Click me to see why these adverts are here

Login:
or Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
More realistic aging?
23-03-2008, 03:06 PM
More realistic aging?
Does anyone know if the game will have the same aging system as The Sims 2? I always thought it was a little narrow. Weird for kids to go straight to teens who can drive cars. Very strange for kids who can barely walk to be school-ready overnight. I always though it would be good to have:

Baby --> Toddler --> Young child (3-5) --> Older child (6-9) --> Preteen (10-12) --> Young Teen (13-15) --> Older Teen (16-19) --> Young Adult (20-25) --> Adult (25-40) --> Mature Adult (40-55) --> Elder (55+)

The numbers inside the paranthesis refer to the age in "human years". Each life-stage would also be a little longer and more proportionally correct. It doesn't make sense for 16+ teens to have twice as much time as 6+ children. I set up a chart that went something like this:

Baby: 3 days
Toddler: 4 days
Young Child: 4 days
Older Child: 6 days
Preteen: 5 days
Young Teen: 5 days
Older Teen: 8 days (because everyone thinks teens are more fun to play)
Young Adult: Time it takes to graduate college, or about 10 days (I was a bit fuzzy here, but I always thought sims who didn't want to go to college should get to be Young Adults anyway)
Adult: 25 days
Mature Adult: 20 days (because it doesn't need to be 100% realistic)

This system adds up pretty well, with amount of years in proportion to amount of days, how long it takes to raise a kid, etc.

So, what are people's opinions of this? How do you think aging will work? Does anyone know anything about it?
Quote this message in a reply
23-03-2008, 03:09 PM
Re: More realistic aging?
Really good aging system!
Hope this ends up on the game
Have some karma!
;D

[glow=red,2,300]2009 will be a good year indeed![/glow]
23-03-2008, 03:14 PM
(23-03-2008 03:09 PM)avrilfan2604 link Wrote:Really good aging system!
Have some karma!
;D

Thanks!

I was a little too late writing down my wishes for what the Sims 3 should look like... Had I done it a year earlier, I would have managed to send it off to EA before production had got to far. Don't think it would matter now. I have thirteen pages of wishful thinking now. Ah, well!
23-03-2008, 03:20 PM
(23-03-2008 03:14 PM)MaiaMadness link Wrote:[quote author=avrilfan2604 link=topic=947.msg18357#msg18357 date=1206281394]
Have some karma!
;D

Thanks!

I was a little too late writing down my wishes for what the Sims 3 should look like... Had I done it a year earlier, I would have managed to send it off to EA before production had got to far. Don't think it would matter now. I have thirteen pages of wishful thinking now. Ah, well!
[/quote]

Yeah, well that's right. Now we just have to wait and see if they had thought up as good an aging system as you have. I hope they did because I think the TS2 sytem was way too sudden.
23-03-2008, 03:30 PM
Seems like you put a lot of effort into this. Hooray for you! I hope it plays out like your idea, too. It would be much more realistic and there's plenty more age groups, so that's great for me because I love it when my Sim gets to a birthday (excluding Elder, hate that Lifestage!) so I wouldn't have to go so long without a birthday. Of course if they did gradual aging I would be out of my mind with joy. But of course they can still do the age groups like you explained just with gradual againg in it too! That would be brill!

[Image: mirandacosgrovecassie.png]
23-03-2008, 03:44 PM
Have some karma!
23-03-2008, 04:12 PM
(23-03-2008 03:30 PM)Cassie link Wrote:Seems like you put a lot of effort into this. Hooray for you! I hope it plays out like your idea, too. It would be much more realistic and there's plenty more age groups, so that's great for me because I love it when my Sim gets to a birthday (excluding Elder, hate that Lifestage!) so I wouldn't have to go so long without a birthday. Of course if they did gradual aging I would be out of my mind with joy. But of course they can still do the age groups like you explained just with gradual againg in it too! That would be brill!

I don't really believe in gradual aging, because I think it would be too difficult to pull off. First of all, nothing like that has ever been done before. They would have to design an entirely new game engine. There are no games out there that have the required physics for gradual aging. Second, it would be hard to pull of when it comes to voiceover, animations and wardrobe. Third, all that data would take up a LOT of space, and the game would be even bigger (and slower on not-so-high-end-computers) than it probably already is.

That's why I'm hoping for a similar aging system to The Sims 2, but with more life stages.

I predicted the aging system for The Sims 2, though (back around the time when The Sims Unleashed came out), so who knows? Maybe this prediction will come true, as well. I also predicted a skin-tone and eye-colour slider for The Sims 3, which, according to what I've read, appears to be pretty much what they've done. Maybe I should become a game designer?
23-03-2008, 04:21 PM
Lol good predictions! Maybe you should be a game designer? If I ever had the option, I sure would!  ;D

But yes, I totally understand what you're saying, and I agree it would be very hard to pull gradual aging off. However, I did read that Adults will gradually gain wrinkles and gradually become Elders. So that got it into my head that if it is possible for the Adult to Elder transition, why not other age groups. I would be a little dissapointed if the game did not have gradual aging, however if it had a process like you designed for aging, I wouldn't mind at all to be honest. As long as there's some fresh new age groups that make aging more realistic, then I'm happy!

23-03-2008, 04:33 PM
That's a good aging system. Here's a Hooray! for you Smile
Your system adds up to 90 days. That's not much longer than the system in TS2 is it?
23-03-2008, 04:35 PM
I don't know how many days a Sim lives as I always kill off the Elders after a while. But 90 days sounds about right to me.