Click me to see why these adverts are here

Login:
or Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
The future, where is it?
06-03-2010, 06:21 AM
The future, where is it?
So. We are in the year 2010. Yet, we have no flying cars yet, more space exploration, and we are still, the same as we were in 2000. Where's the advanced science? where's the new technological advances where we can maybe travel back in time or why don't we live like in Starwars or the Jetsons?

I remember in 6th grade that my substitute teacher commented that back when he was small in the 70s, he thought that we were going to have a lot of advance stuff like in Starwars in the 21st century. Here we are, still the same, no different.

Though I know that we have made good advances in technology and health but still, in my opinion, we have not gone that far yet.

Are we in the future without knowing it? Are we going to see major differences in the future?

Just decided to comment on what my brain and television is telling me. Tongue
Quote this message in a reply
06-03-2010, 07:40 AM
Re: The future, where is it?
No advances in science?  HARDLY!

We've had leaps and bounds in Science; back in 2000 Cell Phones weren't anywhere NEAR what they are today, Medical Science has progressed beyond our imaginations.  I mean, hell, I just saw a commercial the other day for a Cell Phone application that lets you turn your house lights on or off!  And you saying there's been no advances in science?

Plus, they ARE working on a flying car, right now it can only go about 40 feet and can only hold 2 passangers. As awesome as a Flying car would be, we can't even control our cars in 2 dimension, can you imagine trying to control traffic patterns in 3 dimensions?  I don't think man kind will EVER be ready for that.

Keep in mind, there are still another 90 years before this century is over, and what we've advanced in just ten years ... imagine 90 years from now!  As for living with the Starwars/Jetsons ... no thanks, I'm happy right where I am.

Member since March 17th, 2008
Forever and Always, a SimsForums Oldie
06-03-2010, 08:04 AM
Haha, it's not that there haven't been advances in technology it's just that the change has been so gradual we don't really notice it. It's pretty amazing when you think about it that I'm writing this on a tiny iPod safe and warm in my bed.

I definately understand what you're talking about, though. I mean where ARE the flying cars and matching silver jumpsuits. What about time travel? Space tourism? (well actually that is possible if you have themoney xD)

[center][Image: jZwBSkZFApwr9ym65iLlFoaGo1_500.jpg]
[center]
06-03-2010, 08:26 AM
yeah I kind of agree what Jen says. We have done some AMAZING advances in 10 years. But maybe it is gradual or maybe we don't notice it.
06-03-2010, 09:31 AM
Imo science and technology has really advanced during the eighties/nineties. Yes, no flying cars and how people thought it would be 40 years ago but still. And as Robert said, we don't really notice it because it was so gradual. Plus, we were born when technology has already advanced. The people who would notice it the most are our grandparents.

(12-04-2010 10:57 PM)CassieeBethh Wrote:Toilet seats are just yucky. Like... it's just wrong when you think how many butts have been on it.
Joined SF March 19th 2008
06-03-2010, 09:38 AM
yeah probably. My teachers say that we're lucky that we are in the technological age where anything can be found fast online in the internet. Like when we do homework and stuff we can just look it up online instead of books (thank God).
06-03-2010, 10:08 AM
That's true.

Like everyone else has said, there has been a lot of technological advances but we just haven't noticed. We probably just take it for granted too. But I do understand what you mean. We haven't really seen anything 'out of this world', so to speak. However, in the next couple of years, you can bet there is going to be a lot more things that will be amazing. If you're not familiar with the concept of nanotechnology, you will be soon. Things will get smaller and thinner, & things will get easier to use.

Just be patient. xD

[center][Image: CrowdSpringSiggy.jpg]
[/center]
06-03-2010, 10:30 AM
Even smaller? {freaked}

IMO the last ten years of course we advanced, but nothing compared to life throughout the last decade. 1900 through to 2000 had to hold the biggest changes of any century, right? So much changed in 100 years, it's strange.

You can't expect this next decade to move as fast as that one, but you never know. We will definitely advance dramatically. Not sure if our vision of what the world might be in, say, 30 years, is very on track though. Need I remind you of Back to the Future 2? =P

[Image: mirandacosgrovecassie.png]
06-03-2010, 10:43 AM
Also, the major technological changes have already come. So I think the decades to come there will be smaller more gradual changes.

(12-04-2010 10:57 PM)CassieeBethh Wrote:Toilet seats are just yucky. Like... it's just wrong when you think how many butts have been on it.
Joined SF March 19th 2008
07-03-2010, 01:49 AM
(06-03-2010 10:30 AM)CassieeBethh link Wrote:Even smaller? {freaked}

IMO the last ten years of course we advanced, but nothing compared to life throughout the last decade. 1900 through to 2000 had to hold the biggest changes of any century, right? So much changed in 100 years, it's strange.

You can't expect this next decade to move as fast as that one, but you never know. We will definitely advance dramatically. Not sure if our vision of what the world might be in, say, 30 years, is very on track though. Need I remind you of Back to the Future 2? =P
I'm too lazy to right lots xD but to comment;
I think we just might advance in this century. The farther we are into technology, the easier I think its going to be to advance.
Look at how slow we progressed in ancient times? and look at these past few centuries...

I LOST MY SIGNATURE! No, Really I did. Sad

[Image: 2gy7r10.jpg]

And now you've got it back, along with your Kurt Cobain avatar! ;P