Click me to see why these adverts are here

Login:
or Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
unknown error installing/removing sims complete..
29-03-2009, 01:56 AM (This post was last modified: 29-03-2009 02:11 AM by omaha1290.)
unknown error installing/removing sims complete..
for some reason whenever i try to install the sims it starts the setup then says unknown error encountered aborting setup, and the same thing when i go to all programs and try and uninstall it, im running windows vista and i never had this problem when it i installed it awile ago. so i was wondering if anyone has had the same error or knows how to fix it. thanks
Quote this message in a reply
29-03-2009, 03:22 AM
Re: unknown error installing/removing sims complete..
Hmm...

Have you tried maybe restarting your computer? And are the game discs in good condition?

[center]
(08-09-2009 12:00 AM)Who's David pid=' Wrote:<br />OH NO. IT'S MIDNIGHT. *flaps wings*
[/center]<br />[center]
(03-09-2009 12:44 AM)Cassie Grint ;] pid=' Wrote:<br />I think this guy squashed my uterus at the themepark and it involved an inflatable hammer....<br />
[/center]<br />[center]
(26-03-2009 03:39 AM)Bambikins pid=' Wrote:<br />Haha, isn't it great? Wink Hopefully now I'll remember not to wink.
[/center]<br />[center]
(24-05-2008 12:56 PM)SHBambi pid=' Wrote:<br />I think I use way too many Wink smilies, though. Wink (&lt;--proof Wink) (&lt;--more proof...haha. {rolleyes})<br />
[/center]<br />[center]Bambi and I are twins with mild complications. XD[/center]<br />[center][center][Image: m113.gif]
[/center]<br />[center][size=7pt]Styrofoam wishes you a Happy Halloween![/size][/center]
29-03-2009, 03:30 AM
yes and yes, ive tried the manual uninstall from the support site using the registry but there wasnt a maxis file in there, ive tried running safe mode and nothing, deleting the files from the drive but it is still there in all programs and i try to uninstall and same error comes up.
29-03-2009, 03:41 AM
It might not work with Vista...

I once tried to install mine on a Vista system, and it said the correct disc was not in the drive when it was. If you have an XP system anywhere, try installing it on that to see if it works. If the only computer you have is the Vista machine, I suggest giving Maxis a ring and see what they can do for you.

[center]
(08-09-2009 12:00 AM)Who's David pid=' Wrote:<br />OH NO. IT'S MIDNIGHT. *flaps wings*
[/center]<br />[center]
(03-09-2009 12:44 AM)Cassie Grint ;] pid=' Wrote:<br />I think this guy squashed my uterus at the themepark and it involved an inflatable hammer....<br />
[/center]<br />[center]
(26-03-2009 03:39 AM)Bambikins pid=' Wrote:<br />Haha, isn't it great? Wink Hopefully now I'll remember not to wink.
[/center]<br />[center]
(24-05-2008 12:56 PM)SHBambi pid=' Wrote:<br />I think I use way too many Wink smilies, though. Wink (&lt;--proof Wink) (&lt;--more proof...haha. {rolleyes})<br />
[/center]<br />[center]Bambi and I are twins with mild complications. XD[/center]<br />[center][center][Image: m113.gif]
[/center]<br />[center][size=7pt]Styrofoam wishes you a Happy Halloween![/size][/center]
29-03-2009, 08:54 PM
Have you tried the sim disk cleaner thing on your computer? If you The Sims Complete Collection, you should have it on one of the disks.

[center]<br />“Be vewy, vewy quiet. We’re hunting demons.”<br />- Phoebe Halliwell<br /><br />My Sims 2 Stories and Legacies<br /><br />| Halliwell Asylum | The Willams's Legacy | The Peterson Story |<br />| Eyra - Prosperity Challenge | The Picker Family - Uglacy | <br /><br />My Sims 3 Stories and Legacies<br /> <br />| Role Legacy | Sim Share 2 | Sim Share 3 | SimsForums Legacy |<br /><br />There's new updates for the Picker Family<br /><br />| LJ | Website |<br />[/center]
29-03-2009, 11:45 PM
the registry eraser or whatever its called? if thats it then yes i have multiple times
29-03-2009, 11:47 PM
Have you tried calling Maxis/EA like I suggested?

[center]
[/center]<br />[center]
[/center]<br />[center]
[/center]<br />[center]
02-04-2009, 09:07 PM
okay well i finally got it uninstalled which i feel kind of dumb cause i went into the reg edit thing from run and searched sims complete collection and deleted everything that had to do with the sims. and now its gone, but now all of the sudden when i try and install it i get another error saying error getting sku number from registry aborting installation,  {unsure} any of you guys ever got that error or have any idea how to fix it lol
02-04-2009, 09:12 PM
I’m sorry for the difficulty that you are having with The Sims.

An improper installation or corruption of the game data can not only prevent the game from loading, but can cause the game to crash at seemingly random but very specific points in the game. When such an occurrence happens, it’s best to manually remove all of the components to make sure that next installation does not run into the same issues. To do a manual uninstall for The Sims and expansion follow these steps (instructions referencing an expansion you do not own should be ignored):

Delete the game folders.

Click on the Start button.
Click on the Run button.
Type C:\Program Files\Maxis or into the text field, and press OK.
Note : If you changed the install path for the game during the initial installation, you will need to type that into the text field in lieu of the previous path.
Right-click on the The Sims folder and select Delete.
When prompted if you are sure, select Yes.
Once deleted, click on the Start button.
Click on All Programs.
Click on the Maxis folder.
Right-click on the The Sims folder and select Delete.

Delete the game registry keys.(Warning: Changes to the registry can cause your computer to operate improperly, so please follow these instructions exactly as they are written.)

Follow these steps to back-up the registry so that should something go wrong, you can restore your system back to a working state:

Click on Run.
Type regedit into the available text field, and press OK.
If you are using Windows 2000/XP, click on File on the tool bar, and select Export.
If you are using Windows 95/98/ME, click on Registry on the tool bar, and select Export Registry File
Check All under Export Range.
Type registry_archive into the File name field, and click Save.
Close the Registry Editor by clicking on the X in the top right corner of the window.
Follow these steps to remove the game registry keys from your system. (instructions referencing an expansion you do not own should be ignored):

Click on Run.
Double-click on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
Double-click on SOFTWARE.
Double-click on Electronic Arts.
Double-click on Maxis.
Right-click on the folders listed below and select Delete:
The Sims
The Sims Livin’ Large
The Sims House Party
The Sims Hot Date
The Sims Vacation
The Sims Unleashed
The Sims Superstar
The Sims Makin’ Magic
or
The Sims Complete Collection
Click on the minus sign next to Maxis.
Double-click on Microsoft.
Double-click on Windows.
Double-click on CurrentVersion.
Double-click on Uninstall.
Right-click on the following folders, and select Delete to remove them:
The Sims – The Original Sims
{2727FBEF-3155-11D4-8F73-0050DA0F6297} – The Sims Livin’ Large
{10798AE3-DCBB-43C3-9C93-C23512427E25 } – The Sims Deluxe
{7D268154-7A31-40F2-9779-7A250914BB39} – The Sims House Party
{017E65B1-7484-461A-B16F-7C931166083B} – The Sims Hot Date
{3D9231F6-A287-4222-9EBC-519BB206F590} – The Sims Vacation
{7C32C567-DC0F-4C80-B06C-7873850A2E06} – The Sims Unleashed
{1A7F8DF6-5A3E-4CDF-BC82-BE26B407E21B } – The Sims Superstar
{9A00D1BA-D03A-44E5-AF28-86A1F377DF61} – The Sims Makin’ Magic
{F2527115-B8BF-4FDB-B5DA-5AADFB7C13E1} - The Sims Complete Collection
Close the Registry Editor by clicking on the X in the top right corner of the window.

Follow these steps to restore your registry, should you notice any issues after removing the previous keys.

Click on Run.
If you are using Windows 2000/XP do the following:
Click on File on the tool bar, and select Import.
Select the file registry_archive.reg and click Open.
If you are using Windows 95/98/ME do the following:
Click on Registry on the tool bar, and select Import Registry File…
Select the file registry_archive.reg and click Open.
Your registry is now successfully restored; close the Registry Editor by clicking on the X in the top right corner of the window.

[center]
[/center]<br />[center]
[/center]<br />[center]
[/center]<br />[center]
02-04-2009, 09:27 PM
oh boy, well idk if im screwed or what, but when i first posted about this problem i had tried what you just posted and made the backup, but before i used the back up i tried started at the beginning of your post, but as i said i just got done deleting all the sims stuff in my registry so there weren't any sims files in my registry so then i tried it with the registry backup i made before and now im back to my original post i get the unknown error aborting installation, rofl i think if i want to play the sims again i might just have to reboot my comp to when i bought it or is there anything elce i can try?