then so be it, but obviously I'd be more delighted to fit into one of the other houses.

(29-03-2009 05:37 PM)Bambikins link Wrote:Aww, I DO remember that. Didn't work too well, but as you said, I blame it on the lack of planning. Plus, we all had a lot going on then, if I recall correctly. I agree, we should go by chapters this time, not by the book in its entirety. XD
I'm actually really craving another read-through of the series. I was in the garden reading today, and while I was reading a good book, I had a real urge to just grab The Philosopher's Stone and get through the series once again. Well, in early June, my exams will be over and I'll have a couple of months to read through with you (and anyone else is they wanted to, of course =]), although to be perfectly honest I could start rereading at any time, as 3-5 chapters a week isn't an intense amount of reading. I'm ready to get reading whenever! I've never had a chance to thoroughly discuss the series in it's entirety, every single chapter, in depth. I think it'd be a zany way for me to unwind, and a lot of fun. Plus, who knows what little facts and theories will pick up along the way, right? Smile

(29-03-2009 05:37 PM)Bambikins link Wrote:I love analysing the books/characters!! I think we started doing this, right before we went off on a rant about Jo's writing. XD 
I do remember we had a very long discussion about Jo's writing techniques. And a little about a Faith Hook, to, if I recall correctly. Wink Not heard much word on that. I wonder how she's doing with that? Tongue
We could set out the character analysis by picking out characters from the chapters we're reading at that time, if we do decide to reread the series together that is. That way, they sort of knit together so while we're not only analysing the going-ons in a chapter, we're also thinking about those involved too.
Or we could just nominate a random character, be it crucial or small, to have a little (or large) talk about, whenever we get the feeling to talk about them.

(29-03-2009 05:37 PM)Bambikins link Wrote:I do, I do, I do!! I'm so upset that the Twilight DVD gets a midnight release party and HP doesn't. All about the hype, people...lame. While movies can never quite compare to books, the Harry Potter movies are far superior to Twilight, in my opinion. I think the HP movies do an amazing job at bringing the books to life. I agree, it's amazing to watch the actors/characters grow! I watched SS on ABC the other day, and everyone was so cute, especially the trio! I also realised how much I miss their uniforms and Hermione's wild hair, both of which are very rare in the later movies. But anyway, I'm getting ahead of myself. I'll save it for when we actually discuss. Smile
The DVD is getting a midnight release party? Wha-... the DVD? Wow. Right. Okay then. But... it's a DVD. Of a film everyone's already seen. But okay.

I was actually watching the KCA's last night. Twilight won best book. It won against Harry Potter. I wanted to cry. I thought our fandom was large and eager enough to ensure HP took that title. But... we all have to be let down once or twice, I guess. Twilight must have it's 15 minutes of fame, after all.

And, I completely agree, they were so CUTE in the first film. So small, especially Ron. Rupert is so darn adorkable in that film. 
And you know, I do miss seeing them in their uniform. There's too many scenes, nowadays, where they're sporting casual clothes. I do want to see them in their casual clothes, sure - nobody hangs about in their uniform all day, anyway. But I want to see more of them in their uniform, too. Not sure why, but it is a preference I hold for the films. It was Alfonso who started breaking them out of their uniform, and the trend has only continued and increased since then.

And Hermione's hair then = how it should always have been. Emma's hair now is blonde, and too silky and perfectly well groomed. Hermione needs brown, thick hair - it's part of her character to me. I know it's too late to break out of the pattern with Emma's hair that the films have now took on, but Emma would have doen nicely to have kept the bushy hair, at least for the first 3 or 4 films. It would have made her transformation for the Yule Ball, for example, a lot more extraordinary had we seen Emma discard the tangle of bushy hair for an elegant style - just like in the books. Personally, I didn't think Hermione looked that breathtaking at the ball, although that could have been because I thought the dress was awful, and was pink and not periwinkle blue as it should have been - although this could also be just because I've been used to seeing how Emma looks at premieres and similar events.

But anyway, see, I'm off rambling now too, hehe. So, we're up for a film analysation too? Smile

NOTE: Apparently my post was too big, as I keep getting an error when I try to send the post. So I'm splitting it into two and I'm about to post the second half. {yes}

29-03-2009, 06:59 PM
(29-03-2009 05:37 PM)Bambikins link Wrote:
Quote:Reread the series together.
Aww, I DO remember that. Didn't work too well, but as you said, I blame it on the lack of planning. Plus, we all had a lot going on then, if I recall correctly. I agree, we should go by chapters this time, not by the book in its entirety. XD

dateline= Wrote:
Quote:Deathly Hallows Film [1 & 2] Predictions and Discussion.
Holy cow, can you IMAGINE how difficult the wait between movies is going to be? But it'll be SO worth it. Smile I think I lost my voice after finding out this news from screaming so much. XD What I think we should do is place a bet on where they'll divide the movies. They've given us some hints so far, such as the fact that Dobby will make it to the second installment, but I don't think they've officially named a spot yet. We should make a prediction. Smile

First Bold.  I BLAME IT ON BAMBI, NOT PLANNING! XD

Second Bold. That sounds fun! I will have to reread the book though. It was a little confusing XD
29-03-2009, 07:01 PM
It's not letting me post the rest of my post. Is it THAT big? I keep getting an error....

29-03-2009, 07:02 PM
(29-03-2009 05:37 PM)Bambikins link Wrote:Oh, wow...I hadn't realised that the movie will be the first HP gift since DH! Unless you count the fairytales Jo published last year, which I honestly don't, really. Don't worry, I'm sure we'll find something to say about HBP. XD

You mean, The Tales of Beedle the Bard? My mum actually bought be the book not long ago, and I've yet to read it! This probably sounds terrible of me, but... I honestly, don't much care for the fairytales. I really only want to read about Harry's world, and his tale. I'm sure the book is a pleasant read and I'll definitely get round to it, but, eh, like you, I would not count it as a gift of any kind. DH was definitely our last until HBP. We've waited such a long time now...

(29-03-2009 05:37 PM)Bambikins link Wrote:Holy cow, can you IMAGINE how difficult the wait between movies is going to be? But it'll be SO worth it. Smile I think I lost my voice after finding out this news from screaming so much. XD What I think we should do is place a bet on where they'll divide the movies. They've given us some hints so far, such as the fact that Dobby will make it to the second installment, but I don't think they've officially named a spot yet. We should make a prediction. Smile

Oh, yes! I did read about the Dobby story! So, if Dobby does make it to part two, as it seems, then the film divide has to be past the Malfoy Manor chapter, as if my memory seres me well, that is the chapter poor Dobby perishes in. I definitely think we should take a long time whisking up some theories about this. It might be easier to figure out after we've reread the series, although by that time, it may have been revealed where the divide will happen. I'm pretty sure we know the book enough to work something out though - and if not, we can always just skim the boook and look for possible scenes that would be ideal to split the film at.

All I know is, the wait between these to films will be like having an endless cruciatus curse set on you for a whole year. When the first part ends, I'll be in utter agony! It'll end on such a cliffhanger, too. Not to mention they recently extended the wait. I think it was meant to be released in May 2011? But now it's July? It might only be a couple of months, but a couple of months of pure agony they will be.

NOTE: There is more to come... I'm having to split the post up into smaller pieces as it simply wont let me post it otherwise.

29-03-2009, 07:03 PM
(29-03-2009 05:37 PM)Bambikins link Wrote:Aw, that'd be fun! I remember participating in a group FanFic which was meant to be something along the lines of the eighth book. It turned out kind of funny, though, because everyone, of course, has different understandings of characters and whatnot. But it'd be fun to try. Smile

I reckon so! Group 'Fics always end up being hilairous, because as you said, everyone has different thoughts and understandings of characters and such. But all the more fun! :0

Although I might have a go at writing my own FanFic though, just for the thrll of writing I suppose. The be warned, I am not so great at character depiction.

(29-03-2009 05:37 PM)Bambikins link Wrote:Of course. Smile

If I were to add an idea, I'd say we should also discuss, oh, I don't know, the Faith Hook? XD Whether or not we think it'll happen, what it'll be about if it does, etc. Smile

AHH! I see you bright up the old Faith Hook too! Gah, I knew you wouldn't forget it either! I still stand by what I said - I DO think it'll happen. It'll srping up as a surprise for us, you'll see. Jo knows what she's doing. She's only not talking about it because she doesn't want to feel the enormous weight of pressure us rabid fans would place on her if we all knew about it and were waiting for it to come out. Though, I enjoy surprises. Even though it wont be a surprise per se, for us. But fear not. I shall enjoy reading that Faith Hook, one day, be it in 2 years, 5 years, or even 10 years, one day we'll have it in our hands. I know Jo (well, I don't, but, I know they'll be a Faith Hook).

I'm still not totally certain where it's going though. I would suppose we should sae this for later discussions, but honestly, where would the Faith Hook take place...? BEEFORE Harry's time at Hogwarts, perhaps focusing on lily and James and Severus' times their (personally I'd love this). Or life AFTER the war? I'd love this, too, to be honest. Maybe we'd get to learn more about what our characters became, and their children. Many people have even siggest a book of missing scenes, which would be interesting too. Heck, I'll be honest, I'll take anything and be happy about it! As long as it's not about Dobby and his many odd socks, of course, which MIGHT be a little dull, but hey, you never know do you? Wink

(29-03-2009 05:37 PM)Bambikins link Wrote:Oh my gosh, I've missed those! I can't even remember the last time I talked about Harry Potter with someone, especially the way we talked about it. Sad And it's one of my favourite things to do. XD

I had a great time with our epic posts regarding HP. Good to see it start up again.

And now, bring on the HBP movie, I say! I've had heard that it's too romanced-filled, however we'll have to wait to see for ourselves, I guess. Some romance is always good. Though I don't read these books for the romance alone, so I hope it's not as gushy as some say.

(29-03-2009 04:19 AM)Button Brad!!! link Wrote:Woo!!!!

I have always wanted to be in Ravenclaw. I also LOVE Luna! She is so ecentric(sp?)

I think out of all the characters, I am most like Luna. An odd pot, a little eccentric, but kindhearted. I love her. I really do. I so wanted her to elope with Neville.

(29-03-2009 05:52 PM)chanel;; link Wrote:i like harry potter, but i'm not liked obsessed. i've always wanted to try to read the books, so maybe i'll do the 3-5 chapters a week thing. i really like the first two movies, for some weird reason. i guess just remembering the days when i was like 4 and i would make my mom put harry potter in my VCR, while i played with a pretend kitchen. good times.

Hehe, the first two movies have something about them. They're very, very faithful to the books they're based upon, not to mention the cast were very young at these times and the Harry Potter mania was just beginning. I always get a tingling of nostalgia watching the first two.

NOTE: NOW I'm done. God knows why I kept getting an error. Must have been a very large post?

29-03-2009, 07:10 PM
(29-03-2009 06:55 PM)SmartPriceLightBulb link Wrote:I was actually watching the KCA's last night. Twilight won best book. It won against Harry Potter. I wanted to cry. I thought our fandom was large and eager enough to ensure HP took that title. But... we all have to be let down once or twice, I guess. Twilight must have it's 15 minutes of fame, after all.

And, I completely agree, they were so CUTE in the first film. So small, especially Ron. Rupert is so darn adorkable in that film. 
And you know, I do miss seeing them in their uniform. There's too many scenes, nowadays, where they're sporting casual clothes. I do want to see them in their casual clothes, sure - nobody hangs about in their uniform all day, anyway. But I want to see more of them in their uniform, too. Not sure why, but it is a preference I hold for the films. It was Alfonso who started breaking them out of their uniform, and the trend has only continued and increased since then.

But anyway, see, I'm off rambling now too, hehe. So, we're up for a film analysation too? Smile
Holy WOW thats big!

I am surprised that Twilight won too. But think about it. Twilight has all of the little kids and Middle school. Harry Potter has some adults and High school.  Think of who votes the KCA XD

Also, bold, Philosophers Stone XDD
Thread Closed